Stansbury

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Recruiting will not improve as long as PJ is the head coach.Some of you guys think that Roof is the problem with his defense. He is no bigger problem than PJ with his offense that most recruits do not want to play in. And, please, please don't respond with that drivel " well, who you gonna get thats better" or "PJ is the best coach that Tech can have" . Let Todd look at our football situation and determine if this is the best we can do.

Wait, so we have to continue to read your "drivel" constantly bashing CPJ, but anyone that wants to defend him has to "Let Todd look at our football situation and determine if this is the best we can do?" Sure, that seems fair. (y):facepalm::rolleyes:o_O:asshat:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Are you saying that APR affects all other schools comparably to GT? If not, how has relative standong remained unchanged?

we tend to remember the negatives but forget other mitigating circumstances....for instance, better facilities, much nicer campus, increasing improvement of the "ratio", expanded majors, etc. Also, remember when the 4th year of math and other changes were made at the HS level? many thought that the pool from which GT could recruit would be broader. So, in total, the +'s and -'s balance out and leave GT relatively fixed in the world of recruiting...worse off than some, better off than others. I don't believe any coach at GT has operated under significantly different circumstances relative to the rest of the college FB universe than any of the others. Maybe Curry had the worst set of circumstances dealt to him given where we were at the time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
we tend to remember the negatives but forget other mitigating circumstances....for instance, better facilities, much nicer campus, increasing improvement of the "ratio", expanded majors, etc. Also, remember when the 4th year of math and other changes were made at the HS level? many thought that the pool from which GT could recruit would be broader. So, in total, the +'s and -'s balance out and leave GT relatively fixed in the world of recruiting...worse off than some, better off than others. I don't believe any coach at GT has operated under significantly different circumstances relative to the rest of the college FB universe than any of the others. Maybe Curry had the worst set of circumstances dealt to him given where we were at the time.

Is that a yes? Or, if you think APR does negatively affect Tech more, what helps them more than it helps others?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Is that a yes? Or, if you think APR does negatively affect Tech more, what helps them more than it helps others?

I honestly don't have any idea how other schools are effected by APR. But, for the sake of conversation, let's assume that it is a worse for GT than other schools. So, to your question, our +'s or selling points are....world class education, competitive athletics in one of (if not the) best FB conference, urban location in a desirable city, incredible networking opportunities, easy city to travel to/from, recent SA's who have achieved success in their fields outside of FB to serve as examples of what GT has to offer, and proximity to the Varsity! :) Very few schools can offer what we do as a total package. Of course it isn't for everybody as we all know.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't have any idea how other schools are effected by APR. But, for the sake of conversation, let's assume that it is a worse for GT than other schools. So, to your question, our +'s or selling points are....world class education, competitive athletics in one of (if not the) best FB conference, urban location in a desirable city, incredible networking opportunities, easy city to travel to/from, recent SA's who have achieved success in their fields outside of FB to serve as examples of what GT has to offer, and proximity to the Varsity! :) Very few schools can offer what we do as a total package. Of course it isn't for everybody as we all know.

All of those were true before APR.

For the relative recruiting challenge to be the same now as before, there would have to be a change that benefits GT as much as requiring progress to degree hurts.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
All of those were true before APR.

For the relative recruiting challenge to be the same now as before, there would have to be a change that benefits GT as much as requiring progress to degree hurts.

I have already mentioned a few...for instance, the campus is much, much nicer since I got out and continues to grow and improve. And the % of female students has been steadily increasing. This was always said (and perhaps rightfully so) to be a negative in recruiting. Are we Auburn or Uga or UF in this regard? No, but relative to ourselves the growth has been much more than incremental. Exponential? For all intents and purposes, it was basically an all male campus at one time. And I don't have to go back very far to say this. Another change...the ever expanding and increasing majors that are offered that were not available in the recent past. Again, we are not UF or any other large state school, but relative to ourselves it has been a drastic improvement. So, I would say a net-net keeping us relatively fixed in our position in the recruiting pecking order.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I remember walking by the little marker for Sideways. Didn't you used to have him for an Avatar picture?
No, I did not. My father, class of 1950 in Textile Engineering, told me that he would come out of the old French textile building and Sideways would greet the men as they were changing class.

slugboy

Staff member
Bunch of photos at this Google search link. Some are from this AJC slide show.
Maybe you want to grab this one?
photos.medleyphoto.3631228.jpg

or this one?
I remember an Econ professor kicking a pooch out of his class, and the class was PO'ed--we had a habit and tradition of being friendly to pets in the classroom. And that was in the 80's.