Stansbury Seat Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
So we had at least $75mil available? But I keep seeing comments about us not having the money to fire CGC or hire a new staff? Even if we spent $15mil buying out Geoff and the rest of the staff, $60mil sure seems like it would be enough to provide a substantial upgrade.

I don't believe that is fully available for football.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
So we had at least $75mil available? But I keep seeing comments about us not having the money to fire CGC or hire a new staff? Even if we spent $15mil buying out Geoff and the rest of the staff, $60mil sure seems like it would be enough to provide a substantial upgrade.
Last year, a donor offered to pay the full buyout for CGC if he was fired immediately and the donor and other alumni were involved in hiring the next coach. TStan declined that offer.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Last year, a donor offered to pay the full buyout for CGC if he was fired immediately and the donor and other alumni were involved in hiring the next coach. TStan declined that offer.
I hate "X" and I will give you money to fire him, but I want to tell you who to hire next.... Good for ADTS to tell them no. He'll fire CGC if necessary and ADTS will hire the next coach, not some random rich guy.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
According to one reporter quoting an anonymous source. There were several other blogs and articles that referenced that one reporter's article. I never heard from anyone that I know had knowledge of the offer. (only an un-named source with "inside information") If that offer did happen, I don't know if it included enough money to hire a good coach to replace CGC, or if it was only an offer to pay the buyout and then leave the program starting from zero to find a new coach.

This post isn't meant to defend TStan for not taking such an offer. I get irked when a single anonymous statement gets turned into an absolute truth. Some fans absolutely believe that this happened, but there isn't any real evidence that it did.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No one is suggesting that he run the same offense, but he should've used at least some sort of run based offense rather than trying to pass the ball all of the time with QBs who couldn't pass the ball effectively. And four - five years at around $3+ million per year should be fine in taking care of his family I would think. ;)
We did. We ran 63% of the time in 2019. 73% of the time in 2020. 68% in 2021.
We just weren’t good at it.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
According to one reporter quoting an anonymous source. There were several other blogs and articles that referenced that one reporter's article. I never heard from anyone that I know had knowledge of the offer. (only an un-named source with "inside information") If that offer did happen, I don't know if it included enough money to hire a good coach to replace CGC, or if it was only an offer to pay the buyout and then leave the program starting from zero to find a new coach.

This post isn't meant to defend TStan for not taking such an offer. I get irked when a single anonymous statement gets turned into an absolute truth. Some fans absolutely believe that this happened, but there isn't any real evidence that it did.

It did happen. The offer was made on behalf of 3 alumni. Its unclear if TStan declined because he didn’t like the condition or if he believes in CGC or if he just didn’t like to be pressured. The alumni were super pissed off and that’s why they leaked the story.

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
I hate "X" and I will give you money to fire him, but I want to tell you who to hire next.... Good for ADTS to tell them no. He'll fire CGC if necessary and ADTS will hire the next coach, not some random rich guy.
That’s probably the issue. If he gave up control of hiring then a bad hire was made, we could end up with a Brian Gregory situation that kills the program. Especially with conference realignment that could permanently kill the program (ACC implodes then we get regulated to the American Conference).

People give CGC crap and I have no reason to believe this will be a better season, but I also doubt there’s a great option behind him. Firing him and making a bad hire is too risky.

JacketFan137

Banned
Certainly true, but we also chucked it down the field a ton as well without a passing QB.
in justin thomas final season we ran 73% of the time. i think paul johnson in a world with a good qb (i think the next two years would end up being some of the lowest level of qb play we saw under paul) would love to be around there. anymore and you’re probably not playing to your strengths and any less and you’re far too unbalanced.

JacketFan137

Banned
It did happen. The offer was made on behalf of 3 alumni. Its unclear if TStan declined because he didn’t like the condition or if he believes in CGC or if he just didn’t like to be pressured. The alumni were super pissed off and that’s why they leaked the story.
if tstan held his ground good for him. boosters money is important and i’m glad they help but they do not need to be the ones hiring our next coach. i would rather leave that up to people that actually have experience hiring and firing. i don’t think we need to let boosters run the world like some other schools

slugboy

Staff member
I think we’re pretty sure that there was enough money to cut Collins loose. There’s doubt about whether there was enough money left over afterward to hire someone better.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think we’re pretty sure that there was enough money to cut Collins loose. There’s doubt about whether there was enough money left over afterward to hire someone better.
Does TStans fundraising ability only apply to new buildings?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We did. We ran 63% of the time in 2019. 73% of the time in 2020. 68% in 2021.
We just weren’t good at it.
Not sure where you got these numbers. Here's the actuals:

2021: 443 runs, 785 plays- 56% without sacks 410 runs- 52%
2020: 408 runs, 691 plays: 59% without sacks 385 runs- 56%
2019: 447 runs, 716 plays: 62% without sacks 419 runs- 58%

gtphd

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think it’s about money. We’re not a great destination these days.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
OK, so what is your statement based on? I have seen exactly one article that stated this based on an anonymous source. I then saw articles and blog posts that referenced that article. Then I saw blog posts and forum posts that stated it was entirely accurate, but with no attribution other than that everyone knows it to be true.

Do you actually know it happened because you were in the room, or you spoke directly to TStan or one of the 3 you mention? No disrespect to you, but if not I do not trust you as a source. I observed this rumour spread from that one article with a vague comment from an anonymous source to several articles to an accepted "fact". I can't say that it isn't true, but I doubt it. I doubt it because if it were true, then probably more reporters would have found sources to confirm it. I don't remember any other reporter confirming this. They only referenced that first article.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Most of the high level donors have ZERO interest in speaking to the media. They most definitely will not speak to the media to criticize GT or our administration.

Any donor that does speak to media and is willing to put their name out their is doing so with ulterior motives and they're stroking their own egos. If anyone believes TStan is in trouble because a quote from one or two donors TRYING to tie CGC's fate to TStan is looking for ammo to support their own views on this situation. TStan's standing will not be affected by how CGC does this season. Bookmark this and get back to me at the end of the season...because, unfortunately, I don't see CGC at GT beyond this season. TStan will be here, and he will get to make the hire for the next football coach. TStan doesn't answer to a few disgruntled donors...he answers GT administration and the wallets of the majority of the high level donors. From what I know, his standing with that side of this issue is extremely safe.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not sure where you got these numbers. Here's the actuals:

2021: 443 runs, 785 plays- 56% without sacks 410 runs- 52%
2020: 408 runs, 691 plays: 59% without sacks 385 runs- 56%
2019: 447 runs, 716 plays: 62% without sacks 419 runs- 58%

I added pass attempts and run attempts. That excludes plays like punts, FG kicks, etc which were obviously not designed to be run/pass. Stats sourced from ESPN. All QB attempts pls all RB attemts. Run attempts/total attempts
pdd I did it on an iPad while sitting in a meeting, so I might have missed on one, but I doubt on all three.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
This has been mentioned on some other threads. Also, I read an article on another site that basically took it for granted that CGC and TStan are likely gone after this year.

Unless I misunderstand, the hire/fire decision of an AD is up to the university Institute president. Personally, my impression was that Stansbury was in good standing with the administration. My read on the priorities of 'the hill' when it comes to Tech athletics is basically: don't embarrass the Institute with scandals, graduate your athletes, and be financially responsible. As far as I can tell, Stansbury has done a decent job on all those fronts. Better than his recent predecessors. I don't have the impression that football wins and losses is a firing consideration for Tech's AD, as it would be at UGA, Bama, and the like. Actually, I'm not aware of Tech ever firing an AD.

I'm not arguing whether he should or shouldn't be fired. Just wondering if anyone has a different impression of the situation or a real reason to think he might be fired?
You have completely overlooked one of our bright spots: the robotics team.

With proper coaching, recruiting and funding (of course), I think we can be a perennial favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.