Stansbury Seat Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, every comment that doesn't drool over Collins is seen as negative.

I'm saying he didn't have much of anything left of his career when he was at UF. He inherted a great situation and profited from it handsomely. A couple more years and he'd have been run off. UF fans of mine laughed at me for GT taking Collins. They were still reeling from 2017 and the big games during his tenure. I didn't understand why until after year 1 as stats wise he looked decent at UF in 2015-2016. Year 3's defense rounded out the full picture for me. His teams did well against the bottom feeders but they got mauled by Tenn, Alabama, Arkasas, FSU, anyone with a good offensive team during those years. It pissed UF fans off royally. Collins wisely jumped off the UF sinking ship before his impact on the program was fully realized and bagged the top job at Temple when UCF had no interest & for good reason. Most coaches don't get multiple opportunities to coach units where the bench is packed every year with high quality recruits often. His peak of his professional career was and wil alwaysl be Temple, 15-9 as a HC at a 3rd tier school. Add that to the 9-25 at GT and you got 24-34, a 41% winning percentage. That's 5 wins a year and I think most on here would agree he'll eventually regress to the mean. Given ample time, he'll be a 5-7 GT coach unless the ACC teams continue to circle the drain and he doesn't circle with them. There's absolutely no reason to be anything less than 8-5 annually now at GT given the weakness of the ACC Coastal and the ACC in general. When he took over at Temple they had risen about as high as it could go & he demonstrated he could not match Rhule's level of performance. Collins had no game. Rhule left Temple & took Baylor from 1-11 to the Sugar Bowl in 3yrs, that's a great coach. Collins left Temple and GT tanked, massively. Same program, very different results.

I hope Collins works out, but until then we got what we got. I'm too old to have too many more extreme reaches as HCs & he either needs to have the light bulb come on rapidly or hit the road. I'm not sure he's found the switch but with this crop of coaches & the amount of talent on the sidelines if it doesn't happen this year the handwriting will be carved into the wall in very large letters. He's latched himself to Sims like Gailey latched himself to Reggie. He better hope Sims saves his career.

I'll be there damn near every game, maybe going to only miss 2 in person I think as I cannot deconflict UNC and annual Thanksgiving festivites prevents any trip to the cesspool. I'll be watching with my own eyes live to see what happens. As always I'll root for the guys to the end because regardless the coach I'm a GT fan first. I just hate it for the players their memories on The Flats their years, primarily their Junior and Senior years that have been tainted by Collins mismangement of the team. I just want them to win, having given all they give in time on & off the field. 9-25 is not the legacy any of them wanted to leave,
I think it's clear he was Geoffrey the Unready when he came here but given some good assistants, he might make a go of it yet.
And I think he might have learned a few things the hard way over the past three years. We'll see - this year.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I think it's clear he was Geoffrey the Unready when he came here but given some good assistants, he might make a go of it yet.
And I think he might have learned a few things the hard way over the past three years. We'll see - this year.
I'm praying this is the case. I hate to see our beloved Yellow Jackets in such a bad way. Weinke, Long, etc have to save us.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Thank god Nebraska has all that Big 10 money though!! It sure is helping them field a national powerhouse and yearly contender!!!

At the time everybody in the country thought the Frost hire was a good move, especially Nebraska fans I’m sure. Frost came in after an 0-8 year with 6-7, and then 13-0 “national champions.” Then gets hired at his alma mater that had struggled for years. It was a total slam dunk. Now it appears to actually be a dumpster fire. Just goes to show that hindsight is 20/20, and being an AD is hard.

Todd Stansbury is the best AD Georgia Tech has had in a looonngg time. Sure there might be a couple of people out there more capable, but they’re few and far in between, and attracting them to GT probably wouldn’t be easy. Collins hasn’t produced a good season, but if you can’t look back and see why and how his hide came to be then you are just putting blinders on. His whole tenure might be different if he just won that Citadel game. South Carolina threw a walk off touchdown pass to beat ECU last year, and everyone thinks Beamer has them going in the right direction. If they lose that game I’m sure everyone’s opinions are different. Same thing with last year’s NIU game on the season scale rather than his whole tenure. There have definitely been blown opportunities, but to act like the whole system and athletic department needs to be blown up because of it is asinine.

But, he did lose to The Citadel, he did lose to Temple, he did lose to Clemson by 70, lost to NIU, lost last two by 100-0. One or two of those, ok, fine, figuring it out. All of those are tough to look past. Hope Long can get the offense moving and anyone can get the D going.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I am giving him some credit for finally getting experienced ast coaches. Not sure he wasn't directed to get experience.

I am giving him full credit for keeping Thacker and committing to make the defense much better.

That's why we hired him.

Imo, he has till the bye week to save his job.

I hope that it's amazing.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am giving him some credit for finally getting experienced ast coaches. Not sure he wasn't directed to get experience.

I am giving him full credit for keeping Thacker and committing to make the defense much better.

That's why we hired him.

Imo, he has till the bye week to save his job.

I hope that it's amazing.
Meh. I think Geof is not a good fit. It happens. Ask Butch Jones.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I'm saying he didn't have much of anything left of his career when he was at UF. He inherted a great situation and profited from it handsomely. A couple more years and he'd have been run off. UF fans of mine laughed at me for GT taking Collins. They were still reeling from 2017 and the big games during his tenure. I didn't understand why until after year 1 as stats wise he looked decent at UF in 2015-2016.
Well your UF friends are either ill-informed, or are just just making up lies. Considering Geoff Collins was Temple’s head coach in 2017, seems like it’s the latter.

In 2015 Florida allowed the 11th fewest PPG in the country at 18.3, and were rated 15th in defensive efficiency. On the offensive side they only scored 23.2 PPG, (good for 100th in the country) and were rated 72nd in offensive efficiency.

In 2016 Florida allowed the 6th fewest PPG at 16.8, and were rated 8th in defensive efficiency. Offensively they scored 23.7 (107th in the country) and were 87th in offensive efficiency.

Collins had success everywhere he has ever gone as a defensive coach. To act like his career was going nowhere is a joke. On paper he should’ve been the perfect hire. Unless a 3O coach was brought in our offense was going to be abysmal in 2019 no matter what. So we should have a strong defense to counter it. It hasn’t worked out well, and I’m willing to be a large reason why is because the resources simply haven’t been there until this year. Which is unfortunate because on paper last year actually had a decent amount of talent on that side of the ball. I’m expecting a pretty big turnaround on the defensive side of the ball, simply because of the new investment in the program.

Also for the record for those who want to attribute Florida’s defensive success solely to Mullen, in 2017 the year after CGC left Florida was rated 84th in DFEI

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Du
Well your UF friends are either ill-informed, or are just just making up lies. Considering Geoff Collins was Temple’s head coach in 2017, seems like it’s the latter.

In 2015 Florida allowed the 11th fewest PPG in the country at 18.3, and were rated 15th in defensive efficiency. On the offensive side they only scored 23.2 PPG, (good for 100th in the country) and were rated 72nd in offensive efficiency.

In 2016 Florida allowed the 6th fewest PPG at 16.8, and were rated 8th in defensive efficiency. Offensively they scored 23.7 (107th in the country) and were 87th in offensive efficiency.

Collins had success everywhere he has ever gone as a defensive coach. To act like his career was going nowhere is a joke. On paper he should’ve been the perfect hire. Unless a 3O coach was brought in our offense was going to be abysmal in 2019 no matter what. So we should have a strong defense to counter it. It hasn’t worked out well, and I’m willing to be a large reason why is because the resources simply haven’t been there until this year. Which is unfortunate because on paper last year actually had a decent amount of talent on that side of the ball. I’m expecting a pretty big turnaround on the defensive side of the ball, simply because of the new investment in the program.
Daughter is a Student Athlete at UF. She’s asked about CGC and the consistent response she’s gotten she asked is “who?”

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Why are we so sure that there would be more money there in an elite league for them? If i want to watch pros i’ll turn on the Falcons you know? On CFB Saturdays i sure as hell am not contributing to them in anyway whatsoever, and I bet a lot of cfb fans feel the same whose teams aren’t in that fb factory club.

Collins had success everywhere he has ever gone as a defensive coach. To act like his career was going nowhere is a joke.
I agree, on paper, Geoff seemed legit. But we don't make decisions on paper. He has a record now.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I agree, on paper, Geoff seemed legit. But we don't make decisions on paper. He has a record now.
You actually do make decisions on paper. That’s the only way to make a decision. You judge decisions based on results. Turns out his results haven’t been good. Doesn’t mean at the time it was a bad hire. It hasn’t worked out, but he’s got 12 more games to figure it out.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You actually do make decisions on paper. That’s the only way to make a decision. You judge decisions based on results. Turns out his results haven’t been good. Doesn’t mean at the time it was a bad hire. It hasn’t worked out, but he’s got 12 more games to figure it out.
Sounds like you didn't attend the same Georgia Tech I did.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like you didn't attend the same Georgia Tech I did

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Meh. I think Geof is not a good fit. It happens. Ask Butch Jones.
Some body needs to be a near genius in scheme. The head coach can be him or he has to find him.

Son knew Josh Houepell ( sic) while at ou and he says JH can see all of the field.

I am wondering if cgc was just riding on the bus?

If Thack and he amaze , then we will know.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Yep, that's it. They're huge diehard UF fans, but they know nothing about UF football. For 5 years this guy's been a complete dud, but we know better. He's the next coming of Bobby Dodd, we just can't see it. The ridicule being heaped upon us like the ND game, the gameday potshots we're getting & the historic beatdowns we're sustaining are all just masking the insane jealousy everyone has over us making the HC steal of a lifetime.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Contracts in college football make no sense to me. I would have offered him a 5 year contract with automatic renewals to years 6 and 7 based on reasonable performance metrics, like 6 wins year 4. So all he’d have to do to get his 7 years is to not totally suck, but it would be a more balanced deal in terms of risk. He was unproven as a P5 HC and GT decided to assume all the risk with a 7 year contract. Guess I could never have been an AD, good thing I just ran a tech company. Still hoping it works out, but we’re almost getting known for stuff like this (Hewitt).
Still hopeful it can work out though.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I mean people In the UFAA.
The only defense of him is everybody just doesn't like him & there's no real reason behind it. The fact of the matter is there's absolutely nothing to like up to this point. We can only hope this is not going to be another completely miserable year.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The only defense of him is everybody just doesn't like him & there's no real reason behind it. The fact of the matter is there's absolutely nothing to like up to this point. We can only hope this is not going to be another completely miserable year.
Some have called him a great defensive mind.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yep, that's it. They're huge diehard UF fans, but they know nothing about UF football. For 5 years this guy's been a complete dud, but we know better. He's the next coming of Bobby Dodd, we just can't see it. The ridicule being heaped upon us like the ND game, the gameday potshots we're getting & the historic beatdowns we're sustaining are all just masking the insane jealousy everyone has over us making the HC steal of a lifetime.
Hey man. Looks like you missed a lot of my comment you responded to. Here it is again if you didn’t see it:

Sooooooo, like I said. Your UF fans are either ill-informed, ignorant and bitter, or just straight up lying to you. GCGs defenses at Florida were just as good as their 2008 National Championship year. It was their offense failing them, not their defense. The numbers are there to prove it.

Oh, and here’s one more tidbit I think you may have missed:
Also for the record for those who want to attribute Florida’s defensive success solely to Mullen, in 2017 the year after CGC left Florida was rated 84th in DFEI

Status
Not open for further replies.