Stansbury Seat Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I got an idea. Let's list Geoff's top accomplishments. Give us the data on Top 10 wins, increased attendance, recruiting, offensive, defense or special teams production, anything? Surely he's got a lot to be proud of during his first 3 years at GT. He's clearly made an impact here. it should be a pretty easy exercise.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I got an idea. Let's list Geoff's top accomplishments. Give us the data on Top 10 wins, increased attendance, recruiting, offensive, defense or special teams production, anything? Surely he's got a lot to be proud of during his first 3 years at GT. He's clearly made an impact here. it should be a pretty easy exercise.

I got nothing

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

The GTAA measures for "competitive excellence" include the following:

• NCAA Postseason Appearances and wins.
• NACDA College Directors’ Cup Standings.
• ACC Standings.
• Team/Individual Records and Statistics.
• Student-athlete: academic performance, roster retention, scholarship & non-scholarship admittance, and demographics.
• Tracking Annual Fund/Development Goals for Athletic Scholarships.
• Track and compare staffing by team towards peers.
• Track professional athletes and international competitions.

My guess is most, if not all, of these measures are red.

When I was in business, any type of major restructuring (like we saw with Geoff & Coaching Staff at the end of the last season) was often seen as a lack of management control. In other words, TStan.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

• ACC Standings.
• Student-athlete: academic performance, roster retention, scholarship & non-scholarship admittance, and demographics.

When I was in business, any type of major restructuring (like we saw with Geoff & Coaching Staff at the end of the last season) was often seen as a lack of management control. In other words, TStan.
This memo would be just as valid 15 years ago, 10 years ago, and 5 years ago.

And the results are the same.

When you are bottom in athletic revenue, it is what it is.

I am hoping tstan jerked a knot in cgc s tail and fixed the coaching goof up.

We need a change at the very top to get a positive change at the bottom.

slugboy

Staff member

• ACC Standings.

Regarding your last comment—which would have looked better for Stansbury, restructuring the staff a year earlier, or not at all?

In business, unless Collins was the owner’s son, he probably gets moved to another non-supervisory position after year two if he’s a departmental lead. P5 head coaching contracts don’t support that kind of action (even shorter P5 contracts). For example, I think Auburn is quick to fire (IMHO), but Harsin is still there even though strategically people think that he’s the wrong kind of coach for the current times. If that’s the case, and you’re able to change course, you change course immediately. One similarity is in CEO roles, where it can take years to fire a bad CEO, and they usually leave with a big payday. Locally, you can look at Bob Nardelli at Home Depot—he was a disaster almost immediately, ran the company badly for 6 years, and got a $210 million severance package in 2007. Subordinates can get fired or moved much more easily. People with a “big boss” contract don’t get fired or moved easily at all.

I think Head Coaches are like CEOs where there are more bad hires than anyone wants to admit, and they’re really hard to get rid of or fix.

Regarding the restructuring, Choice “moved up”, and that’s something that you have to be used to in a good organization. Coleman moved laterally (it seems to me). Four coaches (if I have my count right) were pushed out—and arguably someone watching most practices and seeing coaching interactions should have acted sooner on that.

As for the dashboard, the two “big” sports had bad seasons. We only have 17 teams eligible for scoring on the Director’s Cup, and 14 made post-season. https://ramblinwreck.com/tech-nets-third-straight-top-70-directors-cup-finish/. Unfortunately, expectations are weighted towards football first and men’s basketball second, so last year was a really sad year. The dashboard probably has lots of green, but it’s clear that the lynchpin sport is glowing bright red.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Regarding your last comment—which would have looked better for Stansbury, restructuring the staff a year earlier, or not at all?

In business, unless Collins was the owner’s son, he probably gets moved to another non-supervisory position after year two if he’s a departmental lead. P5 head coaching contracts don’t support that kind of action (even shorter P5 contracts). For example, I think Auburn is quick to fire (IMHO), but Harsin is still there even though strategically people think that he’s the wrong kind of coach for the current times. If that’s the case, and you’re able to change course, you change course immediately. One similarity is in CEO roles, where it can take years to fire a bad CEO, and they usually leave with a big payday. Locally, you can look at Bob Nardelli at Home Depot—he was a disaster almost immediately, ran the company badly for 6 years, and got a $210 million severance package in 2007. Subordinates can get fired or moved much more easily. People with a “big boss” contract don’t get fired or moved easily at all.

I think Head Coaches are like CEOs where there are more bad hires than anyone wants to admit, and they’re really hard to get rid of or fix.

Regarding the restructuring, Choice “moved up”, and that’s something that you have to be used to in a good organization. Coleman moved laterally (it seems to me). Four coaches (if I have my count right) were pushed out—and arguably someone watching most practices and seeing coaching interactions should have acted sooner on that.

As for the dashboard, the two “big” sports had bad seasons. We only have 17 teams eligible for scoring on the Director’s Cup, and 14 made post-season. https://ramblinwreck.com/tech-nets-third-straight-top-70-directors-cup-finish/. Unfortunately, expectations are weighted towards football first and men’s basketball second, so last year was a really sad year. The dashboard probably has lots of green, but it’s clear that the lynchpin sport is glowing bright red.
Auburn is all in w a new prez.
He will hire his AD and THEY will hire the coach

Previous prez told ad to cut spending. AD did - example cut tutors.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The "Minister of Mayhem":

Hope we see some of that mayhem this season.

We've seen the mayhem each of the last three seasons. But on ourselves and self inflicted with little discipline.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IF the guy did that, he is an idiot and not very business savvy at all. At Tech, the president can be indifferent to athletics (as most of our have been) and still keep his job. At the large public state schools, esp. in the South, the athletics department IS essentially the brand. If I am running one of these types of schools, supporting the AA with resources and management attention plus finding the right AD would be high on my list of things to do. If this is running well it frees you up to work on more important stuff.

JacketFan137

Banned
i think if you keep trolling and baiting it might give the program the “juice” it needs to turn things around

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Auburn is all in w a new prez.
He will hire his AD and THEY will hire the coach

Hard to say. AD Greene was never really in charge of athletics. It was a foregone conclusion that he would not be renewed as AD.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

To specifically answer your question, it is a very, very bad look to let your number one revenue generator self-destruct for 3 years while you get your house in order. I know of no business that would allow that. He should have been involved much, much earlier and taken decisive action to keep things from getting worse.

As it is, I think TStan will be remembered about as well as Doug Weaver, the AD who let the program whither away the last time before Homer Rice was hired.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We've seen the mayhem each of the last three seasons. But on ourselves and self inflicted with little discipline.
We got the mayhem. Now all we need is to shift it from our backfield to their backfield. Hopefully these two are in top form:

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
The "Minister of Mayhem":

Hope we see some of that mayhem this season.
Oh, but we've seen plenty of "mayhem" from the current coach the past three years.

The problem is all the mayhem he wrought has been on his sideline - the complete disarray among coaches and players, not knowing how many players were on the field, not getting play calls in on time, wasting timeouts only to have delay of game penalties coming out of timeouts. Not to mention when he caved to crowd pressure when he pulled the FG team off the field in response to the home fans booing his decision to not go for a fourth and short inside the red zone. And of course all the silly clown show antics on the sideline with his money down garbage and embarrassing juice crew dancing around like idiots while their team was getting their arses handed to them on the scoreboard.

If you're winning you can get away with the fool antics, but he made himself into an internet meme when NBC trolled him on their nationwide broadcast while he was busy putting his finishing touches on his 100-0 finish to complete last season.

This image NBC broadcast to the world will be his "legacy" at Tech:

10738111.png

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hard to say. AD Greene was never really in charge of athletics. It was a foregone conclusion that he would not be renewed as AD.
Apparently the old prez spent lavishly on admin offices and then sent out a budget tighting memo.

V - works at Auburn so he may know inside scope.

KNIGHTS $ DATABASE COLLEGE $

DONOR PLUS TICKET SALES (MILLIONS)

2005, 10,15,20

AUBURN
50, 67, 78, 70
Ga Tech
22, 32, 21, 22
20 years @ delta auburn minus gt = 40 million per year = .8 billion.

Wonder why they have nice things?
(Morris Joseph Memphis DE transfer to gt but flipped to Auburn.)

NEW AD and Coach suck -
Auburn pays guarantee and then pays big for new staff.

GT - ....

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oh, but we've seen plenty of "mayhem" from the current coach the past three years.

The problem is all the mayhem he wrought has been on his sideline - the complete disarray, not knowing how many players were on the field, not getting plays in on time, wasting timeouts only to have delay of game penalties coming out of timeouts. Not to mention when he caved to crowd pressure when he pulled the FG team off the field in response to the home fans booing his decision to not go for a fourth and short inside the red zone, and of course all the silly clown show antics on the sideline with his money down garbage and embarrassing juice crew dancing around like idiots while their team was getting their arses handed to them on the scoreboard. If you're winning you can get away with the fool antics, but he has made himself into an internet meme when NBC trolled him on their nationwide broadcast while he was busy putting his finishing touches to his 100-0 finish to last season.

The image NBC broadcast to the world will be his "legacy" at Tech:

View attachment 12914
That was last years' mayhem. And the year before that, and the year before that. Hopefully he's ditched the cornball sideshow act for real coaching. Maybe this year the mayhem will be on the other side of the ball. It's always baffled me how a coach with a solid record as DC could allow his current DC to mismanage the talent on that side of the ball so badly.

The way I look at it, the more he's involved in the defense, the better chance we'll have to go a-bowling this year. His prior record on defense surely has to be more than just pure, dumb luck. Doesn't it?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
That was last years' mayhem. And the year before that, and the year before that. Hopefully he's ditched the cornball sideshow act for real coaching. Maybe this year the mayhem will be on the other side of the ball. It's always baffled me how a coach with a solid record as DC could allow his current DC to mismanage the talent on that side of the ball so badly.

The way I look at it, the more he's involved in the defense, the better chance we'll have to go a-bowling this year. His prior record on defense surely has to be more than just pure, dumb luck. Doesn't it?
The biggest disappointment to me has been the defense performance. It was Collins strength and experience. We can all debate the transition on offense from 3O (and we have) but that was always going to require time. The defense should have never gotten the results from the last 3 years (and particularly last year). Part of it certainly was the attempt to play high paced offense but that doesn't by itself explain the drop off. The only hope I really have is Long can improve the offense with minimal interference from Collins and Collins is very hands on in terms of the defense and has them playing at a much higher level.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The biggest disappointment to me has been the defense performance. It was Collins strength and experience. We can all debate the transition on offense from 3O (and we have) but that was always going to require time. The defense should have never gotten the results from the last 3 years (and particularly last year). Part of it certainly was the attempt to play high paced offense but that doesn't by itself explain the drop off. The only hope I really have is Long can improve the offense with minimal interference from Collins and Collins is very hands on in terms of the defense and has them playing at a much higher level.

The second biggest disappointment to me is special teams. Having to drive inside the 15 to kick a FG.

Football Outsiders had us 105th (of 130) in punting and 101st in FGs. And those *should* be better this year. But otherwise, we weren't as bad as I remembered looking at the stats. Very respectable on Kickoff returns, Kickoff Efficiency, Punt Return Efficiency. For 2021:

1661718309335.png

1661718359779.png

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Well his offense didn't help much with so many 3 and outs and we couldn't return the favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.