Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
So what's the likelihood that Todd is out ? Crazy to think that Collins could have ended Todd's career at tech.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sounds like it's time for us to use Grigua's Prayer:

Oh, Lord, our situation is dire. Please come and help us, but don't send your Son; this is not a time for children.

Here's another version. I hadn't heard this one so thank you!!

"God, help us! You come yourself. Don’t send Jesus. This is no place for children.

— Anonymous Allied Mess Sargeant, Anzio, WWII
"

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Neither is a good look.
Some employees are so destructive to your work culture you just want them gone before they can say or do anything else to plant discord and discontent. Not accusing CGC of that, just saying a don’t speak to anyone rule on your way out is not uncommon.

Personally, I want an adult in the room who can speak to players without blame placing and without spin. These things happen; time to move on.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I hope not. From the outside looking in, it's a concerning pattern lately.
It's the same pattern it's always been. TStan was well aware of the need to raise money but opted to go after the mega-donor crowd ... smaller and easier to manage. While I agree with that from a purely 80/20 point of view, Tech needs a massive waive of organized fund-raising. Whether it's IPTAY, car washes, etc ... Tech needs to raise money consistently and has never really had much infrastructure to do it. Or the desire.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
No one knows but I would venture to guess that the damage done to the football program will take his successors five years or more to fix. This has a Tennessee/Nebraska lost decade feel to it. That said, a really great hire with sharp assistants might be able to mitigate the damage and the time frame pretty substantially but those people will not want to come and fix this mess. IIWII
IDK, how hard will it really be to teach kids not to jump early on offense in the red zone or to find a kicker? How hard to scrap the Punt team scheme and start over with the same guys? How hard to find a coach that has competent clock management skills and knows to use the last 30 seconds of the first half to get into field goal range rather than let time run out?

Fixing the above likely won't get us to 6 wins but it is a great start to get us to 4 or 5. So meanwhile fix that and then work on the other issues like strength and blocking. Would only take a few years I think. Didn't take O'Leary very long, and I have to say that as dismal as the ACC is lately, maybe not even THAT long.

Last edited:

kalld12

Banned
I feel horrible for saying this, but I have absolutely zero sympathy for Geoff Collins, and I hope he sees no benefit from the generational wealth we have gifted him with absolutely zero return.
LOL stop lying, if you felt bad you wouldn't have posted this.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's the same pattern it's always been. TStan was well aware of the need to raise money but opted to go after the mega-donor crowd ... smaller and easier to manage. While I agree with that from a purely 80/20 point of view, Tech needs a massive waive of organized fund-raising. Whether it's IPTAY, car washes, etc ... Tech needs to raise money consistently and has never really had much infrastructure to do it. Or the desire.
Yep. I think there is a strong independent streak in Tech fans that makes it hard to get everyone on the rah-rah wagon at the same time but it’s high time to try.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I really doubt he would leave without addressing the players. I remember that CPJ addressed his team before leaving.
We shouldn't make rumors about this stuff, and hopefully the players found out about all of this not through social media

slugboy

Staff member
I was feeling sarcastic and was going to say "if we can't score more than 10 points, we should get Iowa's DC so that we can win 10-7". (yeah, I guess I just did say that).

However, here are some non-factories with top 30 FEI defense ratings:
2. Oklahoma State (well, ok, they're a factory)
8. Cincinnati (ok, a factory for G5)
9. Baylor
12. NC State
14. San Diego State
16. Kansas State (ok, not an academic powerhouse)
18. Pittsburgh
21. Utah (ok, a Pac12 kinda factory-lite)
22. Iowa State
23. Boise State
25. Washington State
26. Purdue
27. Houston (I think of them as an OFFENSIVE school ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
29. Arizona State
30. Illinois

You'd think one of those schools has a DC or defensive assistant that would make sense.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
So what's the likelihood that Todd is out ? Crazy to think that Collins could have ended Todd's career at tech.

Very high. He bought a ticket on the Titanic with the Collins pick, 7 year contract and buyout terms and then bought a return ticket to England an hour after it hit the iceberg with the “I’ve got my man” statement. Tough to survive that judgement in your biggest sport.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's a bit like looking for white smoke from the chimney atop the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican to sort out Tech politics.

If the GTAA had maintained its regular meeting date of Oct 13, I would say ... Todd's staying. Business as usual.

But the fact they ADVANCED it by two weeks suggests an emergency. And it's the BoT that hires and fires and the AD.

Personally, I think it's a bad sign for Todd. He had to be aware that other AD's and/or HC's were being approached. I think the big question is ... do they create a role for him or just cut him loose?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I just find hard to feel sorry for someone making 3.3 million a year to win 3 games out of 12.

I don't feel sorry for the professional...in fact I'm pretty P-O'd about it. But I do have some sympathy for the human, who honestly wanted what is best for Tech and his players.

I don't see those two things are in conflict. Separating how we feel about a person from how we feel about their performance is an important part of being a leader in my opinion. I've fired a good friend for poor performance, but it didn't change the way I felt about him as a person.

The players...at least some of them...seemed to really value CGC. I'm not going to second-guess their opinion of him as a person and let his performance cause me to celebrate his misery.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
One thing that's starting to concern me: Is GT starting to have a mega donor meddling problem? See Auburn.

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: This is the problem with $200 million dollars debt and the fact that 14% of our revenue generated goes to paying down that debt. Since we require major donor intervention to hire/fire coaches it gives them outsized say into the direction of the program.

1664195022505.png

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Yep. I think there is a strong independent streak in Tech fans that makes it hard to get everyone on the rah-rah wagon at the same time but it’s high time to try.
Four easy steps to getting me to give more:

Step 1: Communicate to me more often and more effectively to get me more engaged.
Step 2: Win
Step 3: Don't pester me with phone calls, but make it super easy to give more.
Step 4: GoTo Step 2

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: This is the problem with $200 million dollars debt and the fact that 14% of our revenue generated goes to paying down that debt. Since we require major donor intervention to hire/fire coaches it gives them outsized say into the direction of the program.

View attachment 13167

I think it would be good for the new AD to focus on this and try to raise funds to reduce that debt. It is only going to hold us down in the future as those payments increase.