Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
This just in. Stansbury fired.
Well he was on track to shut down his second football program. Nice enough guy but never seemed to be a good fit at Tech even though an alum. Fired or relieved of his duties? Could move to a staff job reporting to the President or Alumni association. His biggest mistake was his statement that Collins was his man. He may have continued to argue to give him more time. Should have said he would evaluate the performance of the HC and make a decision at the appropriate time. Seven year contract was a big mistake.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
That's exactly what's happening right now.

Perhaps. I'm sure he felt like Collins is who the donors would back. But, after Year 3, it was pretty clear it wasn't working. Not sure the donors are the ones who made his say "I've got my man." If so, I'm completely wrong. But, he's the one who tied himself to Collins showing improvement, of which there has been limited to none this year. Throw in the contract (length, buyout, etc.) and I think Stansbury made his own bed. Unfortunate, but I would not have said "I've got my man" when the fan base is ready to move on after 100-0. Just a poor statement given the situation at the time.

I hope he can transition to a role with Cabrera or the Alumni Association in a fundraising role. Hate to see anyone fired, particularly a Tech guy, but this was going to happen after this hire and the double down.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Perhaps. I'm sure he felt like Collins is who the donors would back. But, after Year 3, it was pretty clear it wasn't working. Not sure the donors are the ones who made his say "I've got my man." If so, I'm completely wrong. But, he's the one who tied himself to Collins showing improvement, of which there has been limited to none this year. Throw in the contract (length, buyout, etc.) and I think Stansbury made his own bed. Unfortunate, but I would not have said "I've got my man" when the fan base is ready to move on after 100-0. Just a poor statement given the situation at the time.

I hope he can transition to a role with Cabrera or the Alumni Association in a fundraising role. Hate to see anyone fired, particularly a Tech guy, but this was going to happen after this hire and the double down.

No. The donors pushed heavily for Whiz, then failing that, they landed on Collins. The donors had an outsized say in this process in order to make sure their money wasn't funding more option football.

If TStan deserves to be fired, it's not for hiring CGC or the 7 year contract, but rather for not standing up to the donors in the beginning.

Not that he had much choice, as we are beholden to their money.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Sometimes, you totally agree with the strategy, but the guy in charge is the wrong guy. TStan should have said, "I believe the path we have laid out is the correct path, but Geoff will have to show that he can deliver. If he can, we have our guy. If he can't, we will have to re-evaluate if he is the best man to lead the team."

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes, you totally agree with the strategy, but the guy in charge is the wrong guy. TStan should have said, "I believe the path we have laid out is the correct path, but Geoff will have to show that he can deliver. If he can, we have our guy. If he can't, we will have to re-evaluate if he is the best man to lead the team."
Yeah I feel like TStan doubling down was a bonehead move. I like TStan but he should’ve expected to take heat for saying stuff like that.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
No. The donors pushed heavily for Whiz, then failing that, they landed on Collins. The donors had an outsized say in this process in order to make sure their money wasn't funding more option football.

If TStan deserves to be fired, it's not for hiring CGC or the 7 year contract, but rather for not standing up to the donors in the beginning.

The wild thing to me is imagine thinking a dude who hasn't recruited a player in 25+ years would be a solid choice.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Agree with your last statement. He was likely damned if he did it and damned if he didn't. But when you throw in the contract length and poor buyout and then the double down, he didn't close the deal as well as he should have. Again, unfortunate, but when a large larger percentage of your fan base is unhappy with your hire, the terms around it and the double down, it puts him in a bad spot.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Good reason to get out of the Tech Guy mentality and just find the best guy for the job.
Tennessee went down that path in 2007 after firing Fulmer. They then went through Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, Pruitt and now Josh. The overwhelming feeling now is to have strong UT connections to maintain stability.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Still no mention of Collins or TStans firings on ramblinwreck.com. They might announce both at the same time, gonna be very interesting.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Still no mention of Collins or TStans firings on ramblinwreck.com. They might announce both at the same time, gonna be very interesting.
I fired an executive at 7am once. It took five hours to write the press release and get legal to approve it.

My understanding is that they are addressing CGC's exit package. So it isn't as simple as "You're fired."

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee went down that path in 2007 after firing Fulmer. They then went through Kiffin, Dooley, Jones, Pruitt and now Josh. The overwhelming feeling now is to have strong UT connections to maintain stability.

Ok, but who is the great football coach out there with Tech ties? O'Brien? Godsey? Tashard?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I feel like TStan doubling down was a bonehead move. I like TStan but he should’ve expected to take heat for saying stuff like that.
Maybe he just wasn't that politically astute and was brutally honest to a fault. Handwriting was on the wall after 100-0 last year. He should have been planning on how to get out of this situation with as little damage as possible. Must be going down with the ship if rumors are correct.