Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Graham Neff is who you dream for to be the next AD. He’s everything tech could dream and ask for. For the people asking about the money side and debt: as the assistant AD while at Clemson, Graham’s job was the money budget for athletics, handling expansion projects and construction. He did everything you could have asked for when it comes to money and logistics of a program. Clemson fans love him. He’s very passionate about college athletics, absolutely loves Georgia tech and all of their sports. Great young up and coming mind in the sports world. Only 39 years old.
Sounds like the guy you definitely call first then. If he loves college sports and this is his dream job to call his own and if he has fire to turn this the football program around and keep all sports at high levels then he can etch his name in GT annauls forever... it maybe tempting

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
nah. we've sucked bad before. have all the resources you need to be successful. just need the right leader and you'll be good. and maybe with no divisions, you won't have to play Clemson every season in the future.
Umm...

Attachments

• image_handler.jpeg
    image_handler.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 131

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
And this surprises you how? He was a cringeworthy hire based on no criteria anyone could discern, even those who want Johnson out in the worst way, and achieved it; did truly stupid things on the sideline -- while there was a game going on --blamed it all on Paul Johnson since he had the temerity to recruit option type players, and must be howling where ever he is in Arizona, and proceeded to alienate almost every ACC head ball coach with this boasting and yowling about "culture". trying to steal a Dabo Swinney process but having no idea what it meant.

I fear the AD and he wannabe coach have wrecked Georgia Tech football for good. We need now to look at dropping down in classification to get a foothold. We certainly bring nothing to the ACC.

Good grief

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
The first call will be made to Graham Neff regarding the AD position. He’s the current AD at clemson. Very good and highly thought of AD in the college world. The pitch will include things about coming home and running his own show. Neff doesn’t run the show at Clemson, Dabo does. Graham just has the AD title but Dabo runs everything.

I had no idea DRad went down to Miami. I'd probably do the same too... you're talking in the middle of nowehere-ville vs the beach in your back yard.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The first call will be made to Graham Neff regarding the AD position. He’s the current AD at clemson. Very good and highly thought of AD in the college world. The pitch will include things about coming home and running his own show. Neff doesn’t run the show at Clemson, Dabo does. Graham just has the AD title but Dabo runs everything.
Does this mean ADTS is for sure out? Thought was still to be determined.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We better get someone that KNOWS Head FB coaching talent when he sees it, knows how to negotiate for CFB HC jobs for the best deal for GT. Lets not forget it's where most all the money comes from.
I have no idea if Brent Key can do the job or not, but I sort of like him having 8 games for several reasons. We can see what he can do with limited material, gives us time to sort out a lot of things and maybe talk to some coaching prospects, see where we are etc.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Graham Neff is who you dream for to be the next AD. He’s everything tech could dream and ask for. For the people asking about the money side and debt: as the assistant AD while at Clemson, Graham’s job was the money budget for athletics, handling expansion projects and construction. He did everything you could have asked for when it comes to money and logistics of a program. Clemson fans love him. He’s very passionate about college athletics, absolutely loves Georgia tech and all of their sports. Great young up and coming mind in the sports world. Only 39 years old.
Of course, GT was Collins dream job as well. So hopefully more skill than that. I know football and men's basketball are both problems and obviously the main revenue producers. But most of the other programs are in reasonable shape. So from my way of thinking, your priorities are a new football coach, raise revenue (reduce debt) and potentially then address men's basketball (if needed) once football is stable. Baseball has a very strong assistant when Danny Hall decides to step down. In terms of the other sports, I don't know the coaches, age and recruiting skills to know if they are long term solutions. But certainly most of the other programs are doing well. But success or failure is returning football to at least respectability and significantly improving the balance sheet. One last thing is to be a much better communicator. That becomes crucial in keeping peace with the fan base and improving donations.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
We want to play Clemson every year.
Well we at least play them the next 4 years. We have them as one of our three permanent opponents (along with Wake Forest and Louisville). Beyond that, who knows? The big question for the future beyond that is if any ACC teams move to other conferences (obviously would require finding a way to break GOR or be willing to forego a lot of revenue).

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Graham Neff will receive a call, who knows how serious his interest is but tech does have some points they can sell to him about coming to tech and leaving Clemson. I doubt he leaves Clemson due to having a safe job there but you never know with the guy being a tech lifer.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The worst hill to die on. That probably soured boosters as much as anything.

I was told from a fairly reliable source within the GTAA that keeping Thacker was a financial decision. We HAD to replace the OC and couldn't afford to replace both coordinators. Thought was CGC could help Thacker succeed and free up money for OC.

Makes as much sense as anything else I've heard and that source has been pretty reliable in the past.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I was told from a fairly reliable source within the GTAA that keeping Thacker was a financial decision. We HAD to replace the OC and couldn't afford to replace both coordinators. Thought was CGC could help Thacker succeed and free up money for OC.

Makes as much sense as anything else I've heard and that source has been pretty reliable in the past.
If that is the case (and I don’t doubt you), that confirms we could not fire Collins last year, don’ doesn’t it? In which case, TStan made a mistake hiring Collins but should not be judged for failing to fire him last year.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

I know nothing of the internals. My understanding comes from the AJC article Ken did.
Zelnak did wonder about one change that Collins did not make.

“My big question mark is why is (defensive coordinator Andrew) Thacker still here?” he said. “My understanding is that Collins commented to a GTAA senior staff-level guy that he wanted to keep Thacker because Thacker knew the defense.”

Maybe the moral of the story is only Collins knows.