Stansbury and Collins Dismissed

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think it would be good for the new AD to focus on this and try to raise funds to reduce that debt. It is only going to hold us down in the future as those payments increase.
That athletic association needs more revenue. We need to pay off debt, but we also need to pay for assistant football coaches, have better facilities, spend more on recruiting staff, and more. The big problem is that we need to do all of those things to be competitive. The revenue levels and the debt are preventing us from doing those things now. We probably need another $30-50 million a year in order to do those things and make progress on paying off the debt. Even that won't catch us up with other programs, only keep us from getting even further behind.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think you are onto something here.....Bake sales!!!! I can never turn my back on a good bake sale, Same with the Girl Scout cookies...those mint ones are addictive.
It's kinda corny, but there is a fund raising drive in almost every county of Alabama every week to send money to Tuscaloosa. Touchdown Clubs, Red Elephant Clubs, etc ... all organize the money flow ... it's impressive.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's kinda corny, but there is a fund raising drive in almost every county of Alabama every week to send money to Tuscaloosa. Touchdown Clubs, Red Elephant Clubs, etc ... all organize the money flow ... it's impressive.

GTSwarm annual online fundraiser!!!

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
That athletic association needs more revenue. We need to pay off debt, but we also need to pay for assistant football coaches, have better facilities, spend more on recruiting staff, and more. The big problem is that we need to do all of those things to be competitive. The revenue levels and the debt are preventing us from doing those things now. We probably need another $30-50 million a year in order to do those things and make progress on paying off the debt. Even that won't catch us up with other programs, only keep us from getting even further behind.

For now, we all need to step up and try to give more where we can. I know a lot of people have stopped giving or decreased their giving the past few years due to the Collins mess. That is now over, so let's try to support the program. I'll be honest and note that I moved most of my donations to sports other than football, but did start a new donation just a week or two ago to try and help the situation. If we want to be competitive in the future, we will need good coaches to get us back to winning consistently. With that, we will have more fans at games and hopefully more fans contributing to the AT Fund. But in the IPTAY sense, every dollar does help.

All of this is why the AD and coach search are so critical. We have to get these right.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If Football likely to split off from non revenue sports - keep tstan w NR sports and fund raising.
Get a football ad that works closely w hc , keeps finger on progress, sells football to state legislators so we can get better curriculum, makes sure we have best technology, etc.. Be ready for new NCAA.

Most of all need to turn alumni into gt football sales men and women.
The most important is for someone to work the Hill to make easier us to get the linemen into school and keep them there for at least two if not three years.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I was in Todd's suite a few weeks ago. If he was worried, you could not tell, but his wife, Karen, was definitely aware that Todd was on the verge of being fired. If he does get fired, I do feel bad for them as they are genuinely nice people and I think he has done a great job at fundraising.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I was in Todd's suite a few weeks ago. If he was worried, you could not tell, but his wife, Karen, was definitely aware that Todd was on the verge of being fired. If he does get fired, I do feel bad for them as they are genuinely nice people and I think he has done a great job at fundraising.

Agreed. Nice guy. Loves Tech. Made a couple of bad decisions with regard to our main revenue generating sport. Unfortunate. Hopefully he can transition to a job fundraising under Cabrera or at the Alumni Association.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One thing that's starting to concern me: Is GT starting to have a mega donor meddling problem? See Auburn.

It started with bringing TStan back to GT, and then pressuring TStan to hire CGC (or Whisenhunt).

Now there's a LOT of smoke that donors have already reached out to HC candidates even though we don't even have an AD yet. Personally, I think if GT wants to hire a quality AD, you have to give him rope to hire his own football HC. Hiring a football head coach is one of the signature hires that makes (or breaks...see TStan) an AD's career. Are we cutting our future AD's legs out from under him (or her) by shoehorning them into a candidate they might night even want?

This job isn't the most attractive job for ADs (small budget vs our P5 peers, difficult academics, small curriculum, etc), are we making it even more unattractive by perceived meddling by mega donors?
This is one thing that has bothered me for a little while and that hasn't changed.
It feels like the big donors are throwing TStan under the bus in order to put distance between themselves and the Collins hiring.
Collins was one of the guys the big donors were willing to give more money for. They certainly had at least some input into his hiring. Now that it has gone bad it feels like they are looking for a way to put the blame on others.

It was these same big donors that refused to support the program at the same level under Johnson. Which is partially why a change had to be made in the first place.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
For the players, hopefully they'll view this as an opportunity to be successful and show they can win with good leadership. So, I think it's critical to get the right IHC.
No.

But it does mean people get to pretend for 2 months we'll land a splash hire. So I guess it's a good 3 million spent.
Nothing happened until Sports Illustrated, TV talking heads and the press got behind the “what-the-heck-is-Tech-waiting-for” inquiry of Tech fans. What it means is that the powers that be do not like bad, national media about Georgia Tech, as it tarnishes the image of the school overall.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is one thing that has bothered me for a little while and that hasn't changed.
It feels like the big donors are throwing TStan under the bus in order to put distance between themselves and the Collins hiring.
Collins was one of the guys the big donors were willing to give more money for. They certainly had at least some input into his hiring. Now that it has gone bad it feels like they are looking for a way to put the blame on others.

It was these same big donors that refused to support the program at the same level under Johnson. Which is partially why a change had to be made in the first place.
As our benefactors, we're at their mercy (or at least I am). I just hope they get it right this time.