Staff Changes

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I agree. And optically even if we would have had the same improvement with Patenaude as a new OC doing it with a 1st year OC likely builds more hope. I'm not losing sleep over his firing by any stretch.
Lot of truth in this. Same result with a new guy breeds an optimism of untapped potential whether fair or not. CDP will land on his feet somewhere if wants to continue coaching.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Thacker isn’t ready to be a DC, but he’s well liked and can be a position coach. He’s also pretty young. I don’t mind keeping him on to coach a position, but that’s only if the new DC wants him.
I have no information and this is pure speculation, but if all of the offensive position coaches are staying it might point to one of the current coaches taking over the OC role. If Thacker is being demoted to only LB coach it might point to CGC taking over the DC role.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I know we all want change on our football staff, but keep in mind most assistants work on 1 year contracts. Burton is married with 4 kids. Popovich is married with 2 kids. Yes, the players they coached didn't meet the standards of the play we all want so letting them go was the correct thing for the team, but there's also a human side to firing coaches...especially at the assistant level. They don't have the golden parachute that head coaches have. Now their families will be uprooted and they will need to find jobs.

That's the life they signed up for when they chose this profession...but just saying let's all be mindful that it's not just the assistant coaches that are affected.
If you don’t do your job. Or half way do it or don’t get it done what would your boss do to you ? Especially for 200,000 a year ? Just asking????

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I have no information and this is pure speculation, but if all of the offensive position coaches are staying it might point to one of the current coaches taking over the OC role. If Thacker is being demoted to only LB coach it might point to CGC taking over the DC role.
We still need a QB coach, which usually comes along with the OC title.
If we are promoting coordinators from within, we are truly rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.
We need fresh eyes on the coaching staff, because the game plan this year did not work,

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you don’t do your job. Or half way do it or don’t get it done what would your boss do to you ? Especially for 200,000 a year ? Just asking????

I'm my own boss, and there's no way I fire myself so it doesn't apply to me.

I'm kidding...I get what you're saying, but it doesn't mean other people aren't affected. I know as an employer, I've kept some employees longer than I should have because I know they had families dependent on their income. It's not easy telling someone with mouths to feed they you have to let them go...but to your point, if someone's not doing the job you expect, you have to make tough decisions.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On offense, that’s pretty risky. The only offensive assistant we have who’s ever been an offensive coordinator oversaw the worst offense in FBS. The only guy we have who’s worthy of the opportunity is Tashard Choice, but it’s a risky move asking a guy who’s never called plays or been a coordinator to do better than his former boss who had much more experience with it. If that’s the only way to keep Tashard, though, I say have at it. On defense, I’m willing to try anything at this point.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That doesn't change his point. I don't think he was advocating for keeping anyone. He was saying that we shouldn't be cheerful about it, especially for lower level assistants. I have seen situations where people were who deserved to be fired were fired. It isn't a pleasant experience emotionally, regardless of whether it is the correct thing to do. It isn't appropriate for thousands of people to be cheering and applauding.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer

There is a difference between being friends with a coach and a coach pushing you to be a better player. I think a lot of people on this staff were more worried about fun than putting together a winning team. Or thought that just having fun would lead to winning. If he is trying to allude that he is angry he is more than welcome to transfer...especially after all the blown coverages he and riq had this season.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
If they don't hire Zach Kittley from Western Kentucky I am going to lose my ****.... You've got next-gen Leach/Kingsbury/Lincoln Riley sitting there. Throw the kitchen sink at him. He will produce immediate results. They just went 8-4 and totally lit up the scoreboard, including against major teams.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
If they don't hire Zach Kittley from Western Kentucky I am going to lose my ****.... You've got next-gen Leach/Kingsbury/Lincoln Riley sitting there. Throw the kitchen sink at him. He will produce immediate results. They just went 8-4 and totally lit up the scoreboard, including against major teams.
You don't have an air raid QB on the roster. Sims would fail horribly asked to make those reads and those throws in the time they need to be made.

Gibbs would thrive in that system, but without a point guard, that system grinds to a halt

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d like to show a little love to CDP. He had the Cahoonas to take a job very few OCs in the country wanted. And if that job wasn’t challenging enough, the two most promising WR recruits (Gowdy and Blackburn) we landed never stepped on the field for him (RIP Bryce). His OL never gelled for him (whether it was talent, youth, injuries, etc). His qb spent half of this year injured. Our defense, sadly, did him no favors. And CDP was always a class act from what I witnessed.

Was he a great OC? I doubt it. Do I think he needed to go? Probably. But he has nothing to hang his head about, though I realize there are some on here that feel differently (and that’s okay).