Staff Changes

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
Western Kentucky had immediate and great results with Kittley because they imported the QB and top WR’s from Houston Baptist with him via transfer. Not saying he’s not Lincoln Riley at ECU (who knows), but we would not have the same ability to do that and would see much worse growing pains.
That was a fascinating experiment to follow. They basically imported their entire passing attack, from QB, top 3 or 4 receivers, and coordinator, from Houston Baptist.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Collins is in no position to hire an experiment at OC

If its the schummann guy from uga as dc he won’t be on board until after the national title game and we may not even hear about it until after then so it won’t be a distraction to uga

Muschamp is available lol
First lets rule out Schummann he is listed as co-defensive coordinator and also coaches ILB's CGC kept Thacker and we are guessing to by LB's coach so that don't fit. He is also making $5oo,ooo per year so it would take more ( guess here 750,000) And uga will not let him go that easy.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
First lets rule out Schummann he is listed as co-defensive coordinator and also coaches ILB's CGC kept Thacker and we are guessing to by LB's coach so that don't fit. He is also making $5oo,ooo per year so it would take more ( guess here 750,000) And uga will not let him go that easy.
Assuming Lanning gets a HC job this off season, Muschamp is moving to DC most likely from what I’ve seen and heard from UGA buddies.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I just hope CGC has the nads to tell Thacker he will stay if and only if the new DC wants him. Oh, yea…and that CGC doesn’t make himself the new DC.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Goodness. Seeing the player response to Burton leaving is heart breaking. I know it’s business and it’s how we improve. But there ain’t a outcry from the players about Pnode or Pop. It stinks that this is how he’s gonna go out. I just hope the recruiting scene doesn’t also have similar anguish.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Goodness. Seeing the player response to Burton leaving is heart breaking. I know it’s business and it’s how we improve. But there ain’t a outcry from the players about Pnode or Pop. It stinks that this is how he’s gonna go out. I just hope the recruiting scene doesn’t also have similar anguish.
We’re doing this @ss backwards.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’d like to show a little love to CDP. He had the Cahoonas to take a job very few OCs in the country wanted. And if that job wasn’t challenging enough, the two most promising WR recruits (Gowdy and Blackburn) we landed never stepped on the field for him (RIP Bryce). His OL never gelled for him (whether it was talent, youth, injuries, etc). His qb spent half of this year injured. Our defense, sadly, did him no favors. And CDP was always a class act from what I witnessed.

Was he a great OC? I doubt it. Do I think he needed to go? Probably. But he has nothing to hang his head about, though I realize there are some on here that feel differently (and that’s okay).

And does anyone think the GT OC is a more desirable job now? Hopefully there is someone out there already in mind ........

Personally, I don't think the O was nearly the problem this year that D was. But it's all relative. If the D had gotten a few more stops a game and the O had the ball a few more times we would have been bowling.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
We’re doing this @ss backwards.
I don't think you can say that at this point. The schemes that Thacker drew up this year were just ok, but it was compounded by really bad positional play and decision-making. There is a possibility that changing assistants could help, but I agree that Thacker should take a more reduced roll.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I could see demoting Thacker and hiring a new DC, but I cannot see Collins taking on the DC role. He is not doing the job he already has very well. I also cannot imagine TStan or the "money guys" agreeing to it. Collins is already taking heat for doing a poor job and him taking on additional active duties simply makes no sense. Collins has to know he is serving a probation year and needs to focus if he wants to have a fifth year at his dream job.

(I wonder if that dream has become his recurring nightmare???)

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I could see demoting Thacker and hiring a new DC, but I cannot see Collins taking on the DC role. He is not doing the job he already has very well. I also cannot imagine TStan or the "money guys" agreeing to it. Collins is already taking heat for doing a poor job and him taking on additional active duties simply makes no sense. Collins has to know he is serving a probation year and needs to focus if he wants to have a fifth year at his dream job.

Agreed. I don't want to see Collins name himself the DC.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I don't think Tstan wants him as a DC I guess he kept him for recruiting. But whoever he picks he needs to let him run the defense and not change things

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If he wasn't Juanyeh's little brother, would you have any second thoughts about him outside of being a 4 star? That's not a knock against Azareyah Thomas, I'm just saying AT is probably given more weight by GT fans because he is Juanyeh's brother and not some random DB recruit.

We've never had a problem recruiting DBs, even under CPJ. I'd LOVE to have AT, but the recruitment of one player shouldn't dictate who we hire as a coach.
AT is damn near 5 star.