Spring Practice

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

This is on recruiting but it’s Beautiful.

I'm glad we're doing this, but I think the final results will not meet expectations any time soon.

One of the problems we will face with the "404 Takeover" is that the number of metro Atlanta players who will meet admissions standards at Tech will probably be low. Secondary education in Georgia is pretty bad in comparison to the rest of the country and, while the Atlanta public high schools have made good progress recently, their capacity to deliver young men who can meet even the exceptions standards at Tech is probably not going to be extensive. This is why so many here have called for a re-emphasis on a national recruiting approach and why we've hit so hard on private schools recently.

I'm for the initiative, however: one way to increase the number of academically qualified players from Atlanta public education would be to show them what it takes to get into and succeed at Tech then challenge them to meet Tech's standards. If we can get better at identifying potential players at a younger age, I'm sure that kind of counseling - it would involve contact with players, their parents, and their school academic counselors - is what we have in mind, long term. But I don't think "… taking an interest in 'INNER CITY' athletes" is going to be enough to deliver appreciable numbers of athletes to Tech that otherwise would go to places that have less stringent admission standards and more general curriculums.

I hope we aren't doing this simply for PR purposes. To make 404 work we should be committed for the long haul. And, yes, that'll cost money. And be worth every penny to both Tech football and to the city's students.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'm glad we're doing this, but I think the final results will not meet expectations any time soon.

One of the problems we will face with the "404 Takeover" is that the number of metro Atlanta players who will meet admissions standards at Tech will probably be low. Secondary education in Georgia is pretty bad in comparison to the rest of the country and, while the Atlanta public high schools have made good progress recently, their capacity to deliver young men who can meet even the exceptions standards at Tech is probably not going to be extensive. This is why so many here have called for a re-emphasis on a national recruiting approach and why we've hit so hard on private schools recently.

I'm for the initiative, however: one way to increase the number of academically qualified players from Atlanta public education would be to show them what it takes to get into and succeed at Tech then challenge them to meet Tech's standards. If we can get better at identifying potential players at a younger age, I'm sure that kind of counseling - it would involve contact with players, their parents, and their school academic counselors - is what we have in mind, long term. But I don't think "… taking an interest in 'INNER CITY' athletes" is going to be enough to deliver appreciable numbers of athletes to Tech that otherwise would go to places that have less stringent admission standards and more general curriculums.

I hope we aren't doing this simply for PR purposes. To make 404 work we should be committed for the long haul. And, yes, that'll cost money. And be worth every penny to both Tech football and to the city's students.
There is a reason our school seal has the words "Progress and Service" on it. Doing the the right thing, for the right reasons is the mission here. As a guy born in the metro-Atlanta area who graduated from GT and married a GT ME, I couldn't be more excited to be donating to both the academic and athletic programs of the school. The work we do in the community (using the platform of sport) is important as ever. A small step in reclaiming some of the value for the student athletes is a noble effort.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

We can't just assume this and turn our backs on the metro area.

I came from what would be considered an awful public school so I thoroughly enjoy showing my GT degree and 2 middle fingers to folks who look at data and assumed I couldn't do it.

People are not robots. I get all the data. I get all of what it says. None of it justifies simply punting on recruiting this area altogether.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We can't just assume this and turn our backs on the metro area.

I came from what would be considered an awful public school so I thoroughly enjoy showing my GT degree and 2 middle fingers to folks who look at data and assumed I couldn't do it.

People are not robots. I get all the data. I get all of what it says. None of it justifies simply punting on recruiting this area altogether.
Did you read the post?

I don't want us to "turn our backs on the metro area" (whatever that means). Tech will always get the majority of its players from Georgia and a lot of them from Atlanta; we always have. All recruiting, further, is individual in character. What I was pointing out is that expecting such a program to deliver without a long term commitment to it was moonshine. Because, as you say, the data don't support the idea that a simple proclamation that we are going to "takeover 404" is going to be anywhere near enough. It's ok as a slogan. But talk is cheap. It's like Warren Buffet said. "Writing a check separates a commitment from a conversation." That's what making good on this will take.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Anyone know if they have any live entertainment planned for halftime?

I’m sure there will bee plenty of live entertainment in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters.

The GT Band and the GT cheerleaders will provide entertainment at halftime.

That all will be enough for me! LOL

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure there will bee plenty of live entertainment in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters.

The GT Band and the GT cheerleaders will provide entertainment at halftime.

That all will be enough for me! LOL

Thats more than enough for me too, but i thought there might be a Rapper or something for the recruits you know?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thats more than enough for me too, but i thought there might be a Rapper or something for the recruits you know?
My guess is there will be a famous rapper roaming the sidelines. I doubt there will be a performance, but you never know. It would be extremely foolish not to publicize it ahead of time.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

giphy.gif

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
I read in an email from tech that there will be a DJ in the student section. That's sounds pretty hype! (hopefully the DJ doesn't step on the bands toes though)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
My guess is there will be a famous rapper roaming the sidelines. I doubt there will be a performance, but you never know. It would be extremely foolish not to publicize it ahead of time.
There is an argument for doing things without advertising then hyping them across social media. It causes the perceived value of future events to go up (people never know when the next cool experience will be and don't want to miss it).

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
There is an argument for doing things without advertising then hyping them across social media. It causes the perceived value of future events to go up (people never know when the next cool experience will be and don't want to miss it).
Could also create more buzz. “Hey, did you hear *whatever artist* was at Tech’s spring game?”

Pros and cons I guess to each side.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

There’s that, as well as wanting to keep the focus on the football team and making sure a bunch of non-fans aren’t just coming for the concert. Yeah, it’s great to have a big attendance number, but there’d be so many people just coming for a free concert without caring about the football part (taking up space and creating distractions). I like it as a “bonus for Tech fans that show up” kinda thing.