Spring Practice

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm seconding the request for anyone at the game to be a hero and stream some of it. I live in California, so it's going to be pretty hard to get out of court in time to make kickoff...

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
26C37F6E-5C84-42FA-98DA-D0807008153E.jpeg
Funny not funny.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't want to "like" your post, because it might give the wrong impression of my thoughts. I definitely believe that Woody's defense will be better than Roof's, and I frankly expect evidence of that from the start. We may still get burned, but IMO it's a helluva lot better to get burned attacking than to get burned reacting. The more we attack, the sooner the big results will happen. I expect to see some of that attack mode in action Friday night.
We got burned sometimes under Tenuta by really good QB's but I'd much rather be torched by the Matt Schaubs, Phillip Rivers, and Matt Ryan's of the world than the Kurt Benkerts.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Oh this D is gonna get torched. Polished QB’s will burn them with all the attacking blitzing but eventually the D should get more wins and losses. With this O and a solid D. That maybe enough to turn the tide. I have hope.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Oh this D is gonna get torched. Polished QB’s will burn them with all the attacking blitzing but eventually the D should get more wins and losses. With this O and a solid D. That maybe enough to turn the tide. I have hope.

Looking forward to putting the opponent on the clock and then drop 8 into coverage! What a change from the past.

If we get x more turnovers per game followed by quick scores but as a result give up y quick score, the offense is back on the field quicker x plus y times.
If x = 3y we will wear them down as coach gets in sync w play calls and we win big! Give me 7 wins with 1 big win against uga, mi, vt and i am pretty happy.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
This is why I'm a bit optimistic about our D this coming year. I just don't really see a "polished QB" on our schedule. I think we'll play against some talented QBs but no one that is well established and "NFL-ready". Most have been a starter at most, one full year.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I don't think it's a "polished QB" thing. With CJT, we stoned Phillip Rivers and every QB the mutts threw at us (after the first year or two) including Shockley and Stafford. And, we admittedly got burned by a few that weren't as heralded (Fresno St, Utah), but I think it was those systems that gave us trouble more than the polished QB. WVU also hurt us, not because Pat White was a polished passer but because those kinds of offenses (option) do a lot to neutralize an zone-dog blitzing scheme. Don't judge a defense by the worst performances, but by the overall performance ... otherwise Bud Foster and Nick Saban also would look like hacks.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I've got a little conspiracy theory. I'm wondering if CPJ put those gold jerseys on the QB's to get Marshall to think more as a distributor in the offense instead of always thinking me-first. I'm not saying Marshall is a selfish player at all, just that he's got such ability that it's hard not to think about making a play yourself ahead of thinking about what the offense itself can do. I certainly don't remember keeping the QB's out of contact before (except for JT after he was already the established fanchise-player), and it's not like the QB's couldn't use the extra experience with full contact. From what I've known of CPJ in the past, he likes having his QB's be football players, tough-guys, and guys that know how to take a licking and keep on ticking. I even remember him saying before that the QB's need to practice with contact, otherwise, they won't really be ready for the game.
I could be wrong, obviously, and would understand the rationale behind a non-contact decision. But, if it's to help with the mindset, I think that's pretty smart. I guess it could be a both-and.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So heres the deal with defense.

There are 2 schools of thought.

School 1 - Attack Attack Attack. This school fo thought is focused on forcing mistakes and getting off the field. This can be done from any number of formations and schemes as this is a philosophical thing. We are now going to be doing this from a 3-4(5-2 alignment) Its actually a more old school way of playing D and was a lot more common when rushing offenses were more prevalent. The last time we ran this was under Tenuta. We also ran a similar concept in 1990 under O'leary and the Black Watch defense was also this mentality ( which is odd why Roof ended up more towards a read and react Defense).

School 2- Read and react, This thought process is that yoru defense operates on reading the offense and having a counter to every formation or situation. It is heavily reliant on Play recognition for big play generation and instead trades the Chaos of an attacking defense for a measured response forcing opponents to drive and hoping to force errors. This style of defense is very popular in the NFL because of the talent level of everyone you face. It also has the bad habit of having your defense play to your opponent unless your D-line is winning individual matchups. Wommack, Roof, and Groh all had defenses that varied on this style. This style of defense can work really well (Seahawks, our 2014 defense with its turnover rate genereated through play rec)

School 1 is easier to teach and allows players to play fast

School 2 is harder and requires players to play smart, but not to smart as all the if-then can lead to freezing and bad calls.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

I'm not sure. I don't think Woody's scheme is necessarily more blitz-heavy than most. It's just that the goal of his players is to attack and disrupt instead of hold the line or read/react. If the players fail to execute their assignment or get physically overmatched, we'll get torched. But that's not really different than any other defense. We need to have enough penetration and enough variety to not give the polished QBs easy reads or consistently enough time in the pocket in order to burn us. Even rushing 3 or 4 will get burned by a polished QB if they are in rhythm and the 3 or 4 rushers don't alter or eventually break down the pocket.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I wish someone had a stat for this, and maybe there is, but if I’m not mistaken This D under Woody hasn’t been one to get torched often. It’s an aggressive, but he’s still smart with it.