Spring Practice

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish someone had a stat for this, and maybe there is, but if I’m not mistaken This D under Woody hasn’t been one to get torched often. It’s an aggressive, but he’s still smart with it.

They were almost exactly average at allowing big plays last year
See statistics here
Explosiveness of 1.19 vs avg 1.17 means they only allowed a fraction more explosiveness from the opposing offense.

For comparison, we were a little better at 1.08
Our defensive efficiency was worse (we allowed opponents to extend drives and pick up consistent yardage)
Starting field position was so garbage for defense (we forced our offense to drive the whole field)
We also allowed more points inside the 40 yd line (bent and also broke)
See here

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure. I don't think Woody's scheme is necessarily more blitz-heavy than most. It's just that the goal of his players is to attack and disrupt instead of hold the line or read/react. If the players fail to execute their assignment or get physically overmatched, we'll get torched. But that's not really different than any other defense. We need to have enough penetration and enough variety to not give the polished QBs easy reads or consistently enough time in the pocket in order to burn us. Even rushing 3 or 4 will get burned by a polished QB if they are in rhythm and the 3 or 4 rushers don't alter or eventually break down the pocket.

From I understand his D is based in the **** LeBeau philosophy. The D brings pressure from zone blitzing linebackers and safeties from everywhere. He slants his from seven to shot the gaps and confuses O’s on where the pressure is coming.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
From I understand his D is based in the **** LeBeau philosophy. The D brings pressure from zone blitzing linebackers and safeties from everywhere. He slants his from seven to shot the gaps and confuses O’s on where the pressure is coming.

Yeah but I think the operative idea is how many guys are sent to rush the QB on a given play. For Tenuta, it wasn't just how his scheme designed blitzes. He also blitzed extra guys nearly every play. You can rush 4 regularly and therefore not blitz, but you'll probably be more effective at creating pressure if the assignment of those 4 is to penetrate rather than cover gaps and the defense can't tell which 4 of the front 7 are coming and to which gaps. Even if the pressure is a little late, it can still be effective if the coverage scheme is hard to read pre-snap. The more you make the offense have to be accountable for figuring out on the fly, the more you slow them down and create opportunities for them to make the wrong read or be tentative.

I'm not saying he won't blitz plenty. I'm not sure how much he really will, but I really like the scheme for creating more negative plays and disrupting the rhythm of an offense even without blitzing at all.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
See statistics here
Explosiveness of 1.19 vs avg 1.17 means they only allowed a fraction more explosiveness from the opposing offense.

Our defensive efficiency was worse (we allowed opponents to extend drives and pick up consistent yardage)
Starting field position was so garbage for defense (we forced our offense to drive the whole field)
See here

Welcome aboard! Numbers and opinion!
Most have been run off - Be strong .

I will study your post source.
Question.
On thing i wonder about stats is how they work with a hi risk defense as weighted for field position and key game moment?
Also how about hi risk defense with a good running game?

The example i think of is the buddy ryan defense w the oiliers. When timed right the results of the turn over or big loss translated into an uptick in the offense Imo.
The recent texans tried it w wade phillips but their offense did nothing. Wade Moved to denver, backed off a bit , then partnered w some offense, and denver got very good results .

Just memory, but seems like the stats on d were about the same. But when the offense could get a little push along w the aggressive d, the other team played
disparate.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Oh this D is gonna get torched. Polished QB’s will burn them with all the attacking blitzing but eventually the D should get more wins and losses. With this O and a solid D. That maybe enough to turn the tide. I have hope.

Fwiw, I think the biggest switch is from controlling gaps to penetrating gaps. It's more aggressive without necessarily more blitzing.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I've got a little conspiracy theory. I'm wondering if CPJ put those gold jerseys on the QB's to get Marshall to think more as a distributor in the offense instead of always thinking me-first. I'm not saying Marshall is a selfish player at all, just that he's got such ability that it's hard not to think about making a play yourself ahead of thinking about what the offense itself can do. I certainly don't remember keeping the QB's out of contact before (except for JT after he was already the established fanchise-player), and it's not like the QB's couldn't use the extra experience with full contact. From what I've known of CPJ in the past, he likes having his QB's be football players, tough-guys, and guys that know how to take a licking and keep on ticking. I even remember him saying before that the QB's need to practice with contact, otherwise, they won't really be ready for the game.

I could be wrong, obviously, and would understand the rationale behind a non-contact decision. But, if it's to help with the mindset, I think that's pretty smart. I guess it could be a both-and.

I think the last time CPJ let his starting QB go live was in the Spring game when Milton chased and caught JeT from behind near the goal. The injury was minor but the play looked scary. After that CPJ seemed more protective of his QBs.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
See statistics here

See here
Thank you! I can live with that. Plus I think we will have more big plays than our D allows.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Sorry for the grammar. I’m walking and typing.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone seen a Spring Game roster? We got one in 2017 on the net before the game but I cannot find one yet for this year. Its more important this year because there are more players (on D and OL) whose position is unknown.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
See statistics here

See here

First Looked at stats and saw a big swing in run stuffs (Individuals added up) - App state = 125. GT = 55. Also Both Ilb at App state were the team stuff leaders. With Andy coaching Swilling and Mitchell i have hopes of gt getting some some espn highlite time.

Dare we get hopeful our D earns a good nick name?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
First Looked at stats and saw a big swing in run stuffs (Individuals added up) - App state = 125. GT = 55. Also Both Ilb at App state were the team stuff leaders. With Andy coaching Swilling and Mitchell i have hopes of gt getting some some espn highlite time.

Dare we get hopeful our D earns a good nick name?

Quez and I predict Dingle will be right there on the 2 deep. Quez may push to start.

Juneyah I can see at either OLB or safety. Definitely feel he’ll have a good shot to see the field as a freshman.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Another interesting thing that I gleaned from the above sites was a statistic called Havoc rate which basically charts the percentage of plays for lost sacks turnovers, Etc.

Appalachian State was number 15 in the country, Georgia Tech was number 109.

So it appears Georgia Tech is going from one of the most conservative defensive coordinators in the entire country to one of the most aggressive.

Quite a change.