Spring Practice

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
we did kick a FG - to tie! Shawn hit a long pass to the tight end to get us deep in red zone with time running out. We couldn't get it in EZ so we kicked a FG to tie.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
we did kick a FG - to tie! Shawn hit a long pass to the tight end to get us deep in red zone with time running out. We couldn't get it in EZ so we kicked a FG to tie.

Exactly. We passed up the tying FG earlier. It was obvious, at least to me, to tie the game at that point. It was certain we were going to get the ball back as UNC had not done squat on offense all day. Tie it up, then get in position for Sisson to win it. We were close to losing because we passed on the earlier FG.

I was at that Clemson game surrounded by CU fans in the north stands. It was brutal; got to see our heroic goal line defense up close. I've never seen a better defensive stand, nor a defense more tired afterwards. IIRC, they had 1st and 10 on the 15, took 4 downs to make first and goal at the 5, then took four downs and was stopped short.

I was there for that too, but I really don't remember that game. The UNCheat, UVA, VT, and Georgia games all stand out in my memory, but for some reason not that one.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
Exactly. We passed up the tying FG earlier. It was obvious, at least to me, to tie the game at that point. It was certain we were going to get the ball back as UNC had not done squat on offense all day. Tie it up, then get in position for Sisson to win it. We were close to losing because we passed on the earlier FG.
Ok, Yes I remember that! I misunderstood what you said. Yes, we could have tied it up earlier and won with the last FG.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

When Clay fumbled the punt down near our goal, it didn't look good. The end result felt like deja vu to me 39 years later. I was a kid when my dad took me to the 1951 Tech-Duke game, a 14-14 tie that ruined our perfect season.