Spring Practice

slugboy

Staff member
Another interesting thing that I gleaned from the above sites was a statistic called Havoc rate which basically charts the percentage of plays for lost sacks turnovers, Etc.

Appalachian State was number 15 in the country, Georgia Tech was number 109.

So it appears Georgia Tech is going from one of the most conservative defensive coordinators in the entire country to one of the most aggressive.

Quite a change.

I don’t know if it’s “aggression” as much as the defensive version of “explosiveness”. You can get those stats in read and react with strips, interceptions, fumbles, and sacks. We just didn’t last year. It just would come differently, like from a coverage sack.

Mind that I don’t think read and react is going to be as high in that area as an aggressive defense; it’s more that 109th is ridiculous for a P5 defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Sit out = Gold list 4 ol and White list = no branch.
Must be a typo.
No one on swarm makea typos - especially me
Branch - White Team or sitting out?

And Gates, Broadway, and Stanzione are not on the Ramblin Wreck roster and what is their number and what position?
Click on the rosters for the game Branch is on the white team listed

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
So where is the actual roster it refers to? And WTH are we having a blue-white game? It has ALWAYS been the Gold-White game.
Type in buzz.gt/FBSG18finaldet on Google scroll down just a little bit and it should have rosters for white and blue Branch is on the first page #99 last one on that page,I have no idea why really makes no sense they should have gold vs white that's what our colors are

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Since we hired CNW I have thought this was Adam's chance to solidify himself as a starter at the NT position. It is a really great opportunity for him to take a big step forward. He has the since, just needs the endurance and technique.

I think that's one of the many things about CNW's defense that has a lot of us confused...and excited. If you look back at the thread about projecting which players would play where in this defense, a good portion of us had it wrong. The thinking was CNW's 3-4 personnel would follow the "traditional" 3-4 personnel at each position: War daddy 300 plus lbs NT's, 280 lbs DEs, OLBs that were more DEs than LBs, etc. Some were already pegging Anree at OLB, BJS at OLB, Vic at ILB, Adams at NT...etc. Instead, CNW values quickness and speed at postions where traditional 3-4 personnel values size and power. Every guy along the front 7 must have the ability to attack gaps and get off blocks, as opposed to just standing up blockers and helping the designed blitzer get into the backfield.

CNW values the ability of players to create chaos, positional versatility, and the ability to shed blocks and make plays. We're seeing that with reports of the offense giving up more negative plays than usual. For me, I'm excited about all the athletic LBs and DBs we've recruited the last two years. IMO, this a defense that makes use of those players.

I've said for the last 2 years, put Brant Mitchell in a different scheme and he becomes a much better LB. He was miscast in Ted Roof's defense that needed a LB that could cover chunks of space. That wasn't Mitchell. Now Mitchell has a smaller area to patrol, and he has help on both sides. He's going to be a VERY good LB for us in this scheme. It's a shame Terrell Lewis has moved on...I think he would have been great in this scheme as well at OLB.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Even with those rosters though Henderson still appears to be with the twos.

Could Charlie Thomas really have already grabbed the starting role as an early enrollee freshman?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I've said for the last 2 years, put Brant Mitchell in a different scheme and he becomes a much better LB. He was miscast in Ted Roof's defense that needed a LB that could cover chunks of space. That wasn't Mitchell. Now Mitchell has a smaller area to patrol, and he has help on both sides. He's going to be a VERY good LB for us in this scheme. It's a shame Terrell Lewis has moved on...I think he would have been great in this scheme as well at OLB.
One of the several mysteries to me on D over the past few years is why didn't Lewis see the field more. I'm not sure if it was a him, coaching, fit or something else, but to some degree I feel like we missed an opportunity with him. Oh well, it's water under the bridge at this point.