Spring Practice

I wonder how many of those games in the Top 10 attendance list were played on Friday night?
If that's a dig at Tech for having ours on Friday night, instead of Saturday, we've had them on Saturday, and the attendance has still been low. The attendance Friday night was actually the highest attendance I have ever seen at a Tech spring game. Would it have been higher Saturday afternoon? No way of knowing, but past history would say probably no more or less.

slugboy

Staff member
That Scott Frost offense is gonna be fun to watch at Nebraska. I hope he boat races OSU, Michigan, and Penn State.

It’s gonna be tough. I hear kids aren’t psyched when they walk off the plane in Lincoln Nebraska.
Franklin is doing well in Happy Valley, though, and there are other remote spots like Blacksburg that do well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s gonna be tough. I hear kids aren’t psyched when they walk off the plane in Lincoln Nebraska.
Franklin is doing well in Happy Valley, though, and there are other remote spots like Blacksburg that do well.

Hell, there can't be much excitement when you arrive in Clemson, Athens, Tuscaloosa, Starkville, etc either, but most of them do pretty good (well, maybe not Ole Miss, but....)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Black screen
"Smart young accomplished coach returns to the school he was a ....".
Que the Music...
Bring up the lights....
View the frost covered football field
Pan up into the stands... see the cornhusker faithful.
Destiny call .....
Michigan 45 Nebraska 10.
Awe crap.

I hope he does well. They need a heavy run offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Black screen
"Smart young accomplished coach returns to the school he was a ....".
Que the Music...
Bring up the lights....
View the frost covered football field
Pan up into the stands... see the cornhusker faithful.
Destiny call .....
Michigan 45 Nebraska 10.
Awe crap.

I hope he does well. They need a heavy run offense.

Almost all of my favorite poems of the human condition end with, "Awe (or ahh) crap."

The exceptions would include reference to Jesus, but this is the football forum.

Go Nebraska because my Wolverine brother-in-law ... enough said.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If that's a dig at Tech for having ours on Friday night, instead of Saturday, we've had them on Saturday, and the attendance has still been low. The attendance Friday night was actually the highest attendance I have ever seen at a Tech spring game. Would it have been higher Saturday afternoon? No way of knowing, but past history would say probably no more or less.

Not a “dig” at Tech, just a query. I suspect college football games, whether spring games or regular season, traditionally are scheduled on Saturday afternoon to allow the greatest number of fans to avoid work conflicts and to travel from out of town. If you’re trying to build your fan base, little things, like convenience for fans, become more important. Just because spring game attendance has been poor on some past Saturdays doesn’t mean that attendance would have been similarly poor had the game been scheduled this past Saturday afternoon instead of Friday night.

Not a “dig” at Tech, just a query. I suspect college football games, whether spring games or regular season, traditionally are scheduled on Saturday afternoon to allow the greatest number of fans to avoid work conflicts and to travel from out of town. If you’re trying to build your fan base, little things, like convenience for fans, become more important. Just because spring game attendance has been poor on some past Saturdays doesn’t mean that attendance would have been similarly poor had the game been scheduled this past Saturday afternoon instead of Friday night.
Might have been more; we'll never know. Tech started the Friday night thing back when the TV show "Friday Night Lights" was on, and it was sold as our version of the same. Unfortunately, until last year it rained every year, including a downpour one year. To be honest, and this goes back to when I was in school in the 60s, I never went to a Spring game until that first year on Friday. But that was mainly because our prospects for the following year seemed good. Since then I have only missed one (bad weather), and I go mainly to hang out with friends I only see in the Fall. Overall spring games are generally pretty boring.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We all hit the bad traffic when we get to Atlanta and the Campus. Those of us local who work are really crowded to make the Friday night schedule and it can be a real obstacle to making the game. Those coming from out of town have already made the work adjustment and can better accommodate the traffic with their schedule. Saturday is lots better for the locals who I suspect greatly outnumber the out of towners. And I suspect the out of towners are better off with the Saturday game as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Or if on a Friday at least start kickoff at 8 instead of 7.

They did a fireworks show after one that my kids really enjoyed. Unless I’m mixing it up with a Dodd after dark movie night.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think you are mixing it up. I don't remember a fireworks display after any of the Friday night games
They did after the first Friday night spring game. They were supposed to the next couple of years, but it was raining so the fireworks were cancelled for one I thing and the game was also cancelled for the other.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I sure don't remember that, and I was there.

The fireworks were fired from the Upper North stands. They blocked off the pass from the Lower East to the Lower North because sparks were dropping there. Some of the players went to the locker room during the fireworks, but they were getting pelted by sparks. I remember it pretty well.