Spring Practice

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
They filled it for soccer. They spent a *** load of money on advertising and it paid off. With the attention span of most , you have to advertise and promote. People ***** about UGA but they spend millions of dollars on the brand. Those tv shows and getting all the press is not inexpensive.

For how many of the soccer games did they wait until the week of the game to announce the start time?

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I had an English class at Tech in the early 70s that met one night per week at Manuel’s Tavern just off campus. There was no absenteeism. Was that because we drank beer or because we discussed the sci-if course literature or because attendance was mandatory? We’ll never know, but, maybe The Hill should just require attendance as part of a mandatory, 1-credit hour, pass-fail, self-study fall requirement into the Phenomenon of Collegiate Football each fall. It would beat a lot of course descriptions on a lot of campuses and could foster some campus cohesion. We could be cheering, “Go, Jackets!” in 50 languages!
I loved Manuel's Tavern. Is that place still around?

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
Recent alumni here - GT can absolutely do a better job at reaching out to students. The time frame to buy student season tickets is short - just a few weeks after classes start. So by the time you get settled into classes and whatnot the deadline passed.

There are free tickets every game but I rarely saw it advertised. Admittedly, I wasn't extremely into football my first year (only went to GT for grad school, transplant from the north), so I didn't even know games were happening until I walked on campus to get work done on Saturday.

It is a two way street but GT can do more marketing - for football and basketball.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
have we heard about any serious injuries from Spring Practice? Hopefully we came out fairly healthy.

In addition to Kenny Cooper, mentioned above, I thought I also heard coach mention David Curry getting injured. Luckily, we do have some talent at LB with Vic, Brant, Bruce, Jaquan, etc.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
That being said the problem in filling our stands involves picking up a ton of sidewalk fans when most are already UGA fans or Big 10 fans since a large number of alumni live here. NFL fans who are transplants will go to games even if their team isn't playing but a lot of college fans only go games in which there team is playing. We definitely need something to pull in the casual sidewalk fan due to a smaller student population and local alumni base.

This is tough. I think that most people pull for a team because they grew up around family and friends who pulled for that team. I really, really, really hate to admit this but I was a Dwag fan as a kid. I didn’t turn into a Tech fan until I turned into a Tech student. Regardless, my family still thinks I should be a Dwag fan. Ugh!!!

Don’t hate. We all did things in our youth that we aren’t proud about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
This is tough. I think that most people pull for a team because they grew up around family and friends who pulled for that team. I really, really, really hate to admit this but I was a Dwag fan as a kid. I didn’t turn into a Tech fan until I turned into a Tech student. Regardless, my family still thinks I should be a Dwag fan. Ugh!!!

You need to get a new family...

When I was a child in the early 50s, my sister (then in HS) dated a Tech student for awhile, and, I guess because I really liked the boy, I fell in love with Tech almost immediately. She later married a Georgia grad who came from a large family who were all BIG Tech fans, and he himself remained a Tech fan, both while in Athens, and after he graduated. All three of their now grown kids are big Tech fans, their son actually having gone there. in the 90s. So it is indeed nice to have a family who are all smart. LOL

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone will be ok. The only “ serious “
Injury was Coop. Hopefully he will recover quickly.
When I was a child in the early 50s, my sister (then in HS) dated a Tech student for awhile, and, I guess because I really liked the boy, I fell in love with Tech almost immediately. She later married a Georgia grad who came from a large family who were all BIG Tech fans, and he himself remained a Tech fan, both while in Athens, and after he graduated. All three of their now grown kids are big Tech fans, their son actually having gone there. in the 90s. So it is indeed nice to have a family who are all smart. LOL
My parents were GT fans until I played for UGA. Back in the day , GT was the place to be. I think GT got lazy. This is a new age. You have to be aggressive. There is a lot of other things to do in Atlanta. You have to Advertise.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

My parents were GT fans until I played for UGA. Back in the day , GT was the place to be. I think GT got lazy. This is a new age. You have to be aggressive. There is a lot of other things to do in Atlanta. You have to Advertise.
You should email Tstan that

Really glad to see that your son has put things back in place again and got you back in the fold too. :D:D

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, I don't think it's surprising they filled it for soccer. To the average American sports fan it's probably surprising bc the average American sports fan doesn't care about soccer , but Atlanta has a massive international community. I mean Mexico vs Nigeria sold out the Dome several years ago.

That being said the problem in filling our stands involves picking up a ton of sidewalk fans when most are already UGA fans or Big 10 fans since a large number of alumni live here. NFL fans who are transplants will go to games even if their team isn't playing but a lot of college fans only go games in which there team is playing. We definitely need something to pull in the casual sidewalk fan due to a smaller student population and local alumni base.
Transplanted college alumni almost never adopt the local college as their new team. They can watch their true team on tv or travel to home games to be with friends. Converting college grads should not be our goal, it's a fool's errand.

On the other hand, it should be our goal to cultivate a fanbase from the Atlanta metro area. We don't do this and it's always left me scratching my head. New fans can easily be made in their youth and it lasts a lifetime. Why we are not giving away, or giving deep discounts, to youth groups to fill seats that would go empty anyway is beyond me. It's killing two hated birds with one stone: building a loyal, lifelong fanbase from the ground up, and filling the dadgum stadium. To me it's a nobrainer.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Recent alumni here - GT can absolutely do a better job at reaching out to students. The time frame to buy student season tickets is short - just a few weeks after classes start. So by the time you get settled into classes and whatnot the deadline passed.

There are free tickets every game but I rarely saw it advertised. Admittedly, I wasn't extremely into football my first year (only went to GT for grad school, transplant from the north), so I didn't even know games were happening until I walked on campus to get work done on Saturday.

It is a two way street but GT can do more marketing - for football and basketball.
We just flashed our id's and walked in (flask in back pocket, too), they should go back to that, it's so much simpler and would get more students in the games.