Spring Practice

tatertot1

Ramblin' Wreck
Or if on a Friday at least start kickoff at 8 instead of 7.

They did a fireworks show after one that my kids really enjoyed. Unless I’m mixing it up with a Dodd after dark movie night.
Or start it at 12 or 1 on a Saturday wished they'd go back to that but I don't see it

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I prefer Saturday, but if they’re going to keep on on Friday it should be later. Fighting the nightmare that is Atlanta traffic to get down there for a 7 pm kickoff is awful. We left at 4:30 from Cumming and didn’t pull into the parking lot until 6:25...basically had to chug a few beers before going in. I would have loved a little more time.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Still an estimation because its not like we sold tickets.
There were a lot of students coming and going throughout the game. When I left at half, I passed a bunch of students just heading in. I was in the lower east, and it looked to me like the entire crowd could have packed into the lower West. Anybody know the capacity of the lower West?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
There were a lot of students coming and going throughout the game. When I left at half, I passed a bunch of students just heading in. I was in the lower east, and it looked to me like the entire crowd could have packed into the lower West. Anybody know the capacity of the lower West?

I think lower west is 10000

Typical of the Tech students not to arrive until at least the 2nd quarter. SAD

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The Majority of GT students don't know GT has a football team. I can't tell you how many times we have students ask us why we are in the RV lot during the season. Maybe they just don't know what football is? GT does not seem to really care. It would be super easy to fill the stadium. Thats my observation. Not much effort... 55k stadium in Atlanta. Should be a no brainer. Marketing... You have to promote something IF its important.

The Majority of GT students don't know GT has a football team. I can't tell you how many times we have students ask us why we are in the RV lot during the season. Maybe they just don't know what football is? GT does not seem to really care. It would be super easy to fill the stadium. Thats my observation. Not much effort... 55k stadium in Atlanta. Should be a no brainer. Marketing... You have to promote something IF its important.
WOW. I am stunned at what you say about the current GT students. It sure wasn't like that in the past. Sadly, although the non-frat types who do know and care generally get to most of the games, and get there early. It's the frats and I assume sororities who one would think do know and care that really let the team down from week to week either by not showing up at all or not showing up till at least mid-way the first quarter. But you are right in saying that it's a matter of marketing, and Tech has done a really s****y job of that the past 50 years. It's almost like those who should be doing the marketing for the football team don't know or care either. SAD !!!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
GT doesn’t embrace their surroundings. They should be marketing to all the schools, YMCA’s, youth leagues, and community organizations in the area to fill the stadium with kids.
It’s free.
No radio other than 680?
The FM dial is a great way to let people know of the spring game. V-103 (or something) and the likes could do a remote.
Country music artist or Hip Hop or both performances.
Live DJ

Give a hard working student a reason to be there on a Friday night.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
WOW. I am stunned at what you say about the current GT students. It sure wasn't like that in the past. Sadly, although the non-frat types who do know and care generally get to most of the games, and get there early. It's the frats and I assume sororities who one would think do know and care that really let the team down from week to week either by not showing up at all or not showing up till at least mid-way the first quarter. But you are right in saying that it's a matter of marketing, and Tech has done a really s****y job of that the past 50 years. It's almost like those who should be doing the marketing for the football team don't know or care either. SAD !!!

In the old days, games started at 1:00pm. If you were in a fraternity, that gave you time to wake up, shake the cobwebs out, get dressed, have lunch and a couple of brews before heading to the stadium. Noon games mess up teenage timing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Bring back flash cards, block seating for frats and nonfrats to the lower east. That’s how it was when I was in school.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Got to add some buzz at bds that the new tech students will like. What?

I had an English class at Tech in the early 70s that met one night per week at Manuel’s Tavern just off campus. There was no absenteeism. Was that because we drank beer or because we discussed the sci-if course literature or because attendance was mandatory? We’ll never know, but, maybe The Hill should just require attendance as part of a mandatory, 1-credit hour, pass-fail, self-study fall requirement into the Phenomenon of Collegiate Football each fall. It would beat a lot of course descriptions on a lot of campuses and could foster some campus cohesion. We could be cheering, “Go, Jackets!” in 50 languages!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I had an English class at Tech in the early 70s that met one night per week at Manuel’s Tavern just off campus. There was no absenteeism. Was that because we drank beer or because we discussed the sci-if course literature or because attendance was mandatory? We’ll never know, but, maybe The Hill should just require attendance as part of a mandatory, 1-credit hour, pass-fail, self-study fall requirement into the Phenomenon of Collegiate Football each fall. It would beat a lot of course descriptions on a lot of campuses and could foster some campus cohesion. We could be cheering, “Go, Jackets!” in 50 languages!

I took that class in 82 in PJ Haley's pub.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They filled it for soccer. They spent a *** load of money on advertising and it paid off. With the attention span of most , you have to advertise and promote. People ***** about UGA but they spend millions of dollars on the brand. Those tv shows and getting all the press is not inexpensive.

To be fair, I don't think it's surprising they filled it for soccer. To the average American sports fan it's probably surprising bc the average American sports fan doesn't care about soccer , but Atlanta has a massive international community. I mean Mexico vs Nigeria sold out the Dome several years ago.

That being said the problem in filling our stands involves picking up a ton of sidewalk fans when most are already UGA fans or Big 10 fans since a large number of alumni live here. NFL fans who are transplants will go to games even if their team isn't playing but a lot of college fans only go games in which there team is playing. We definitely need something to pull in the casual sidewalk fan due to a smaller student population and local alumni base.