Spring Practice

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sure that looked good, but remember there was no defense barrelling down on them.
You have to walk before you can run. There’s a lot that can be accomplished in shells and no D and these things are imperative to master if you ever hope to be successful in real games. That whole sequence looks very simple to the casual observer, we all know that is far from true.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
You have to walk before you can run. There’s a lot that can be accomplished in shells and no D and these things are imperative to master if you ever hope to be successful in real games. That whole sequence looks very simple to the casual observer, we all know that is far from true.
That's fine, but I'm not sure I see the value in doing it in super slow motion. You pitch the ball that slowly in a game, the defense is going to take it the other way for 6

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's fine, but I'm not sure I see the value in doing it in super slow motion. You pitch the ball that slowly in a game, the defense is going to take it the other way for 6
We’re not seeing real-time speed in that clip. But to your point, there is much value in slowing things down in the teaching phase, especially in such a complex relationship of moving parts. Last year, timing, spacing, footwork, angles were hit and miss at best, and all of that is before you even get to the reads and exchanges.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
We’re not seeing real-time speed in that clip. But to your point, there is much value in slowing things down in the teaching phase, especially in such a complex relationship of moving parts. Last year, timing, spacing, footwork, angles were hit and miss at best, and all of that is before you even get to the reads and exchanges.

This is spot on. I work as a trainer and skill is best developed by initially slowing things down and breaking them into small chunks and then attending closely to any errors. Then through repetition you speed up until that “chunk” is mastered. For example a musician doesn’t start practice on a new song by trying to make it through the whole song at full speed. Once the individual skills are mastered you put them together. This is why getting technique and fundamentals down first is so important. Otherwise you are building on a poor foundation.

No doubt about that, but there are people drooling over how smooth it looked in that clip, and there's no comparison between that and a real game situation.