Spring Practice

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The season hasn't even started and already we got no depth at OL.......smh....
I have said it before, and it bears repeating......we must find a way to consistently have 2 QUALITY deep ( with all having different names ) on the OL. Otherwise , its 2017 all over again.

When have we ever successfully met your desire? Are you referring to the good old single platoon football days?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying there are some guys who are too nice to play defense? Honest question, I'm not sure what exactly you are saying.
I think it is a reasonable question, particularly in the trenches where every single play is physical attack/defend. Try to watch that only for a few plays and realize what those guys go through every single down/ The Dbacks and linebackers not so much at all. I think one has to be competitively mean and want to hit somebody. Betcha coaches would single it out.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Not style of play doesn’t correlate to the physical, attacking style of defense CNW wants to play
That matches with CNW's comments in the video a few days ago where he said to - do something on this play so you can talk trash after the play is over-.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
When have we ever successfully met your desire? Are you referring to the good old single platoon football days?
Rarely since CPJ has been here. The OL position in this offense is particularly hard physically, IMO. We have had a few years where , due to lack of injuries , defections etc. , we have had marginally better consistent play, but we always seem to be " young " , or "thin " , or "dinged up" . We approach every year saying this will be the year where we finally have some OL depth , then by the time we hit the meat of our schedule we have "issues ".
It is the MOST difficult position to recruit for our offense , and the most critical one to it's success.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Rarely since CPJ has been here. The OL position in this offense is particularly hard physically, IMO. We have had a few years where , due to lack of injuries , defections etc. , we have had marginally better consistent play, but we always seem to be " young " , or "thin " , or "dinged up" . We approach every year saying this will be the year where we finally have some OL depth , then by the time we hit the meat of our schedule we have "issues ".
It is the MOST difficult position to recruit for our offense , and the most critical one to it's success.
Most of the “issues” we run into are future All-Pro DL’s.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Most of the “issues” we run into are future All-Pro DL’s.
I watched several minutes of the Clemson spring game on ESPN. They just kept running out increasingly bigger QBs and defensive tackles and ends. We're gonna compete with them, but not with horsepower. Can't wait to get reports on our spring game, just to try to make some off the wall comparison.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I watched several minutes of the Clemson spring game on ESPN. They just kept running out increasingly bigger QBs and defensive tackles and ends. We're gonna compete with them, but not with horsepower. Can't wait to get reports on our spring game, just to try to make some off the wall comparison.
I just watched the highlights. HUNTER RENFROW IS STILLLL THERE?! He’s been there for like 9 years

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched a small portion of our offense vs Uga last season. There were several plays that could have broken big if not for just one mistake by one guy. A bad angle here, an indeciveness there, a missed block here, a poor spacing there, etc, etc, etc.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I just watched the highlights. HUNTER RENFROW IS STILLLL THERE?! He’s been there for like 9 years
Apparently walked on as a freshman. Too bad he is reportedly a tee-totaler because he'd never have to buy again around Clemson. As it is his major is supposed to be accounting so he will get some clients, you think?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I rewatched a small portion of our offense vs Uga last season. There were several plays that could have broken big if not for just one mistake by one guy. A bad angle here, an indeciveness there, a missed block here, a poor spacing there, etc, etc, etc.
Is it possible that the nature of our offense is such that, more than most, it is susceptible to a total play collapse set off by a minor mistake somewhere down the chain? I have wondered about that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I’ve been following Tech since the 70s. I’ve never seen us have a string 2 deep along either the Oline or Dline. We have had some fine lines for both which were very successful in different years. But none have had strong 2 deep talent / experience. We just got lucky with strong starters and lack of injuries.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

I admire you willingness to watch that game again. I think I would prefer a root canal.