Spring Practice

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It was like a 4.6 or something. I saw Giff Smith time him and he ran a 4.6 with an absolutely horrible get-off. That's why 40-times don't often tell the story of how fast a guy really is - if a guy trains specifically for running a 40 with the start and everything (plus it depends on the surface, weather, etc) it will be way different even though his football speed is still the same. Not to mention, Bay Bay might've gotten faster as he developed physically.
I always wondered why you don't time with pads uniforms in their football stance

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually I want to see him lay some cornerbacks out. Once the cornerbacks are worried about getting the crap knocked out of them it will be easier to get separation by faking a block.
I think this guy could clean the clock of a cheating safety like smelter used to do. No I m going low on a crack back block!
This year I am pretty pumped about WR position . Yea we have Brad who is improving and rest are unknown. But sitting near home sideline , I keep saying we are getting more athletic looking players on the team. The WR are pretty darn big. Could be good for a while. One guy is at least 6'4-5".

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It was like a 4.6 or something. I saw Giff Smith time him and he ran a 4.6 with an absolutely horrible get-off. That's why 40-times don't often tell the story of how fast a guy really is - if a guy trains specifically for running a 40 with the start and everything (plus it depends on the surface, weather, etc) it will be way different even though his football speed is still the same. Not to mention, Bay Bay might've gotten faster as he developed physically.
Yes. I said this in another post. People assume that speed can't be coached. That is so not true. You can train to be faster, if it is really necessary. I'd say that anybody who runs a forty under 4.6 is probably already fast enough for most purposes. Mind, if you can train yourself up to go a bit faster, nobody will complain. Still, as Vamos says, there's football speed and track speed. There's a relationship, but it isn't one-to-one. Further, you often don't want the players who are really fast (Cottrell comes to mind) to really turn the burners on until it'll make sense to do so. If Nathan was going full speed from the first step, he'd be outrunning the pitch on every play.

My favorite example of this is Ben Vaughn. Vaughn had been a track star in high school, running the hundred at about 10.6. Then he came to Tech and Buddy Fowlkes saw himself. He took Ben in hand and made him an Olympic athlete running the 100 meters at 10.3 (trucking for those days). He was on the Munich team with Charlie Green and Willie Davenport, two not too slouchy sprinters. Btw, I think Buddy still holds the over-60 record for the 100 at 10.5. Again, trucking.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I didn't realized we burned this guys shirt in 16. He got 0 passes that year.
In 17 as a soph after impressive spring, he got 1 pass.

Here we are again at
"2018 Its Time!"
I don’t know how many passes he had last year but I know it was more than 1. Maybe just 1 catch?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Did someone ask if Bruce Swilling is working mostly with the 2’s? Seems fishy to me, let the speculation begin lol.

I wouldn't read to much into linebacker depth right now. It might be that BJS and Mitchell are both training that "caller" position so that they have someone that can call the line stunts and shifts no matter what right now. when they get to play they both end up on the field.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I had a feeling BJS would move inside. He probably would play outside normally, but given the LBs we have right now, BJS helps us more inside. This might be CNW's most talented ILB he's had. It's going to be fun to watch CNW work with more talented players.

Man, I'm pretty excited to see our defense attack from all angles. No gap is safe from a defender flying in.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Article just posted to AJC.

BJS is running with the 1's at ILB (along with Brant), and Jaquan is running with the 1's at OLB (along with Vicious).

34599AE7-1CE8-4612-970A-7FE8F540B1A6.jpeg