Spring Practice

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I never wish for a player's injury, including the hated dawgs. Remember these are still kids out there.

Good point. No matter how much I dislike the player or the team I will never wish that any players experience a horrible injury. Therefore I just want them to get horribly sick right before they play us. ;)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
PJ rarely throws laurels at his incumbent qb. The one exception might have been Tracy Ham. Because Tracy was a bad, bad man.
Now, he will defend his qb too. I remember him saying on the radio show that the qb ain't the problem, when the qb was Vad Lee.
He was tough on Greg Hill, and Hill took PJ's teams to back to back national championship games. But you ask him about Hill now and he'll say how good he was.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The vic interview at the presser more than validated all our thoughts of the read and react standback crap our team was asked to do for years.

The past d style and concepts simply dont work here.

All the things I am hearing from the players, Woody concepts just like tenutas keys. Dl has 1 maybe two things to do. Olb. Sometimes only one thing. The scheme takes care of the rest. You do your part, read your key (sometimes its based on formation sometimes on the attack of the play) and GO. This is what works at tech. Its what works for smaller teams. You need to take more calculated risks and play faster to get off the field.

EXCITED

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Now surge mentioned at nt.

I worry the Brandon Adams ship may be leaving the harbor.

I'm sure Adams will get playing time, but despite looking like a mental image of "Nose Tackle", he's not the prototype for this particular 3-4 defense. Now...Woody will use the strengths of the players he has and I'm sure leverage his size at NT to play 2-gap responsibility from time to time, but instead of collapsing the defense and holding the line, he's really looking for someone at NT that can disrupt and penetrate. A penetrating NT still garners a lot of double teams. We heard a lot about the importance of that to Groh. It's still really important, but if there's no double team that's OK too as long as the NT is being disruptive. Fast pressure up the gut is really hard to deal with and opens up opportunities for our other guys to make something aggressive happen. Usually Woody is gonna have the NT line up in 0-technique (directly over center) but still play 1-gap and try to penetrate instead of directly engage the center. There are lots of ways to beat your guy one-on-one, but agility is often at a premium. It's a tough assignment for a center to take on as they have to snap the ball and will not have the same time to observe and react to the NT. Double-teams are at a disadvantage against a 1-gap 0-technique because you don't know which side our guy is going to try and penetrate.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
The vic interview at the presser more than validated all our thoughts of the read and react standback crap our team was asked to do for years.

The past d style and concepts simply dont work here.

All the things I am hearing from the players, Woody concepts just like tenutas keys. Dl has 1 maybe two things to do. Olb. Sometimes only one thing. The scheme takes care of the rest. You do your part, read your key (sometimes its based on formation sometimes on the attack of the play) and GO. This is what works at tech. Its what works for smaller teams. You need to take more calculated risks and play faster to get off the field.

EXCITED
Makes sense to me. I guess that the proof will be in the pudding so to speak. However, I would caution on passing judgement on Coach Woody until he has had at least two years. We have given that much and more to previous coordinators. Come to think of it, I have no idea how long the tenure was for defensive coordinators in the Johnson era. Seems like Al may have been the shortest but may be not. I am pretty sure Coach Roof had the longest tenure. I hope that we did not get rid of him just as things were starting to look up but I have come around to the realization that something had to be done. Watching bubble screens destroy your defense will do that.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
no offensive consistency? Glad we still have til fall to look for improvement
It really is hard to tell how good you are going to be until you play someone other than yourself. Pretty sure CPJ has made similar comments in every spring practice. The comments before the 2014 season were pretty brutal. The one part that worries me is the missed assignments. Gotta clean those up or we will be in trouble.