Spring Practice

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I thought the exact same thing. Some of the best interviews (most encouraging) I've seen in a loooong time. Also good to hear D. Curry's name thrown in there.
Curry - in 15.made a really good tackle behind line where he shot the gap. Came to sideline and got lots of high 5 s .
AFTER that game i guess he learned to stay in position and be sure that the play is contained . Plus he got hurt.

We could be very surprised by which lb or safety really fits in Woody s system.
Don't count out the backups! Read and go beats slow and strong in this defense.
Like whisky said i would like to have seen TD roof give this a go.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Well, it does look like we're installing a rush (Jack) and cover (Stinger) OLBs rather than just Left and Right. It's interesting that Christian spoke of Stinger as third safety position, like a nickel.

lots of teams have that as a ROVER position,a hybrid LB/S--a 210 lb guy that can move really well and tackle -see FR Charlie Thomas

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
lots of teams have that as a ROVER position,a hybrid LB/S--a 210 lb guy that can move really well and tackle -see FR Charlie Thomas

Exactly.

From earlier in this thread talking about his weight:

One of the starting OLB's at App St and the #8 tackler was 208 and a FR OLB who played every game was 195.

I suspect that they have one OLB who is more of a rush back and the other is more of a nickel.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading him saying that it depends on personnell, but he'd prefer to just have a ROLB and a LOLB, but if he can't get guys well rounded enough, he could play with a SOLB and a WOLB.

I wasn't assuming anything. I was just providing data.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Exactly.

From earlier in this thread talking about his weight:
Funnily enough, I was thinking about this just yesterday and I went back and checked, and he was actually talking about corners. He was talking about how he could play a boundary corner and a field corner but if he had good enough players he would rather just have left and right.

My memory is getting faulty in my old age :)