Spring Practice

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
It really is hard to tell how good you are going to be until you play someone other than yourself. Pretty sure CPJ has made similar comments in every spring practice. The comments before the 2014 season were pretty brutal. The one part that worries me is the missed assignments. Gotta clean those up or we will be in trouble.
Absolutely. I’m not sure I can handle another year of bad offensive production lol or lack of. But I’m optimistic

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Now Branch and Coach Johnson have both mentioned Chris Martin as a guy who has caught their eye.
Yes, and I'm not surprised. When Martin came on board I as impressed by his film, though, given DL responsibilities under Roof, I could see why they wanted him to take a year to beef up. From his HS film, he looks better suited to the new D then the old one. But we'll have to wait and see. As usual.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Details: Overnight rain cleared out just in time for Saturday's 9 a.m. scrimmage at Bobby Dodd Stadium. The scrimmage included 15 series and 97 plays.

The Yellow Jackets' offense put together three scoring drives -- two 70-yard touchdown drives (10 and 15 plays) and an 11-play, 53-yard drive that resulted in a 36-yard field goal. The Jackets' offense also drove to the four yard line on one possession but came away without any points, thanks to a slip on second-and-goal and a sack on fourth-and-goal. There were no turnovers in the 15 possessions.

Defensively, the Yellow Jackets forced five three-and-outs and recorded 20 negative plays. By comparison, Tech's defense tallied just 47 negative plays in 706 defensive snaps last season.

Plays of the Day: Offensively, senior quarterback TaQuon Marshall and junior wide receiver Jalen Camp hooked up for three big plays -- a 21-yard gain on a screen pass to convert a third-and-12, a 40-yard pickup on a jump ball that Camp when high over a defender to haul in and a beautiful 20-yard touchdown toss down the left sideline. Junior A-back Nathan Cottrell scored the Jackets' other touchdown on a two-yard run and sophomore Brenton King was perfect on his only field-goal attempt from 36 yards out.

Defensively, sophomore Jaquan Henderson and true freshman Quez Jackson teamed up for a sack on fourth-and-goal from the four yard line that ended a scoring threat for the offense. The sack was one of Henderson's four tackles for loss from the outside linebacker position. Defensive linemen Brandon Adams (Jr.), Desmond Branch (Sr.) and Kelton Dawson (r-Fr.) were also in on multiple stops behind the line of scrimmage. However, the biggest reaction of the day came when sophomore defensive back Ajani Kerr leveled a ball-carrier with a clean form tackle after a short gain on a swing pass out of the backfield.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Maybe he’s just trying to push some guys, but I’m getting a little tired of our O line “not being any good.” Seems like this narrative comes up every year from CPJ...even after 2014 he said they weren’t as good as we made them out to be and that they only looked good because they had good backs running behind them.

Holy crap man, the coaches recruit, train, and coach these dudes and every year they aren’t very good? Seems like there might be some systematic problem...

Hopefully he’s just pushing them and they’re fine.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he’s just trying to push some guys, but I’m getting a little tired of our O line “not being any good.” Seems like this narrative comes up every year from CPJ...even after 2014 he said they weren’t as good as we made them out to be and that they only looked good because they had good backs running behind them.

Holy crap man, the coaches recruit, train, and coach these dudes and every year they aren’t very good? Seems like there might be some systematic problem...

Hopefully he’s just pushing them and they’re fine.

Where in that interview did he say that the O-Line "not being any good"? He said that they weren't very good today in the scrimmage. To me those two things are very different. In 2015, he said that the 2014 O-Line wasn't as good as made out in the media and that the 2015 O-Line wasn't as bad as made out in the media. I don't remember him every saying that the 2014 or 2015 O-Line wasn't any good. He consistently says that the media makes everything bigger than it is: strengths, weaknesses, differences between teams, differences between players, etc. What I understood from him in 2015 was that the 2014 line wasn't an NFL level squad and that the 2015 line wasn't a high school level squad. That was basically the media narrative about them.

He did say that the squad TO is playing on isn't very good, but he is probably playing the the third team squad right now. I wouldn't expect them to be as good at the offense as the first team squad.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
To add to the discussion of OLine

https://247sports.com/college/south...ood-athletes-for-his-offensive-line-117106754

“There’s a growing concern among us O-line coaches, people in general and in the NFL all the time (about) the lack of quality offensive linemen and being able to develop them,” Wolford said. “That’s a big thing that I try to work on is developing players. You have to continue to find athletes who can move their feet, want to compete and find a way to get the job done. That’s what we’re all constantly searching for.”

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
To add to the discussion of OLine

https://247sports.com/college/south...ood-athletes-for-his-offensive-line-117106754

“There’s a growing concern among us O-line coaches, people in general and in the NFL all the time (about) the lack of quality offensive linemen and being able to develop them,” Wolford said. “That’s a big thing that I try to work on is developing players. You have to continue to find athletes who can move their feet, want to compete and find a way to get the job done. That’s what we’re all constantly searching for.”
I used to hear the same thing back in the '60s. The main thing here is that most DLs have a simple assignment: get up field and cause trouble. OLs, oth, have to make the right blocks at the right time and the right place. That's hard in any O, but it is especially hard in Tech's. It doesn't help that the blocking assignments change almost from play to play, even if the same play is called. It isn't quite that bad in the pros, but the advantages the DLs have continue. I think this is one reason both the NFL and the NCAA decided to quit calling holding (which is what they decided to do). That makes the blocks a bit easier to make. But only a bit. And when you are actually, you know, hitting people, like Tech does, the need to know what you are doing and when is even greater.

I have great respect for our OLs. I couldn't have mastered the same craft in high school when I was young. Let's hope that the experience they have gained is not cancelled by injury as it was to a great extent last year. If we can keep the same line on the field for most of the season , we will succeed.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind the defense probably knows the offensive calls and plays. Spring isn’t really about trying to call the right play to take advantage of what the D is doing. It is about getting the reps and playing your assignments.

The D should be ahead of the O at this point except for spots where guys have a lot of experience and reps already.