Spring Practice

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 3445 r.c
The last thing i want is for TM qb to get better at cutting up field instead of pitching. Please run at the DE and then pitch!
Do not cut up field into 4 college football players!
I agree he need to get better at forcing the pitch key to commit, I think that's what you're saying. However, it's hard to tell from your screen cap what was going on, a vid would be better. Also, the pitch relationship is a little off, the Aback is too far from the qb, it may be too risky or TM doesn't feel comfortable making such a long pitch. When it doubt, they are told to keep and get what you can and live to play another down.

All that said, this kind of thing is tons better in the second year. We return nearly the entire first string O and get another experienced OL back from injury. Reps and familiarity cures almost all ills with the option. Similarly, lack of it causes a lot of problems, too.

I noticed something else out of wack in that pic. The two downfield playside blockers are in horrible position to make key blocks. One guy is about to block a guy in the back and the other guy is ignoring the safety.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree he need to get better at forcing the pitch key to commit, I think that's what you're saying. However, it's hard to tell from your screen cap what was going on, a vid would be better. Also, the pitch relationship is a little off, the Aback is too far from the qb, it may be too risky or TM doesn't feel comfortable making such a long pitch. When it doubt, they are told to keep and get what you can and live to play another down.

All that said, this kind of thing is tons better in the second year. We return nearly the entire first string O and get another experienced OL back from injury. Reps and familiarity cures almost all ills with the option. Similarly, lack of it causes a lot of problems, too.

I noticed something else out of wack in that pic. The two downfield playside blockers are in horrible position to make key blocks. One guy is about to block a guy in the back and the other guy is ignoring the safety.
Another problem in that picture is that there are six defenders on the play side but only four offensive players. It still looks like they will make two to four yards on the play.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he cares much at all for the spring game. He would rather have practice time than "showcase" time. He addressed the QBs wearing non contact jerseys in the first spring practice press conference. If you really are interested, you should listen to that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks. Didn't see it addressed anywhere, but the man himself did. As you can tell, I don't watch all these videos...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Most would think the same about was NT at App state but he did pretty well from my understanding. If amour adds 10 pounds I think he will be fine.
Smaller guys with strength, quicks, and football instincts/skills can play competitively but they require appropriate rotation to keep them fresh.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Also remember that this defense is built on penetration and disruption. It is much more physically exhausting to try to hold a specific piece of ground than it is to try to get around them...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
If he intends on being that smallish consistently then if I’m Chaney I’m lining up my athletic 350lbs guard and say run them over. We’ll be watching a GT Defense get trucked up and down the field.

I coached a lot of teams without a large number of good big players. Often the smaller player was much better than the bigger one. So I played the smaller one and rotated him to keep him healthy and fresh. If we had appropriate numbers (Clem or UGA) of really good big guys I could accept your argument. I say practice them and play the best (and rotate appropriately) and let the size not be that much of a selection factor.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I don't give a pass to ol scheme above but turning up into 4 players has to be due to lack of field awareness.

So here's another play where qb cuts up way early.
(In this game qb ran 20 and bb 21 and ab 6. Qb was 3 of 13 w 1 int. Next gamec2 of 9 passes w 1 int).

IMO
His ability to read the plays (pitch and pass ) has not been proven in 17).

20180211_215101.jpg

Here he pitches behind ( crazy ol blocking scheme - shamire is still in same place 3 seconds snap.
2018 IT'S TIME.
SEWAK OR BUST.

20171231_212907.jpg

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I was a big Jay Jones guy, but I think TQM can be good if not great with either an improvement in the pitch phase or some better vision in the pass game. A lot of his picks were either unforced or just plain bad ideas; if he can swap a few of those for check-downs to the As then we can be pretty hard to stop. He has wiggle and toughness that cannot be learned.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I will say that Alexander, Mitchell, Swilling, and Henderson is a pretty interesting linebacking Corps
That’s exactly who I think will be starting at LB. with Saint-Amour, Adams, and Branch on the DL, maybe Glanton over Adams at NT. Gray and Campbell at safety. Bold prediction here, Swilling and Askew at CB.

Carpenter, Simmons, Kerr, Bonds, Oliver, Johnson, Cerge-Henderson, Owens, and Dawson are the guys I think could get good playing time coming off the bench.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That’s exactly who I think will be starting at LB. with Saint-Amour, Adams, and Branch on the DL, maybe Glanton over Adams at NT. Gray and Campbell at safety. Bold prediction here, Swilling and Askew at CB.

Carpenter, Simmons, Kerr, Bonds, Oliver, Johnson, Cerge-Henderson, Owens, and Dawson are the guys I think could get good playing time coming off the bench.
I wouldn’t be shocked to see CergeH starting.