Spring Practice

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Woodys defenses are not simple at all. They rely on disguise and half field schemes and are hard to read. But that doesn’t mean the assignments are hard. You can do things to help the player while looking different to the O . The scheme woody runs leave it the hell alone.

What paul is saying is in context of this phase of spring and the install and he is right. Get your 2-3 basics in and slowly build. Get that right, play fast and woody will install the fun stuff imo in fall

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Woodys defenses are not simple at all. They rely on disguise and half field schemes and are hard to read. But that doesn’t mean the assignments are hard. You can do things to help the player while looking different to the O . The scheme woody runs leave it the hell alone.

What paul is saying is in context of this phase of spring and the install and he is right. Get your 2-3 basics in and slowly build. Get that right, play fast and woody will install the fun stuff imo in fall
Exactly

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Wiley Ballard... if that's not a classic radio man's name, I don't know what is.
I think you are thinking of Wally Ballou, the iconic newsman of the comedy team Bob and Ray. I loved those guys. My favorite was an interview with a NASA engineer who was responsible for the "runged egress assembly" that was being done for the lunar lander at a cost of $150,000 a piece. Bob's engineering gobbledegook was matchless until Wally looks at the mockup and says, "So you designed the ladder?" Bob: "Well, yes. That's what laymen call it."

I really miss those guys.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

I think it more speaks to versatility and disguise than complexity per se. Individually, players may be given very clear expectations on what they are supposed to do on a given play, and those expectations can be fairly narrow. However, those assignments could be very hard for the opposing offense to read, and the scheme could mix up how players are used and which players are covering which assignments on each play. The assignments themselves may be simple but the defense seems complicated since the offense has to prepare for and diagnose those assignments on the fly. Contrast this to a scheme where it is 2-gap on the line with the intention of freeing up LBs to read and react. Well, not only is that a lot of pressure on the DL to hold to their assignments, the LB will have to do a lot of work on the play looking for what develops and then stepping up to the task. With only 3 LB, they have to cover even more of the field putting more pressure on them to read the play and missed assignments on the line quickly. And have to sniff out screens, pulling linemen, throws to the flats, etc. What may be schematically simpler can be much more complex for any individual to execute. Ultimately any defense relies on execution and communication. None really is necessarily better than another. But I think we should go with the one where we can pick up and execute the best without making it easy on the opposing O to know what we're intending to do. I suspect CNW's scheme to be much better for that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
From Saturday's 96 play 11v11:
Play of the Day: Although there were 96 plays of 11-on-11 work, there were few big plays on either side of the ball. The offense gained 15 yards or more just three times, with the longest play being a 23-yard run by junior B-back KirVonte Benson.​
Our #1 offense may not have played much, but they played. I don't remember hearing a previous D do this in a practice.