Spring Practice

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think he finally has a DC who is on the same page that he is.

Let's wait until the end of the year. First week they've actually worked together.

CPJ was pretty upbeat about every one of his (FOUR) DCs at first. Hopefully CNW will have CPJ upbeat about our defense at the end of the year as well. One thing about CPJ, his coaches know where they stand with him.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Let's wait until the end of the year. First week they've actually worked together.

CPJ was pretty upbeat about every one of his (FOUR) DCs at first. Hopefully CNW will have CPJ upbeat about our defense at the end of the year as well. One thing about CPJ, his coaches know where they stand with him.
The difference is, not all the DC’s where his first choice if I’m understanding correctly.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The difference is, not all the DC’s where his first choice if I’m understanding correctly.

Wommack supposedly was not his first choice, but in the end, it's not like Wommack was forced on CPJ. There were other choices.

Al Groh was hand picked by CPJ. Groh came for a "visit" during bowl practice while Wommack was still the active DC under the guise of "learning more about the offense..." OK...

Not sure about Roof. I've heard that a lot of influential guys were pushing for CPJ to bring him back to GT. Not sure how true that is.

Like I said...we'll see at the end of the year.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
On Thomas to OLB:

One of my favorite Tech players of all time was Mackel Harris, all 6' 190lbs of him. He played inside linebacker and was quite successful at it. Why, you might well ask? Wasn't he pushed around by the OLs?

Well, he would have been if they could catch him. Because the one thing I left out above is that Mackel ran the 40 in 4.45. Needless to say, he had no problem with pass coverage. The keen thing, however, would be to watch him take a long outside loop around opposing OLs then close in on the runner from behind to hold them to a short gain or a lose. He was so fast it was breathtaking.

Maybe Thomas will be the same kind of player for us. We could use someone like that these days.

Makel Harris a two time, I think, all state player from Americus. State 100 yard champion his senior year. My favorite memory of him was on special teams when an opposing kick returner appeared to have a lane for a kick return TD and Makel caught him from behind running from the opposite side of the field. Amazing football player.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I'm reminded of someone (maybe Spurrier?) saying something similar about running aggressive, blitz heavy defenses. They are either going to score quickly or you're going to get the ball back quickly.
That sounds like something he would say. Coach Spurrier used to get upset with his defensive coordinators when the Gators played Kentucky and Hal Mumme had that short passing game with crossing patterns and little out patterns all over the place and would hog the ball moving between the 20s but not scoring. The Head Ball Coach wanted to call the plays not his opposite number.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Coach seems super excited about our how promising our kicking game looks o_O

It's early, of course, but holy crap man...if our kick game looks like it did in 2017 then none of this other crap really even matters...we will struggle to get to 6-7 wins. You aren't going to win 9+ games very often if you're that bad in the kicking game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Coach seems super excited about our how promising our kicking game looks o_O

It's early, of course, but holy crap man...if our kick game looks like it did in 2017 then none of this other crap really even matters...we will struggle to get to 6-7 wins. You aren't going to win 9+ games very often if you're that bad in the kicking game.
Shawn Davis is out for spring.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Over at Rambling Wrek they seem to have added more pictures from the controlled scrimmage. Lots of pictures of qb pitching and passing as well as Ab making runs. The only out of sorts picture is Will Bryan landing head first on turf . He had just blocked a lb or db (45) to ground so pass could be completed. Seems to be at tackle but was at rg during week (per video). i guess he is showing he can block where ever he is.
Also athletic picture of the left tackle 53 pulling around right end.

I really hope we get to start the season with all experienced upper class men on the ol. With Marshall at rt and Will Bryan at rg with the left side we could start fast and get some quality minutes for the other guys. We need to show our best ol against Clemson .