Spring Practice

GT_EE78

Banned
Marco Coleman played a similar position as Pat Swilling...QB nightmare.

We sure could use another Pat Swilling / Marco Coleman / Greg Gathers type player.
that would be nice. I think bama runs a pretty good 3-4 and if you look at their roster most of the backup DL's are 300 to 320 lbs.
maybe coach woody could borrow some of those spare 300 lb OL's if he has difficulty beefing up this year?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Having all these “hybrid” players like Charlie will make for one versatile defense. Teams won’t know what’s coming.

Or, to play devils advocate....they will just run power plays right at us where we are light in the pants and blow us back.

There is give and take in everything. Go light and fast and give up mass and power. Go heavy and lose mobility. The coaches have to find the right mix / balance and adjust to other teams strengths and weaknesses.

Talent trumps schemes unless there is a big problem with a scheme. Which is what many feel we dealt with regarding Roof.

Conversely, scheme advantages can’t overcome huge disparities in talent. Which is why bama and Clemson play at consistently high levels on that side of the ball.

There are no magic wands to be waved in football.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Or, to play devils advocate....they will just run power plays right at us where we are light in the pants and blow us back.

There is give and take in everything. Go light and fast and give up mass and power. Go heavy and lose mobility. The coaches have to find the right mix / balance and adjust to other teams strengths and weaknesses.

Talent trumps schemes unless there is a big problem with a scheme. Which is what many feel we dealt with regarding Roof.

Conversely, scheme advantages can’t overcome huge disparities in talent. Which is why bama and Clemson play at consistently high levels on that side of the ball.

There are no magic wands to be waved in football.

I was considering writing a big long post this morning about Georgia Tech football and UVA basketball and making the other guy beat you left handed and how some guys are left-handed and are going to beat you.

I decided against it because I'm a lazy, but as it relates to this, relatively few teams these days have a game plan of line up and punch you in the mouth and see if you can take it.

If our defense gets other team's offense trying to do what they don't normally like to do, I consider it a win, because I think they're going to be worse at doing something they're not used to doing than we are at countering what they try to do to us.

Yeah, if we play a team like Alabama or LSUL or Michigan, they're absolutely going to destroy us because their whole thing is to line up and punch you in the mouth. They're Lefty's, so forcing them to fight left handed plays right into their strength.

As in boxing though, there are way more righties out there.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
To add on, who in the ACC tries to just line up and kick your ***?

BC? NC State?

Frankly you guys don't have a ton of teams on the schedule that are going to be comfortable doing that.

Now, unfortunately, the last team on the schedule is pretty good at it, but as they played in the national championship game, Tech wasn't the only team that had a problem slowing them down.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
To add on, who in the ACC tries to just line up and kick your ***?

BC? NC State?

Frankly you guys don't have a ton of teams on the schedule that are going to be comfortable doing that.

Now, unfortunately, the last team on the schedule is pretty good at it, but as they played in the national championship game, Tech wasn't the only team that had a problem slowing them down.

Uga was legit last year. And will be good again. But I’ll be surprised if they approach what they did last year with all of their personnel losses.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe Ap State actually had some legit talent on hand.

Maybe, but not according to their recruiting ratings (if one puts much stock in that sort of thing). They did give up more rushing yards to uga and WF last year than us, but fewer points to both teams than us.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, but not according to their recruiting ratings (if one puts much stock in that sort of thing). They did give up more rushing yards to uga and WF last year than us, but fewer points to both teams than us.

They faced one more rushing play vs georgie and gave up fewer yds/carry.

Against WF they allowed 4.2 ypc while we allowed 3.55.

But, yeah, they allowed fewer points against each.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Coach seemed very upbeat at this presser. He gave thoughtful answers to most of the questions. But you better have a specific question, if you come with a short general question, you’ll get a short general answer. I got a feeling he’s excited about the changes on defense.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach seemed very upbeat at this presser. He gave thoughtful answers to most of the questions. But you better have a specific question, if you come with a short general question, you’ll get a short general answer. I got a feeling he’s excited about the changes on defense.
I think he finally has a DC who is on the same page that he is.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think he finally has a DC who is on the same page that he is.

Yeah that would be a really good sign. Even if the defensive scheme really isn't better, attitude and alignment do wonders for an organization. CPJ wants a DC that will lead but he needs to have confidence in them.