Spring Practice Who to watch for?

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not much of a follower of recruiting and stars and whatnot, and wonder about film posted by a player or his coach meant for recruiters to see. So can anybody shed some light on why a kid who hasn't played a snap or even served on the scout team should be able to play as a true freshman? And is it correct he went to a private school? (I have some of the same questions about Alexander's film. An awful lot of him lining up in a gap and bursting into the backfield unblocked; not so much shedding blockers or sliding down the LOS. Not to say he didn't or couldn't. Just wonder about it. But I am not a scout and if the coaches vote yes, I'm all in.)

Q went to Pace, so yes a private school.

The reason at least one of our true freshmen will likely play at BB is because we have next to no depth there. That's a big reason why many are in favor of moving Byerly to BB. So most of it is out of necessity. I don't think Q would end up being the guy who plays there though, though he will have the leg up in terms of number of practices. Since we have so few BBs he will get a lot of reps in spring. Ultimately though, I think Marshall or Lands-Davis beat him out. Obviously big assumptions, but they seem to be stronger and faster, and had better offer sheets - particularly MLD.

He won't get PT based on his tape. PT will be given to the player who is best at doing what needs to be done.

MeandI

Georgia Tech Fan
Actually Pace is a public school. They play against Escambia, which is where Trent Richardson and Emmitt Smith went. And no one seemed to complain about weak district play when they were there. Also pace's coach was Emmitt's coach. They also play Niceville and Choctaw which both went deep into the playoffs in Florida. Pace is known to be a really tough team that plays in a tough district, but the panhandle is ignored because of the huge population in south Florida. There's a reason he made 1st team all state as a junior and senior.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually Pace is a public school. They play against Escambia, which is where Trent Richardson and Emmitt Smith went. And no one seemed to complain about weak district play when they were there. Also pace's coach was Emmitt's coach. They also play Niceville and Choctaw which both went deep into the playoffs in Florida. Pace is known to be a really tough team that plays in a tough district, but the panhandle is ignored because of the huge population in south Florida. There's a reason he made 1st team all state as a junior and senior.

Ahhh, makes more sense now. I always thought it was Pace in Ga, which was why I was surprised they had such a decent recruit.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Ugh, would have been nice to have an upperclassman around here. I hope CPJ is right about the position being more plug and play.
plug and play? hmmmm- maybe, but at what level? it was not just luck that 2 SR bbacks were dominate after YEARS of exp in the system this yr--almost no fumbles and lots of production- someone will be plugged in and play but with what results?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Ugh, would have been nice to have an upperclassman around here. I hope CPJ is right about the position being more plug and play.

I think the "plug and play" comment applies to experienced running backs with lots of secure ball handling in their playing experience. Would not apply as well to a Byerly or a J Bryan at BB (who have not repeatedly taken handoffs under fire).

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Has anyone mentioned Shamire Devine? Also, I don't think anyone will be worried about the level of competition Vic Alexander played against when he's lined up across from JT in a live scrimmage this summer. That dude is a killer.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone mentioned Shamire Devine? Also, I don't think anyone will be worried about the level of competition Vic Alexander played against when he's lined up across from JT in a live scrimmage this summer. That dude is a killer.
Maybe. But imagine his surprise when he bolts through a gap after a QB who isn't there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think the "plug and play" comment applies to experienced running backs with lots of secure ball handling in their playing experience. Would not apply as well to a Byerly or a J Bryan at BB (who have not repeatedly taken handoffs under fire).
I hope Spring and fall practice will be the start of proof that we don't need 5 th year seniors at ever back field and wide receiver spot . With the faster recruits I am sure it will be more plug and play than wait till they mature. Should be great seasons while we have jet.

GTfansincebirth

Georgia Tech Fan
Days at DT on defense for me. Also looking to see what Harrell can do to fill Nealys shoes. Step Durham as well. On offense I'm really looking at the O line mainly the new guys such as Brown, preddy, and even to see if Devine will win the job. At WR I'll be looking at Jeune and to see if Any others step up. I'm thinking someone comes from no where to impress me. I'm interested to see what true freshman will play this season so I'll have to wait for fall camp i guess.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I can't believe that I forgot this guy in my earlier post in this thread.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Terrell Lewis plays this spring. IIRC, he got time at special teams but not much in regular scrimmage play. He was drafted as a linebacker/def athlete iirc, but he looked like he had a frame that could carry more weight. We have him listed as DL on our roster and listed as 6-2, 227. I was really excited about this guy, in part because he's from a town not far from where I grew up. I'm excited to see where and how he ends up playing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's like 240 now.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I want to see Whitehead and Jabari on the d-line. Also want to see Ant step up and play like the beast he showed he was before the ACL injury. In the secondary I want to see the development of Step and watch his play making abilities come out. On O: I want to see all the beast new o-line members we have(Brown mostly). Also to see Devine grow into a polished, in shape, stud that we know he can be. Then out of all the skill players, I hope Messick stands out and becomes one of the studs at WR that we will have!

NewJacketFan

Georgia Tech Fan
With so many changes at AB I think this is one of the main groups to watch. Hope to find strong replacements for last year's seniors.