Spring Practice Who to watch for?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
To those worried about Snoddy coming back, just remember he was walking around (gingerly) at the OB without crutches. I know the injury looked really bad, but bone breaks usually heal faster than joint injuries. I think he'll be back in the fall, maybe not exactly as strong as last year but he can play his way into shape. It sure would have been nice if a few of our new ABs had been able to enroll early for spring practice.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
With so many changes at AB I think this is one of the main groups to watch. Hope to find strong replacements for last year's seniors.

Spring practice will be an interesting look at the ABs. Snoddy will probably see limited, if any, action. We know what Andrews can do. Eyes will be on Green, Searcy, and Willis in the Spring game but the Fall Camp and practice will be the really important AB competition. Green is out (eligibility) and four and maybe five very talented freshmen will determine who plays and who RSs. My top six guess is Andrews, Snoddy, Searcy, Willis, Cottrell, and Benson but would not rule out Jarrett, or Marshall if not used at BB.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe. But imagine his surprise when he bolts through a gap after a QB who isn't there.

... Maybe. But imagine JT's surprise when he gets blindsided by one of the hardest hitting 2015 recruits in the nation (per me, 247, and everyone else who watched his highlight tape).

If I correctly understand your knock on Vic's tape, it's that he wasn't blocked enough and went to a private school? At best, you're correct that his highlight film is (by definition) a limited collection containing only his best plays & hardest hits.
  • Find a flaw in his game at any point during the 10+ minutes of his tape on Hudl
  • In the 2014 season, Vic's team played against the #16, #28, #98, #115, #148 ranked teams in the nation
  • Vic's team also won state in Florida 3A - haven't heard much complaints about the level of competition in Florida
  • Vic's team had other big name defensive recruits (could explain why their DC allowed Vic to shoot the gaps... aka blitz)
  • This guy's raw striking power is undeniable. Either you're the world's best skeptic or GT beat out Florida, VT, and UCLA for one of this year's best MLB prospects

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
... Maybe. But imagine JT's surprise when he gets blindsided by one of the hardest hitting 2015 recruits in the nation (per me, 247, and everyone else who watched his highlight tape).

If I correctly understand your knock on Vic's tape, it's that he wasn't blocked enough and went to a private school? At best, you're correct that his highlight film is (by definition) a limited collection containing only his best plays & hardest hits.
  • Find a flaw in his game at any point during the 10+ minutes of his tape on Hudl
  • In the 2014 season, Vic's team played against the #16, #28, #98, #115, #148 ranked teams in the nation
  • Vic's team also won state in Florida 3A - haven't heard much complaints about the level of competition in Florida
  • Vic's team had other big name defensive recruits (could explain why their DC allowed Vic to shoot the gaps... aka blitz)
  • This guy's raw striking power is undeniable. Either you're the world's best skeptic or GT beat out Florida, VT, and UCLA for one of this year's best MLB prospects

I hope you're right on every point.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
But imagine JT's surprise when he gets blindsided by one of the hardest hitting 2015 recruits in the nation
I don't think he will be blind sided. In the tape you provided I saw several things: A quarterback who had not had a chance to play regularly who had recently entered the game "cold" after the other quarterback failed to move the team, a Miami team that was playing pass all the way and a defender charging into the backfield who was not even blocked. I could pretty much predict that outcome. Now that JT is a starter with game experience I seriously doubt he will be set up like that ever again.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

You left out Vic tossing OLs and blockers like rag dolls to get to the ball carrier. I've seen some of our DE and DT recruits have trouble doing what Vic did to blockers. Also, Vic was at times too quick and fast for any blocker to even get a hand on him.

I'll say this. The UCLA defensive coach that wanted Vic badly out there in LA ended up taking a job with the Atlanta Falcons. Ted Roof really wanted Vic. So a pro coach and one of the best LBs in GT history both thought Vic was good enough to offer a scholarship. Does anyone really want to question that?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The truth is, nobody knows how things will shake out. Unheralded guys come in and blow us away (PJ Davis) while much heralded guys end up riding the pine for most their careers (I don't want to denigrate any former SA's so I'll leave this blank). Only time will tell.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You left out Vic tossing OLs and blockers like rag dolls to get to the ball carrier. I've seen some of our DE and DT recruits have trouble doing what Vic did to blockers. Also, Vic was at times too quick and fast for any blocker to even get a hand on him.

I'll say this. The UCLA defensive coach that wanted Vic badly out there in LA ended up taking a job with the Atlanta Falcons. Ted Roof really wanted Vic. So a pro coach and one of the best LBs in GT history both thought Vic was good enough to offer a scholarship. Does anyone really want to question that?
Questioning that is what a board does. If your mama says she loves you, check it out.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Ahhh, makes more sense now. I always thought it was Pace in Ga, which was why I was surprised they had such a decent recruit.
Hahaha no. I went to Pace (Academy) and the football there is painful for a lot of reasons. The team size vs school size ratio is pretty awkward. Also, they made a lot of alumni very angry by adding football.

So, outside a Butker scenario where a guy is just really, really good, you wont be seeing a lot out of that Pace.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Questioning is fine, but the validity of your opinion is put against that of professional coaches.
Of course it will be because that is what they do. But please note: I have not questioned the recruiting. What I did question was the focus on blitzing through empty holes and whether maybe there is a reason that run defense is so sparse on the kid's recruiting site. I hope all 27 not only play but all make the two deep, at least. But you know as well as I the chances of that are slim. If half of them pan out GT is in high cotton. I hope Alexander is one of them because the defense needs somebody with an attitude.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Of course it will be because that is what they do. But please note: I have not questioned the recruiting. What I did question was the focus on blitzing through empty holes and whether maybe there is a reason that run defense is so sparse on the kid's recruiting site. I hope all 27 not only play but all make the two deep, at least. But you know as well as I the chances of that are slim. If half of them pan out GT is in high cotton. I hope Alexander is one of them because the defense needs somebody with an attitude.
I do feel like we have been missing that killer personality from the LBs. I want to see someone who makes it his mission to hit someone involved in the play every snap.

ctweimer

Georgia Tech Fan
Well I am a bit biased but I think Quaide will surprise people. I'm not saying he will definitely take the starting spot but I believe he will give Leggett a run for his money.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to the board. Being an Early Enrollee will certainly help. B Back is up for grabs. I would be interested in when they start working on the QB/BB exchange since that is so critical. I doubt that it is a slam- dunk type of learning curve. I am guessing they may do some of this on their own prior to start of official Spring Drills.

ctweimer

Georgia Tech Fan
Welcome to the board. Being an Early Enrollee will certainly help. B Back is up for grabs. I would be interested in when they start working on the QB/BB exchange since that is so critical. I doubt that it is a slam- dunk type of learning curve. I am guessing they may do some of this on their own prior to start of official Spring Drills.
I imagine they would. He did take some handoffs from a 3 point stance in high school so that should help a little. He also said he feels better in the 3 point stance because he feels more explosive.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I imagine they would. He did take some handoffs from a 3 point stance in high school so that should help a little. He also said he feels better in the 3 point stance because he feels more explosive.

There is plenty of running talent in that upcoming BB group. I have no doubt they can all run. The deciding factor early will be ball security (mesh and hanging on for the hits). Blocking will be a factor as well and of course knowing all the play assignments. Q has a timing advantage (EE) so he needs to work hard early on the ball security.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
While it is important how good our recruits are on NSD, how fast they get better and how long they continue to get better is what really matters as to who plays on Saturday. I think Andrews has seen the light and will have a monster spring. Also Gostis should be adding back some weight as he played himself thin last season- start of a major step up.
Also I hope the qb battle is awsome - handled right and with the quality men we have that can really make this spring highly effective for the whole team. If we keep getting better at passing - while a part of the TO, we are going to put up some big numbers.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
While it is important how good our recruits are on NSD, how fast they get better and how long they continue to get better is what really matters as to who plays on Saturday. I think Andrews has seen the light and will have a monster spring. Also Gostis should be adding back some weight as he played himself thin last season- start of a major step up.
Also I hope the qb battle is awsome - handled right and with the quality men we have that can really make this spring highly effective for the whole team. If we keep getting better at passing - while a part of the TO, we are going to put up some big numbers.
I don't expect any qb battle at all. JT is the firm #1 and TB is the firm #2. That said, I am very excited to see MJ and how much progress he's made since last spring. I think we'll see plenty of MJ, too, because there's no need to risk injury to the top 2. The top 2's priority is building chemistry with with all the noobs surrounding them.