Spring Practice Who to watch for?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't expect any qb battle at all. JT is the firm #1 and TB is the firm #2. That said, I am very excited to see MJ and how much progress he's made since last spring. I think we'll see plenty of MJ, too, because there's no need to risk injury to the top 2. The top 2's priority is building chemistry with with all the noobs surrounding them.

The hope at qb is not so much a battle - jet is amazing for sure - but hopefully B and the redshirt freshman look very improved - change the word battle to buzz.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't expect any qb battle at all. JT is the firm #1 and TB is the firm #2. That said, I am very excited to see MJ and how much progress he's made since last spring. I think we'll see plenty of MJ, too, because there's no need to risk injury to the top 2. The top 2's priority is building chemistry with with all the noobs surrounding them.

Honestly, unless TB moves to BB I'd be shocked to see JT get that much practice time. I'd guess on scrimmage day JT'll get 2-3 series, depending on how long they last, all with the #1s. I'd bet TB (assuming he stays at QB) would run with the 2s while JT runs with the 1s, and then run with the 1s the rest of practice. Then I'd expect MJ to rotate on the 3s with others and get the #2 reps while TB runs with the #1s. Maybe 6-7 drives for Byerly and 4-5 drives for MJ?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not sure JT sits out as much of spring as you guys think. Maybe he doesn't run a ton of scrimmage reps, but it's still absolutely critical he gets on the same page with CJ & Quaide on the mesh and the ABs for pitch relationship. Balls on the ground tend to be drive killers, even if you recover it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What are the ground rules for d players hitting our qb's in practice? I know they take hits, but I'm sure there must be something said about the ferocity of hits especially from the blind side.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure JT sits out as much of spring as you guys think. Maybe he doesn't run a ton of scrimmage reps, but it's still absolutely critical he gets on the same page with CJ & Quaide on the mesh and the ABs for pitch relationship. Balls on the ground tend to be drive killers, even if you recover it.

Q isn't going to be running with JT much. I'd anticipate it will be exclusively Leggett for now, since he will be running with the 1s. Q will likely play most with MJ and maybe some with TB.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Brady Swilling has moved fro QB to B Back. He will get a good look this spring too.

Logical move from several aspects: Martensen has looked good as a backup QB. Swilling is a tough kid and might contribute more as a backup BB than a fifth string QB. If he looks serviceable as a third string BB (Connors role in 2014) this will allow other moves to RS or AB from the freshmen BB group. If needed he can always move back to QB. I like.