Spring Practice Who to watch for?

Jonathan Dees

Georgia Tech Fan
Offense:
Michael Summers - Can he take that jump and be our #1 wr target? He has to have the most career catches coming back and is known for some break away speed. Can he take the next step.
Dennis Andrews - Can he be our #1 AB? We have a history of ABacks coming out of nowhere to produce. Will Andrews be the next?
CJ Leggett - Who will be our next starting BBack? CJ will get the first crack at it.

Defense:
Demond Smith - Can he slide over and be a hard hitting safety that comes down in the box when needed? He will need to add some weight IMO.
Anthony Harrell - Can he successfully take over for Quayshawn and his knack for turnovers?
Simmons/Whitehead - Who will step up to be a compliment in our pass rush?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Offense:
Michael Summers - Can he take that jump and be our #1 wr target? He has to have the most career catches coming back and is known for some break away speed. Can he take the next step.
Dennis Andrews - Can he be our #1 AB? We have a history of ABacks coming out of nowhere to produce. Will Andrews be the next?
CJ Leggett - Who will be our next starting BBack? CJ will get the first crack at it.

Defense:
Demond Smith - Can he slide over and be a hard hitting safety that comes down in the box when needed? He will need to add some weight IMO.
Anthony Harrell - Can he successfully take over for Quayshawn and his knack for turnovers?
Simmons/Whitehead - Who will step up to be a compliment in our pass rush?

Generally agree but Smith played nickel safety (hybrid LB) last year and did a good job IMO against the run. He had some coverage issues. I do not see him needing to add weight but his speed or performance in coverage needs to improve.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
Ryan Braswell BB 5-11 211 His HS high lights show him to be a pretty good candidate for B back. Played in TO offense as B back. Have not heard his name mentioned so must not be catching the coaches eye.
I thought this was the guy penciled in as second string BBack behind Leggett.

As to the OP, all the A, B, and WR will be under the microscope. Also Days and the Freshmen on D.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I don’t recall any of the following 9 FR on the 2014 roster being discussed anywhere on the boards. Are they walk ons or just have not been able to elevate above the older guys. They are all OL or DB our deeper positions
Cheyenne HuntOL 6-0 245; Kevo YeremianOL 6-4 290; Jake WhitleyOL 6-4 288

Zach MatthewsDB 6-2 180; Melvin DavisDB 6-0 194; Mitchell WilliamsOL 6-2 236

Michael PreddyOL 6-3 274; Josh SelemboDB 6-3 179; Roderick TylerDB 5-8 207

Same question for the following 4 RSFR

John MarvinDB 6-1 193; Niko AndersonOL 6-3 277; John MarvinDB 6-1 193

Mitchell WilliamsOL 6-2 236

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Preddy, Whitley and Marvin on scholarship.

Preddy and Whitley both redshirted last year.

Marvin played on ST, someone we see get more time at DB this year.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Never been so excited to see what so many new guys can do but to be a contrarian, Kallon is the one I want to see stand out. If JHD comes back and Kallon has reached the level of "better than average", then our DL weakness may be a thing of the past. Personally I just don't think we will be as lucky on DL injuries this year and even if JHD is a wrecking ball, we need more depth. With JHD and a good yr from Kallon I think we will have our best defense in years and maybe eliminate games like UNC last year.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Have I totally missed the fact that Hunt-Days will not be playing?
Right now, the plan is that JHD will very much be playing. But, it's going to be up to him to do the academic work and get himself restored to eligibility. The feeling is that he will/can. Remains to be seen, though.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Guys I'm rooting for to show breakout potentia: Matthew Jordan, Kallon, Searcy, and Allen

Must see battles: BBack, Linebacker, DL

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Guys I'm rooting for to show breakout potentia: Matthew Jordan, Kallon, Searcy, and Allen

Must see battles: BBack, Linebacker, DL

Agree with DL and LB battles. BB competition will be in the Fall. Spring its Leggitt#1 and Quaide #2. No one else! Interesting to see whether Gamble plays SDE or DT. May depend on JHD eligibility prospects. Hoping also for breakouts Kallon and Allen but counting more on Willis. I am looking to see how the O tackles stack up: Griffin, Fromayan, Bryan, Klock, Stickler, Preddy: and whether Whitley pushes anyone at G.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Everyone has already listed everybody I can think of. If I had to just talk about a few guys it would be as follows:

Jabari because he has really gotten big and because of what Shaq said about him.
Gary Brown because he got similar comments from defensive players in practice going against him.
Leggett because he was basically ready to go this past season and CPJ seems to be really high on him.
Whitehead because he was actually my favorite defensive player in his class and if he can clear academic hurtles he will be a monster.
The Austin twins because they will be a year further in their development.
Agree Leggett, and a whole passel of A backs I hope can get ready for September. But to my knowledge Johnson went two-platoon in his B back position in '14 and it worked better than anyone would have projected. But now we have 1,800 yards of rushing to replace in the slot. So, yeah, Leggett has the spot on him. Failure there puts it all on Thomas and that's not good.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
We have the talent for BB. The ?? is ball security and the mesh. I am sure The three QBs will be working with new guys to get the mesh down before start of spring practice and during Summer prior to start of Fall season. How well they hang on to the ball will be seen during spring/fall scrimmages.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We have the talent for BB. The ?? is ball security and the mesh. I am sure The three QBs will be working with new guys to get the mesh down before start of spring practice and during Summer prior to start of Fall season. How well they hang on to the ball will be seen during spring/fall scrimmages.
No doubt it will be so. But when the B position floats a new model out the door two deep, I guess my thinking is what I once read about good journalists: if your mama says she loves you, check it out. Or, in Missouri, show me. I will hope for the best and fear the worst, because it was not that long ago that in addition to having no QB Johnson also had little talent at B back, and we know what happened.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Definitely Jeune. Need someone to take over as our top target and although I like Summers, I don't see him as that guy.

Leggett obviously.

Gary Brown to see if he can come in and fill Shaq's shoes.

Defensively I think a lot of our core guys are back. JHD would be the biggest factor to watch.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Definitely Jeune. Need someone to take over as our top target and although I like Summers, I don't see him as that guy.

Leggett obviously.

Gary Brown to see if he can come in and fill Shaq's shoes.

Defensively I think a lot of our core guys are back. JHD would be the biggest factor to watch.
And I would add, how is Quaide progressing in a short amount of time. Critical we have a strong number 2 at BB.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My eyes will basically be on BB, WR, AB, and LB. I'm not as much looking for specific players, but instead looking at holes we have and hoping someone can fill them.

Offense:

For AB, I want to see if Andrews can be a starter. I don't think Snoddy will be back. I'll also be looking to see if we have anyone else who should get on the field besides those two - particularly anyone who can block.

At BB, I'll be looking to see if Leggett should start. Same thing at WR - who looks like they actually belong on the field (and more specifically who should start - looking at Searcy, Jeyune, Summers, etc.). I don't think we have someone who could be a backup on the roster currently, so I'll wait until fall to look at that.

I won't be watching QB or OL. We are fine there.

Defense:

I won't be watching much of the DL. Be nice to see some improvement there, but there just won't be that many surprises I don't think (will be looking at Whitehead and Freeman though just out of curiosity). Even moreso I will be ignoring DBs. We've got a bunch of good ones coming back.

I'll be really curious to see who can step up and fill the gap left by QN. Harrell seems to be a good bet, as others have said. I'd also be curious to see how the backups are.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don’t recall any of the following 9 FR on the 2014 roster being discussed anywhere on the boards. Are they walk ons or just have not been able to elevate above the older guys. They are all OL or DB our deeper positions
Cheyenne HuntOL 6-0 245; Kevo YeremianOL 6-4 290; Jake WhitleyOL 6-4 288

Zach MatthewsDB 6-2 180; Melvin DavisDB 6-0 194; Mitchell WilliamsOL 6-2 236

Michael PreddyOL 6-3 274; Josh SelemboDB 6-3 179; Roderick TylerDB 5-8 207

Same question for the following 4 RSFR

John MarvinDB 6-1 193; Niko AndersonOL 6-3 277; John MarvinDB 6-1 193

Mitchell WilliamsOL 6-2 236
If we can get a guy named Cheyenne on the field, I vote yes.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
And I would add, how is Quaide progressing in a short amount of time.
I am not much of a follower of recruiting and stars and whatnot, and wonder about film posted by a player or his coach meant for recruiters to see. So can anybody shed some light on why a kid who hasn't played a snap or even served on the scout team should be able to play as a true freshman? And is it correct he went to a private school? (I have some of the same questions about Alexander's film. An awful lot of him lining up in a gap and bursting into the backfield unblocked; not so much shedding blockers or sliding down the LOS. Not to say he didn't or couldn't. Just wonder about it. But I am not a scout and if the coaches vote yes, I'm all in.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Closely watched Braun and Andrews in clemson acc and orange bowl games. Expect greatness in 2015 to begin in spring. Both see the play develope.