Spring Practice - Day 1

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Audio and info from day 1

http://buzz.gt/gtspring15
thanks for that. It's always hard taking anything away from coach's post practice pressers but he seemed in a good mood and that is always good. JT had an interesting comment about his role as a leader and how that impacted the new guys. I think he said he needed to see them do things "the way I (he) want it..." Seems he's really taken ownership of this team and knows and relishes the fact that he's the guy. His laid back approach has got to be very comforting and supportive to the new guys, too.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Even going back to Godsey I've never felt so confident in a backup QB as I am with Byerly. Not saying Goose wasn't great but I didnt realize that fact till he had a chance to start.

You just reminded me of that game against Central Florida with Goose back in the day. Anybody else remember the game I'm thinking of?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Even going back to Godsey I've never felt so confident in a backup QB as I am with Byerly. Not saying Goose wasn't great but I didnt realize that fact till he had a chance to start.
You know, people really weren't very high on Godsey at all as a back up to JH. In fact, there was a ton of worry in the GT fan base at the time. His VERY FIRST start he had to engineer a crazy comeback against CFU (I believe) who at the time was supposed to be a pushover. I think we were down 21-7 (or something like that) pretty late in the game. The Goose went on to surprise people over his two years, and ultimately shut them up, but let's not pretend that people were all like "man we are so deep at QB with Goose backing up JH"

LibertyTurns

Banned
You know, people really weren't very high on Godsey at all as a back up to JH. In fact, there was a ton of worry in the GT fan base at the time.
Wow, that's an understatement!!!!

I'm sure there's there many on here that can sniff out talent, but count me in the column that thought Goose would prevent us from winning many games. Man am I ever glad I was wrong about that.

Have we ever had back to back QBs as talented? Certainly not in my lifetime from what I can remember.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I'm sure there's there many on here that can sniff out talent, but count me in the column that thought Goose would prevent us from winning many games. Man am I ever glad I was wrong about that.

Have we ever had back to back QBs as talented? Certainly not in my lifetime from what I can remember.
Well, Goose was talented between the ears and with his eyes. Everything else? Not so much. He had a weak to average arm, was slow footed, and not very physical. Great accuracy and saw the field really well. He was the last good QB we had for a while I am sorry to say.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
boomer is totally right. GT was trailing to central florida when they were D1AA with Dante Culpepper and we were platooning between jermaine crenshaw and george godsey. This was 2000. I think that was the year we were to open the season vs VT but the lightning game cancelled it and gave us more practice time. GT and the QB situation was not good to start the year. Then the TEAM grew and George grew and we went on to having a great year. In fact there is some parallel to this year with JT....unknown at the QB and the team grows and was WAY better end of year than beginning of year (look at georgia southern and VT games).

No one had any confidence in godsey until he showed it on the field. Then in 2001 we expected alot more and were just ok 8 wins and a loss at home to UGA in richt's first year....and actually UGA pushed us around in that game. In fact, I don't think we have beat uga at our house since 1998??? Is that right? WOW.

George was not a great athlete, but a solid one. He used to pitch and could throw a pretty nice fastball. He had great accuracy and timing. Timing was a huge allie for george. he was a smart kid too....his arm strength was ok. Not great...not awful. Just ok. But because of accuracy and timing he managed just fine....

slugboy

Staff member
Well, Goose was talented between the ears and with his eyes. Everything else? Not so much. He had a weak to average arm, was slow footed, and not very physical. Great accuracy and saw the field really well. He was the last good QB we had for a while I am sorry to say.
Ralph had to work a ton on Godsey's mechanics--those first couple of games, he wasn't accurate yet. He was getting swapped in and out a lot, and was getting coached on the sidelines.

I remember being relieved when Crenshaw came in for Godsey. Then being relieved again when Godsey came in for Crenshaw.

I also think he regressed when Ralph left.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
boomer is totally right. GT was trailing to central florida when they were D1AA with Dante Culpepper and we were platooning between jermaine crenshaw and george godsey. This was 2000. I think that was the year we were to open the season vs VT but the lightning game cancelled it and gave us more practice time. GT and the QB situation was not good to start the year. Then the TEAM grew and George grew and we went on to having a great year. In fact there is some parallel to this year with JT....unknown at the QB and the team grows and was WAY better end of year than beginning of year (look at georgia southern and VT games).

No one had any confidence in godsey until he showed it on the field. Then in 2001 we expected alot more and were just ok 8 wins and a loss at home to UGA in richt's first year....and actually UGA pushed us around in that game. In fact, I don't think we have beat uga at our house since 1998??? Is that right? WOW.

George was not a great athlete, but a solid one. He used to pitch and could throw a pretty nice fastball. He had great accuracy and timing. Timing was a huge allie for george. he was a smart kid too....his arm strength was ok. Not great...not awful. Just ok. But because of accuracy and timing he managed just fine....
Yes. That is correct on when we last won in our own house!
I've mentioned before my kid doesn't even kno what it feels like to win against ugag in BDS. That will change this year!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You know, people really weren't very high on Godsey at all as a back up to JH. In fact, there was a ton of worry in the GT fan base at the time. His VERY FIRST start he had to engineer a crazy comeback against CFU (I believe) who at the time was supposed to be a pushover. I think we were down 21-7 (or something like that) pretty late in the game. The Goose went on to surprise people over his two years, and ultimately shut them up, but let's not pretend that people were all like "man we are so deep at QB with Goose backing up JH"

"Worry" is putting it lightly. I remember one of my roommates said she was at a game where Godsey got in and they were roundly booing him. I didn't like that sort of thing (I only yelled at him through the TV :unsure:), but she got her comeuppance when they realized they were sitting right behind his family. They were classy and didn't respond but she felt soooo bad that her and her group apologized. Served her right.

Funny thing was, at graduation, she and I were sitting next to Godsey. I know, I know. Cool story bro'.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You just reminded me of that game against Central Florida with Goose back in the day. Anybody else remember the game I'm thinking of?

I saw Daunte Culpeper play at BDS one year. It was a homecoming game. To this day, Culpepper probably had the biggest arm I've ever seen live. The guy was throwing 70 yard bombs with a flick of his wrist.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I know I'm beating a dead horse here about the equity in coverage by the AJC (that horse is do dead the flies have left), but when the dwags started spring practice, there were 3 articles the first day, and 2 of those were on the front page of the sports section. I had to go to the end of the sports section to find Ken's single write up about the good guys. It might have something to do with me living close to the cesspool, but it still chaps my gluteal regions.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ain't nothing happening on the first few days outside of guys running around in shorts and running a few drills. The good stuff won't happen until they put the pads on.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Ain't nothing happening on the first few days outside of guys running around in shorts and running a few drills. The good stuff won't happen until they put the pads on.

Yeah Friday/Saturday is when it gets good.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer