Spring Practice - Day 1

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
boomer is totally right. GT was trailing to central florida when they were D1AA with Dante Culpepper and we were platooning between jermaine crenshaw and george godsey. This was 2000. I think that was the year we were to open the season vs VT but the lightning game cancelled it and gave us more practice time. GT and the QB situation was not good to start the year. Then the TEAM grew and George grew and we went on to having a great year. In fact there is some parallel to this year with JT....unknown at the QB and the team grows and was WAY better end of year than beginning of year (look at georgia southern and VT games).

No one had any confidence in godsey until he showed it on the field. Then in 2001 we expected alot more and were just ok 8 wins and a loss at home to UGA in richt's first year....and actually UGA pushed us around in that game. In fact, I don't think we have beat uga at our house since 1998??? Is that right? WOW.

George was not a great athlete, but a solid one. He used to pitch and could throw a pretty nice fastball. He had great accuracy and timing. Timing was a huge allie for george. he was a smart kid too....his arm strength was ok. Not great...not awful. Just ok. But because of accuracy and timing he managed just fine....
Let's hope we never have to find out how deep we are at QB.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I know I'm beating a dead horse here about the equity in coverage by the AJC (that horse is do dead the flies have left), but when the dwags started spring practice, there were 3 articles the first day, and 2 of those were on the front page of the sports section. I had to go to the end of the sports section to find Ken's single write up about the good guys. It might have something to do with me living close to the cesspool, but it still chaps my gluteal regions.
Anyone notice that all the GT articles on the ajc.com are pictured with photos of empty seats. Gotta love the dwag editors...

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
boomer is totally right. GT was trailing to central florida when they were D1AA with Dante Culpepper and we were platooning between jermaine crenshaw and george godsey. This was 2000. I think that was the year we were to open the season vs VT but the lightning game cancelled it and gave us more practice time. GT and the QB situation was not good to start the year. Then the TEAM grew and George grew and we went on to having a great year. In fact there is some parallel to this year with JT....unknown at the QB and the team grows and was WAY better end of year than beginning of year (look at georgia southern and VT games).

No one had any confidence in godsey until he showed it on the field. Then in 2001 we expected alot more and were just ok 8 wins and a loss at home to UGA in richt's first year....and actually UGA pushed us around in that game. In fact, I don't think we have beat uga at our house since 1998??? Is that right? WOW.

George was not a great athlete, but a solid one. He used to pitch and could throw a pretty nice fastball. He had great accuracy and timing. Timing was a huge allie for george. he was a smart kid too....his arm strength was ok. Not great...not awful. Just ok. But because of accuracy and timing he managed just fine....

Dante Culpepper was at UCF from 1995 to 1998. They were still trash during the Goose years.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Why people were so worried about Godsey:
We were driving against FSU, on about their 35 and only six points down late in the third/early fourth quarter when Joe went down to Andrew's assassins. Godsey came in, promptly fumbled and was ineffective the rest of the game. FSU won going away.

Godsey proved them absolutely wrong. And he bristled when people would say he wasn't athletic.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Ain't nothing happening on the first few days outside of guys running around in shorts and running a few drills. The good stuff won't happen until they put the pads on.

i know, i'm just starving to death for football news, i'm addicted to this team

stpetewreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Would just like to chime in and say that I just read Godsey was promoted to Offensive Coordinator of the texans....interesting. I realize he was pretty much the de facto coordinator last year...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have one and only one hope for spring practice.

Please, Holy Trinity in Heaven above, make it so that the weather for the spring game isn't as cold, wet, and generally uncomfortable for both the players and the fans as it was last year. The game was fun to watch, but I've seldom been as wretched at a football game in my whole life.

Everything else we can leave up to the coaches, I think.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I always thought Godsey was pretty darn athletic...not equal to Joe but athletic. People said he was slow on the run but the mutts in Athens couldn't seem to catch him.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I have one and only one hope for spring practice.

Please, Holy Trinity in Heaven above, make it so that the weather for the spring game isn't as cold, wet, and generally uncomfortable for both the players and the fans as it was last year. The game was fun to watch, but I've seldom been as wretched at a football game in my whole life.

Everything else we can leave up to the coaches, I think.
I think the last two years the weather has been bad right?

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Goose Godsey always reminded me of the counselor at youth camp who showed up the first day in a collared shirt and khaki shorts, looking about as athletic as Stephen Hawking. Then two days later he's dunking on you in front of the senior girl you have a crush on. Sneaky athletic...

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
I know this is a little off the current line of posts, but it is relevant to the main thread. Regarding JT's post practice interview, has anyone but me noticed how much stronger and in shape he looks? Especially compared to his fan day video of last season? He looks like a high school kid. Another good look is his post Georgia game interview, where he's obviously packed on some muscle from the season, but looked like he was in a bulking stage of his workouts.

What an unbelievable transformation! If he can do that in 9 months, where is he going to be with another 5 months before the season starts?