Spring Practice 2016 News & Notes

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
R

The Dline is still really light in the britches and has the size to get moved around up front just not by the Oline, who are equally small. (Outside of Devine)
The lack of size on both lines will come back to haunt GT.

FWIW, the DL should be bigger than it's been in a while, no? Surge is 295, Gamble is 277, Freeman is 250, and if Branch starts at 270, that's actually not TERRIBLE size. I mean, it's not a huge line, but it's not a tiny line, either.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Really disappointed with Shamire.. Did he do anything besides eat during the break??? just poor

Since GT plays mostly the nickle I'm expecting bigger safeties and something of a rover position being created.
David Curry& Jalen Johnson comes to mind.

The Dline is still really light in the britches and has the size to get moved around up front just not by the Oline, who are equally small. (Outside of Devine)
The lack of size on both lines will come back to haunt GT.

I agree about Shamire, but I'm not worried by DL size. I think we're in the ball park of vpi lines. We just need to get better.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, the DL should be bigger than it's been in a while, no? Surge is 295, Gamble is 277, Freeman is 250, and if Branch starts at 270, that's actually not TERRIBLE size. I mean, it's not a huge line, but it's not a tiny line, either.
Jordan Woods will also come in around 260-270 and Brandon Adams will be around 320-330

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I don't think size or weight are as big of a deal as some. Like someone else noted, we just need to get better. Athleticism, skill, and technique are more important IMO. Unless you are 350 pounds and as strong as an ox, then it might help to have someone like that at NT, but otherwise unless we are really underweight, like 260 or below at DT, then I don't think it matters all that much.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think it is now time for everyone (including the coaches) to get used to the idea that Shamire is just plain big in every way. He's never going to get down to 330. He probably hasn't weighed that since he was a sophomore in high school. I'm sure he tried in the off season, but most of us are not going to lose 50 lbs. in a few months, no matter what the effort.

But I still expect him to start. The only reason he didn't start every game for us last year was his slight concussion. That gave Joe his opening and, as Coach has proven over and over, when you play as well as the guy you replace - Joe did - Coach won't take your job away until you don't. But Shamire still played about half of every game. And looked pretty good doing it too. He's probably our best straight ahead blocker and that'll be more at a premium this year due to (please, Lord) better BB production.

A personal note: Shamire reminds me a little of one of my stroke doctors (I had some TIAs about 20 years ago). Dr. Waddy was 6'2" and weighted 350. As she pointed out, everyone in her family was that big or bigger. At that weight, her BP was usually around 120/55. She was healthy as a horse; she was, like Shamire, just big.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Shamire is big but he also has a history of problems with conditioning / stamina. The problem with putting him at DL is the hurry up offense....he gets winded I don't want to have to burn a timeout.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Jordan Woods will also come in around 260-270 and Brandon Adams will be around 320-330
Kallon is at 294

We could go really big on the d line with 2 defensive ends at 270 + and 2 defensive tackles at 290 +

I would dare to say we would be above the average size for d line in college if our rotation was Cerge henderson, Adams, kallon, Gambel, freeman, branch, saint-amour, and woods.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
This is America, finding a 300 pounder is easy. Like other posters have said, we need disruptive, athletic linemen first. If we have guys that fit the bill and are 300+ then all the better.

Also,
No way freeman is 250.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
DL and OL still really light in the britches. don't athletes have diets recommended for them by Tech sports nutritionists. Diet is huge in strength and conditioning. as i figured out the hard way, you can work out all day, but if you don't get the right amounts of protein and calories in you, you won't gain weight or strength.
I don't see why we don't get these DL on a heavy bulking routine and diet, they need to get some bricks in their shorts if they don't want to get blown off the line like last year.
AS for devine, the sports nutritionist needs to get on him asap, he's obviously been taking way too many cheat days.

also: see freeman around campus all the time. he doesn't look that much/if any bigger than he did last year. still think he's around 240ish

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think it is now time for everyone (including the coaches) to get used to the idea that Shamire is just plain big in every way. He's never going to get down to 330. He probably hasn't weighed that since he was a sophomore in high school. I'm sure he tried in the off season, but most of us are not going to lose 50 lbs. in a few months, no matter what the effort.

But I still expect him to start. The only reason he didn't start every game for us last year was his slight concussion. That gave Joe his opening and, as Coach has proven over and over, when you play as well as the guy you replace - Joe did - Coach won't take your job away until you don't. But Shamire still played about half of every game. And looked pretty good doing it too. He's probably our best straight ahead blocker and that'll be more at a premium this year due to (please, Lord) better BB production.

A personal note: Shamire reminds me a little of one of my stroke doctors (I had some TIAs about 20 years ago). Dr. Waddy was 6'2" and weighted 350. As she pointed out, everyone in her family was that big or bigger. At that weight, her BP was usually around 120/55. She was healthy as a horse; she was, like Shamire, just big.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. BP is not he only indicator of health. People with this sort of weight problem tend to end up with type II diabetes more often than not. Football aside, Mr. Shamire probably needs to think hard about getting in shape for life after football someday when he isn't working out all the time.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. BP is not he only indicator of health. People with this sort of weight problem tend to end up with type II diabetes more often than not. Football aside, Mr. Shamire probably needs to think hard about getting in shape for life after football someday when he isn't working out all the time.

Rant aside. If he doesn't get his weight down, I don't see him starting, or at the very least he's split time. A move to DL on short yardage situations may be better suited in that case...

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The thing with Shamire is he is truly a STUDENT athlete. He's way more interested in the academics and computer engineering than he is football. I think athletics is truly a means to an end for him.
I've read this before. He seems to be one of those kids that takes school very seriously.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The thing with Shamire is he is truly a STUDENT athlete. He's way more interested in the academics and computer engineering than he is football. I think athletics is truly a means to an end for him.

Academics or food? I'm a fat man. I know how it happens. I hope he has a conversation with TJ Barnes before it's too late. These issues at 20 can become killers at 50, especially with the nutrition fitness support he's getting.