Spring game talk

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
JJ seems to have that innate ability to make people miss when being rushed that JT showed at times. He seems to have that "did you just see that?" ability that can change games. Both he and TM seemed very elusive and perfect change ups from Jordan although I would love it if both had a bit more size, since I want everything!!! The spring game may have caused me more concern about our OL depth but virtually eliminated my QB concerns. I would hate to deal with our backfield which I now think is the most talented CPJ has had. Starting with Diesel 2.0 on the inside this should be a fun year and 2018 may be even better!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I like LJ's size and length. He looks like a QB first and was allowed to play as one during the Spring game. What he may not be as an explosive or as an elusive runner as JJ, but as a passer he was clearly better. He looked plenty explosive as a straight line runner too.

So a shiftier more elusive runner with a cannon vs bigger, stronger, guy who has a strong arm, touch and accuracy.

Take your pick for me right now it's LJ.

I can't decide until I see the TO decisions made with the handoffs and pitches. We know the QBs can run. I agree that LJ has the passing advantage. JJ has the big play advantage. MJ has the game experience and short yardage/toughness advantage. TM is a blend but more like JJ. CPJ with the playmakers he has on O could win a lot of games with Martensen. I can see that CPJ is not worried about the QBs, (but I hope and trust he has some focus on OT).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A couple of weeks ago, CPJ complained about Jahaziel's Spring. The T-Day game seem to back that up. I think he's going to have to make a commitment to come on strong this Summer. I'm hoping that some of our incoming freshmen come in with fire and push our starters on the OL.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
A couple of weeks ago, CPJ complained about Jahaziel's Spring. The T-Day game seem to back that up. I think he's going to have to make a commitment to come on strong this Summer. I'm hoping that some of our incoming freshmen come in with fire and push our starters on the OL.
Which is crazy because Lee played so well last year for a freshman, let's hope somethings change this summer with him though.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My take on the QBs:

IMO, it was hard to evaluate Lucas Johnson. He played behind what was essentially the 3rd string/walk on O line and had some walk ons as his skill guys. He just didn't have much time back there to do much. CPJ really didn't call that many plays within the confines of our option offense with him. Most of his plays were passing plays, and the majority of those were blown up with 2-3 guys consistently in his face as soon as the ball was snapped. I would have liked to have seen LJ behind the 1T OLs. However, he was definitely the better passer versus Jay Jones. JJ missed some easy targets. When given a chance, Lucas was able to pull off a 70 TD run.

Jay Jones was pretty impressive in terms of improvising. His second half long run was actually off a pass play that he decided to pull down and take off. That was something JeT was really good at. You can definitely tell JJ has some promise given more snaps. I'm not sure he'll ever be the passer LJ is, there's only so much you can do to help with a guy's accuracy and anticipation. However, I think his explosion and agility in short spaces is better than Lucas Johnson's. They're both different type of runners. JJ is explosive and shifty, and LJ is more of a straight line guy who can become a power runner once he gets more muscle on his frame.

To me, Taquan is still the same QB he was last season. Really good within our running offense, but still struggles as a passer. I think his knowledge and experience running our offense currently gives him the advantage, but that gap is closing quickly.

People may minimize the QB's passing ability since we run 80% of the time, but passing ability is what made JeT so dangerous. Teams had to defend him honestly. I think CPJ has a plan for LJ. I've read that LJ throws with the 1st team during skeleton drills which means something. I think LJ is very capable of running our option offense if given time and the opportunity.

IMO, no one during the spring runs our offense like MJ. Barring a longer recovery period than expected, I still see MJ as our starter and it's really not a debate for me. However, QB2 is going to be really interesting. TM, JJ, and LJ all bring something very valuable to the table. IMO, JJ and TM are closer in skillset and are similar type of QBs, and LJ has probably the most unique set of skills of any QB on the roster. Going to be interesting to see what happens here during the fall.

Going to go out on a limb: If MJ is 100% healthy, I would not be surprised to see either TM or JJ or both moved to AB (TM) or WR (JJ) to utilize their skillsets instead of sitting on the bench. Come 2018, that's where we'll REALLY see all of them (and Tobias Oliver) battle it out for QB.

Last edited:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Does the lack of reading the pitch key on the outside during the spring game not concern anyone?

Yes. As much as there was to be impressed by all the QBs, there were areas of concern with each, as well. Not unlike most of our spring games.

I'm also sure each of them was trying to display the best ball security, and was thinking better safe than sorry.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Take this for what it's worth... and it's not worth much due to it coming from a complete outsider and it being based off insufficient evidence and sample size, but I have a feeling that Jay Jones will be our starting QB at some point in '17

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Lucas Johnson surprised me with his wheels. He can run in space, much like Vad could too. I like LJ as a passer. He can float the ball when he needs to and has a supple delivery that inspires confidence. I like him a lot. However, he doesn't scream to me that we MUST have the ball in his hands. He would be most valuable as a distributor, which has value. Jay Jones, on the other hand, is the type of athlete who simply has to have the ball. He is to home runs as Mills is to slobber knocking. I am trying to think of a single FB player in our history who made as big an impression on me running with the football after such a short viewing and I can't. JT's HS film was about like that, but....

We will need an identity on offense. If that ID is spread and chuck it around, then LJ. If it is spread option basics like CPJ has repped over and over, then it is JJ.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
To me, Taquan is still the same QB he was last season. Really good within our running offense, but still struggles as a passer. I think his knowledge and experience running our offense currently gives him the advantage, but that gap is closing quickly.

Going to go out on a limb: If MJ is 100% healthy, I would not be surprised to see either TM or JJ or both moved to AB (TM) or WR (JJ) to utilize their skillsets instead of sitting on the bench. Come 2018, that's where we'll REALLY see all of them (and Tobias Oliver) battle it out for QB.

I agree with these two paragraphs for sure. And I've said before that my HOPE is that one of the freshmen takes the reins at QB2, TM goes to AB and the other freshman goes to AB or WR if TO can come in and take QB3 (really redshirt with CM being emergency QB).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Does the lack of reading the pitch key on the outside during the spring game not concern anyone?

I remember thinking the whole time, "Man our QBs are keeping too much. Gotta pitch it." I wonder if that's a typical young, option-QB thing. Trusting the pitch, I mean.

That said, I liked LJ best. Best combined run/pass ability.

Lastly, POTD honors go to @Boomergump for his use of 'supple'. Kudos, sir.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Lucas Johnson surprised me with his wheels. He can run in space, much like Vad could too. I like LJ as a passer. He can float the ball when he needs to and has a supple delivery that inspires confidence. I like him a lot. However, he doesn't scream to me that we MUST have the ball in his hands. He would be most valuable as a distributor, which has value. Jay Jones, on the other hand, is the type of athlete who simply has to have the ball. He is to home runs as Mills is to slobber knocking. I am trying to think of a single FB player in our history who made as big an impression on me running with the football after such a short viewing and I can't. JT's HS film was about like that, but....

We will need an identity on offense. If that ID is spread and chuck it around, then LJ. If it is spread option basics like CPJ has repped over and over, then it is JJ.
Completely agree here. Honestly after watching, IMO Jay Jones is the most electric QB I've ever seen run the ball for CPJ. Yes JT was awesome and might have more straight line speed, but Jay Jones looked a lot like Lamar Jackson running (body lean, acceleration, quick twitch movements etc.) who knows if he'll win a Heisman or ever play a down. However, we have a run first offense. Making sure he has the ability to run and keep on over 50% of our offense would be huge with his ability. Other teams couldn't replicate that kind of speed and explosiveness to prepare for us.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought we may have missed several reads at the game but after watching the film I only saw one really bad pitch read. Most of the time it was a good no pitch even though the play may not have gained much.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Jay is a guy who you see running and wonder if his feet are touching the ground. He "glides" effortlessly and has much better balance than I originally thought. I kind of dismissed him as an athlete that happens to play quarterback but forget about it this dude is a quarterback. He screams option quarterback. It would be a mistake (IMHO) to move him to Aback. Given time, coaching, reps, and more reps, he could be (dare I say it) the best quarterback in the Johnson era. He is that good. Ok, I broke my rule of trying not to take extreme positions on players so flame away and have had it. This should not be construed as a dismissal of the talents of Taquan and Lucas, they have skill sets that are just different as articulated above by Techster and Boomer.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
After watching the film I feel like Coach Johnson has choices at QB and will maximize their strengths to put us in the best possible position to be successful.

Like others I think we are good with skill players on both sides of the ball.

My two areas of concern are depth on the OL. Loosing Will really hurt in the game. The DL out played the OL so I'm hopeful there. And Lber! I think BM has made strides and will be alot better. I hope VA will be sufficient but he still needs to make gains. The rest of the backers have potential! That to me is the key on D.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I remember thinking the whole time, "Man our QBs are keeping too much. Gotta pitch it." I wonder if that's a typical young, option-QB thing. Trusting the pitch, I mean.

That said, I liked LJ best. Best combined run/pass ability.

Lastly, POTD honors go to @Boomergump for his use of 'supple'. Kudos, sir.
I don't get this whole best run/pass ability thing for LJ. We have only had a small sample size of the guys, and it's already been said that JJ throws the best ball. JJ had not practiced all week because of an injury, so I don't think the spring game was good to see his passing ability, but I feel that way for all the QB's, none of them really had time to do much in any aspect of our offense. Imo JJ will end up being the starter, but that's just me guess from comments I have heard on him.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I thought we may have missed several reads at the game but after watching the film I only saw one really bad pitch read. Most of the time it was a good no pitch even though the play may not have gained much.
I think I saw 3, two by TM and one by JJ.