Spring game talk

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I liked what CPJ said about Lucas. He doesn't get rattled or bothered by stuff, he just goes and plays. That's a big compliment. And, that kind of an intangible thing could very well be what it comes down to. Who would you pick?

This speaks volumes to me.
Well at my age this does make it easier to read. ;)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think he's saying...

You are correct about ball security and reads [for the freshmen], which still is a question for MJ [as well]. But [do you really think it amounts to] annointing oils [to be excited about the freshmen]?
Ok. I feel much, much better about MJ's reads, especially the pre-snap read and the give/keep read (the keep/pitch read... not so much). On ball security, it's still an issue with MJ, but not as much of one. I do think some guys are getting ahead of themselves with their expectations of the new guys.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Some look at a few reps during the spring game and express concern about reads, ball security etc. Others see exciting talent, and hear CPJ's praise for the group (and direct statements that the performance for some was atypical) and get excited. I am in the latter group and am reserving my concerns for OL depth.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Some look at a few reps during the spring game and express concern about reads, ball security etc. Others see exciting talent, and hear CPJ's praise for the group (and direct statements that the performance for some was atypical) and get excited. I am in the latter group and am reserving my concerns for OL depth.
Only one guy has any "typical performance" that matters and he didn't even play in the spring game. Looking good in practice is one thing, looking good in a real game against a defense not wearing white and gold is a whole Nother.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
In a way this is a good problem to have since we have to replace the QB. However, I just hope we can keep one of the redshirt freshmen from transferring after this year. I think they will be willing to sit this year as backups. Since both are in the same year and as talented as they are, it may be difficult for one of them to be willing to be a backup for 4 years. I liked what I saw with both JJ and LJ, but I thought LJ played a little better in the scrimmage. All of them can run but JJ is more elusive and like JT could turn a scramble into a big play in a game. JT literally won the Duke game last year with his scrambling for big plays. With our historical lack of really good pass protection that would seem to be real plus for JJ since there are times we really need to pass the ball. PJ will have a tough decision on which one of these guys gives him the best chance at winning. They all have good skills and will be fun to watch in the next few years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The most popular player on every team is the backup QB. We have 3 to fight over :)

MJ was fairly sure to be our starter prior to his injury IMO. Now??? This may create a true QB battle this fall now.

Uninformed inexpert opinion...JJ and LJ have edged out TM by a hair. Not nearly enough evidence to point to a leader between those two. I think JJ clearly has the edge toting the rock. LJ has an edge, from my very limited viewing, throwing the ball. No idea which one leads in making veer reads (or how TM stacks up here). Both look very capable of being successful running our O.

If I have to choose between two QBs that are both capable of running our O efficiently, one has an edge running, the other has an edge passing.....I'm going with the player most capable of making a 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 15 pass completions to keep the sticks moving. It's usually not as simple as this however and I concede that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this. Though the ability to break big plays rushing can be a game changer...so can completing those 3rd or 4th and long throws. Of the two I value the latter slightly more than the former. Having a Calvin Johnson or Demarius Bilbo on the field might skew me back in the other direction.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I think he's saying...

You are correct about ball security and reads [for the freshmen], which still is a question for MJ [as well]. But [do you really think it amounts to] annointing oils [to be excited about the freshmen]?
Exactly what I was trying to say. The "as well" after MJ would have made it more clear. I don't see anyone being anointed in this thread.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
The most popular player on every team is the backup QB. We have 3 to fight over :)

MJ was fairly sure to be our starter prior to his injury IMO. Now??? This may create a true QB battle this fall now.

Uninformed inexpert opinion...JJ and LJ have edged out TM by a hair. Not nearly enough evidence to point to a leader between those two. I think JJ clearly has the edge toting the rock. LJ has an edge, from my very limited viewing, throwing the ball. No idea which one leads in making veer reads (or how TM stacks up here). Both look very capable of being successful running our O.

If I have to choose between two QBs that are both capable of running our O efficiently, one has an edge running, the other has an edge passing.....I'm going with the player most capable of making a 3rd and 8 or 3rd and 15 pass completions to keep the sticks moving. It's usually not as simple as this however and I concede that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this. Though the ability to break big plays rushing can be a game changer...so can completing those 3rd or 4th and long throws. Of the two I value the latter slightly more than the former. Having a Calvin Johnson or Demarius Bilbo on the field might skew me back in the other direction.

I would be willing to bet that we see both JJ and LJ on the field at the same time in the near future.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Only one guy has any "typical performance" that matters and he didn't even play in the spring game. Looking good in practice is one thing, looking good in a real game against a defense not wearing white and gold is a whole Nother.

Technically, I wouldn't say that any QB, even MJ that I assume you are referencing, has a "typical performance" with respect to performance in games. My comment was regarding CPJ's comments on how they had performed in practice. We totally agree that "looking good in practice and looking good in a game..." are not synonymous but that is only a cliché. Looking good in practice is important. Do you think CPJ discounts practice performance so glibly or does he see it as a way to project game performance?

Practice is no guarantor of game success but it is certainly a major component for how coaches determine capabilities and decide who they think should play "in a game". When CPJ states they may be the deepest position, and that he would be comfortable with playing all 4 of them, then I feel good about that position.