Spring game talk

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is such a fun discussion to have! When I got to Tech, Tevin was the starter, and although he definitely maximized his abilities, his ceiling was fairly low compared to some of the other QBs we've had. CPJ has come so far with recruiting! To think that we have several QBs on the roster that probably would have started over Tevin really speaks to our improvements as a program.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is such a fun discussion to have! When I got to Tech, Tevin was the starter, and although he definitely maximized his abilities, his ceiling was fairly low compared to some of the other QBs we've had. CPJ has come so far with recruiting! To think that we have several QBs on the roster that probably would have started over Tevin really speaks to our improvements as a program.
Tevin Washington had his limits. But he also -- in my inexpert opinion -- was the best option read/pitch QB Johnson has had at Tech. Through Johnson's nine years here, Washington has been the only player I can say who absolutely maxed out his ability. It would be hard for me to name one other athlete in any sport I could say that about. Tech got 100% of his 80% ability every single down. As a result and despite Johnson forthrightly opening the competition to all comers, nobody could displace him. I got a feeling these new fellows might have had much the same problem. Different result perhaps, but it would have been a dog fight, and I'm not sure I would put money against him. And I wasn't even a fan of his for a long time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We don't know much about real time reads for anybody but MJ right now. You have to be more than just a great athlete to play qb in this system.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Idk if they would have started over tevin, maybe later in their careers, but at this point I doubt it. We always look at QB's in our system (really any system) and try to see what they did so good, and people miss the biggest thing with Tevin, it wasn't speed, arm, or shiftiness, but it was ability to read the plays and make the right decision. If we had him with this team now he would probably be the starter, and imo could win 9 plus games with the supporting cast around him.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The good thing about the QB discussion in this thread is that nobody is bashing MJ. A dwag friend of mine said half their fan base has anointed Jake Fromm the new golden boy and trashes Eason.

IMO folks are just (rightfully) excited by the potential of each QB on the depth chart.

The discussion is fun, for sure, but we all know deep down that CPJ will make the right call come September in order to win ballgames. He will move a guy or two, most likely, and it will be very exciting to see what direction our O will take under the eventual starter. I love the JfN type of spread option we could see with MJ! I love the type of JeT spread option we could see with JJ/TM! I love the VL type of spread option we could see with LJ!

Gonna be fun.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The good thing about the QB discussion in this thread is that nobody is bashing MJ. A dwag friend of mine said half their fan base has anointed Jake Fromm the new golden boy and trashes Eason.

Gonna be fun.

We had that with the TeamVad fanboys in 2012.

People still down play TWs effectiveness as we just saw.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Tevin Washington had his limits. But he also -- in my inexpert opinion -- was the best option read/pitch QB Johnson has had at Tech. Through Johnson's nine years here, Washington has been the only player I can say who absolutely maxed out his ability. It would be hard for me to name one other athlete in any sport I could say that about. Tech got 100% of his 80% ability every single down. As a result and despite Johnson forthrightly opening the competition to all comers, nobody could displace him. I got a feeling these new fellows might have had much the same problem. Different result perhaps, but it would have been a dog fight, and I'm not sure I would put money against him. And I wasn't even a fan of his for a long time.
I would be very excited to have Tevin with this group of skill guys.

Jmonty71

Banned
I'll be honest. I saw a struggling offense. Either our defense REALLY improved or our offense has really suffered a set back.

Things I liked.
The defense had a lot better pursuit to them.
The defense had a little more bite into their attack.
The set up, looked like a cover 1, seemed pretty strong.
The QB future looks like we have some athletic folks in line
The O line seemed to cover the gaps, during blitzes very well.

Things that concern me.
The defense again, missed a number of tackles
The defense seems to have issues in the secondary
The offensive line did not seem as strong, as I thought they would be
The QB spot looks to me unclaimed, at this point
Their is little to WR experience

Overall, I think unless I missed something, I foresee a struggling offense with a defense that will struggle to keep points off the board.

Time will tell.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The offensive line did not seem as strong, as I thought they would be

No Shamire = less depth. Will goes off with inury = even less depth. Incoming freshman or two that will probably contribute, IMO.

Their is little to WR experience

No RJ or BS = pretty significant. JH-A went off with injury. Camp made some plays. WR will be as strong as it's ever been, IMO.

Forgot to add... no CL, limited DM.

Imagine any of those QBs with our starting OL from the VT game (which is what it will be), then add RJ, BS, DM, CL and another AB.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Here we go again. I had an IE professor at Tech tell me that all problems can be stated as a distribution problem. Too many, too few, wrong kind, wrong time, etc. It's also true of GT football and basketball. I've always wondered what would have happened if Tom Hammonds had come to Tech a year earlier and been on the '85 team. Or a year later and been on the '90 team. If Jerry Mays had come to Tech a year later and been on the '90 football team. If Calvin Johnson had been here with Friedgen. Our '06 football defense with our '09 offense. I'm sure you can think of others. I wouldn't say any of them were wasted, but they would have carried GT to much higher highs just a year or two later or sooner. Now look what CPJ has gone and done. He's ramped up his recruiting, and there is talent that will have to sit on the bench that we could have dearly used in '15, '13, '12. No wonder FSU, uga, and other factory fans are such *******s. They have to watch very good players waste away on the bench every year while we until now were getting to cherish any talent that came our way. And it's not going to get any better with the class that CPJ has coming this summer, especially with DB's.

I went back and watched the spring game yesterday. LJ is a QB. JJ will make every player on the offense better. If it's anywhere close as to who is the best qb, then LJ gets the ball from center, and JJ gets the ball from LJ.

Remember that Mills is from that same class along with Camp, Braun, Cooper, and Adams. The class before them was pretty damn good, too. Something obviously changed in recruiting in '14. Please, Lord, let me live at least another few football seasons to see what's coming because I for sure saw some bad ones.

IMO folks are just (rightfully) excited by the potential of each QB on the depth chart.

The discussion is fun, for sure, but we all know deep down that CPJ will make the right call come September in order to win ballgames. He will move a guy or two, most likely, and it will be very exciting to see what direction our O will take under the eventual starter. I love the JfN type of spread option we could see with MJ! I love the type of JeT spread option we could see with JJ/TM! I love the VL type of spread option we could see with LJ!

Gonna be fun.
The mutts have a new "golden boy" every year, and the results are always the same......underperformance and mediocrity in the SEC Least

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Please tell me what makes you think Candeto wasn't a great athlete?
Watching -- on TC obviously -- him run the same offense. Adequate passer, good runner but not great high end speed and not particularly quick or shifty or adept at making tacklers miss. Good reads and power running, though, and he got into the hole quickly. No problem at all with him as the QB, obviously, just wouldn't make many all-athletic teams. Johnson has had lots of guys play QB for him who were not outstanding athletes. It's the option read, always the option read.

SlawDog

Banned
Watching -- on TC obviously -- him run the same offense. Adequate passer, good runner but not great high end speed and not particularly quick or shifty or adept at making tacklers miss. Good reads and power running, though, and he got into the hole quickly. No problem at all with him as the QB, obviously, just wouldn't make many all-athletic teams. Johnson has had lots of guys play QB for him who were not outstanding athletes. It's the option read, always the option read.
"The Deland, Fla., native was a two-sport prep star, earning the 1999 6A Florida State High School Player of the Year award. He also earned first-team all-state in football and baseball."

I also hear he had a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time (y)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
"The Deland, Fla., native was a two-sport prep star, earning the 1999 6A Florida State High School Player of the Year award. He also earned first-team all-state in football and baseball."

I also hear he had a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time (y)
Apparently I broke somebody's toy, but I assure you it was unintentional. Lots of guys win lots of HS awards and are not particularly good "athletes" as they might be defined. Tevin Washington won a bunch of stuff at Wetumpka, and i thought he was great -- first rate -- with the option, though I didn't consider him an outstanding athlete. Didn't keep him from an outstanding career, but he had a very low ceiling. It's why they race horses I suppose. Which raises the question: was Secretariat a great athlete? Kidding, kidding. But some said he was.

SlawDog

Banned
Apparently I broke somebody's toy, but I assure you it was unintentional. Lots of guys win lots of HS awards and are not particularly good "athletes" as they might be defined. Tevin Washington won a bunch of stuff at Wetumpka, and i thought he was great -- first rate -- with the option, though I didn't consider him an outstanding athlete. Didn't keep him from an outstanding career, but he had a very low ceiling. It's why they race horses I suppose. Which raises the question: was Secretariat a great athlete? Kidding, kidding. But some said he was.

Nice back peddling. Tevin Washington wasn't an all state two sport athlete. You have now gone from 'great' to 'outstanding'. Yeah, he had a very low ceiling. He just passed and rushed for a thousand yards in a single season in Spread offense.
It's ok man. I understand people have their perceptions of what an athlete is supposed to look like. I'm hear to tell you that it's not cool to buy in to those stereotypes. Candeto was a hell of an athlete whether you want to admit it or not.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Nice back peddling. Tevin Washington wasn't an all state two sport athlete. You have now gone from 'great' to 'outstanding'. Yeah, he had a very low ceiling. He just passed and rushed for a thousand yards in a single season in Spread offense.
It's ok man. I understand people have their perceptions of what an athlete is supposed to look like. I'm hear to tell you that it's not cool to buy in to those stereotypes. Candeto was a hell of an athlete whether you want to admit it or not.
The best option quarterbacks i think i ever saw were Dee Dowis of Air Force and Jamelle Holloway,JC Watts and Thomas Lott of Oklahoma