Spring game talk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
In the QB discussion, no one has yet mentioned that we have Tobias Oliver coming in this Fall. I would be surprised if we keep 5 scholarship QBs at QB through the whole season. A few years ago, Vad and Synjyn were competing for #2 QB for a few games before Synjyn moved to A-Back. Before that David Sims was moved to B-Back even though he really wanted to still be QB.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
In the QB discussion, no one has yet mentioned that we have Tobias Oliver coming in this Fall. I would be surprised if we keep 5 scholarship QBs at QB through the whole season. A few years ago, Vad and Synjyn were competing for #2 QB for a few games before Synjyn moved to A-Back. Before that David Sims was moved to B-Back even though he really wanted to still be QB.

Good call I forgot him.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

I can't recall a time in CPJs tenure when we've had more than 3 scholarship QBs not counting redshirts. Tobias could redshirt but I bet he's not thinking that. Last season we had 3 plus the 2 redshirts.

And yes it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Technically, I wouldn't say that any QB, even MJ that I assume you are referencing, has a "typical performance" with respect to performance in games. My comment was regarding CPJ's comments on how they had performed in practice. We totally agree that "looking good in practice and looking good in a game..." are not synonymous but that is only a cliché. Looking good in practice is important. Do you think CPJ discounts practice performance so glibly or does he see it as a way to project game performance?

Practice is no guarantor of game success but it is certainly a major component for how coaches determine capabilities and decide who they think should play "in a game". When CPJ states they may be the deepest position, and that he would be comfortable with playing all 4 of them, then I feel good about that position.
The real comparison starts when the all get game reps. Some guys are practice heros, game time duds.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Tobias is coming in with the mindset that he can start, and who's to say that he can't. He looks like a very talented runner, and he made some circus pitches in his film. And there is nothing but high praise from people around him can't be bad.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Some might be moved. It's certainly possible. But the depth of talent at the skill positions is much improved from back then. Might move a QB or 2 just to see them ride the pine. If they have QB potential that would be a waste of their time in system. If we had holes to fill at WR, AB, BB....then ya make the move, give em some PT and let them help the team.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Meant to post this sooner as I was thinking of it Live. Thanks to @Longestday for the gif.

georgia-tech-scores-late-against-georgia-southern.gif

Deleted member 2897

On having 5 QBs, if Tobias can't get into the top 2, you can bet he will redshirt. Of the others 4, only TaQuon is not injured. Jay Jones' ankle (IIRC) was so tweaked CPJ wasn't even sure he would see the field. MJ is out for multiple months. We'll worry about that problem if it's still there in 4 more months.

We are SO deep at AB, BB, and WR that I don't think any of them could move. I'd rather they not play and continue to focus 100% on their own QB position. With our luck with injuries and transfers the last few years, I would be shocked if we have all 4 of these QBs a year from now and that they've been all uninjured. These things tend to take care of themselves.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we're starting to see the number of transfers increase because we're starting to build depth across the board. If guys are leaving because they're buried on the depth chart, that's a good thing, imo. Personally, I'd wish they'd stick it out, improve themselves and compete. But the cause, depth, is a very good thing.

It's something factories deal with constantly and it's why they take such large classes year after year. I think we'll see our average class size increase, as well.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just think Paul likes Jay Jones alot. But, he won't let that overrule common sense on who is the best starter for his team today.

However, I really believe this summer and fall camp Paul will truly evaluate who has come along, and the competition in fall will be far more open than we all think.

Now, MJ will have the hand up, just because of obvious reasons, so he will get the best shot to win, but if someone else makes a jump you never know!

but for me just the way paul talks about Jones....he just seems to like what he can bring to the table. But he needs to get better in the system.

If MJ is our starter...our O will be a smash unit. Its going to be way more physical in playcalling I think; alot of inside stuff with midlines, QB follows, inside veers. A guy like Jones will be called more like with JT.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Almost could go change of pace with MJ and another QB. Would make preparation a nightmare. VT seemed caught off guard/unprepared for us with MJ at the helm.

With respect to transfers you'd like to see a kid move to another position and get that valuable GT degree.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tobias is coming in with the mindset that he can start, and who's to say that he can't. He looks like a very talented runner, and he made some circus pitches in his film. And there is nothing but high praise from people around him can't be bad.
You have to applaud that mindset, too.