Spring Game Postgame Thread

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 5696
I have never experienced an atmosphere like last night at a GT spring game. Usually my wife and kids are asking when will it end. We absolutely had a blast. Love the culture CGC has brought to the flats. Loved the energy! Overwhelmed with joy. Breath of fresh air.

Agree with you. It definitely felt different all the way around. Good looking family.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The good - nice turnout and spirited crowd, some nice offensive football on display. This offense, much like Johnson's is QB dependent, and we will only be as good as our QB is. We have some good QB's but not one that is championship caliber right now. The line was good at times. The receivers looked to be much better than past years. The band was rocking and in mid season form. The National anthem was great.

The bad - incessant lousy music throughout the entire game. As my old friend, Doggy used to say, "For God's sake play some Lynard Skynard!" The defense looked uninspired and I hope they were instructed to take it easy for they surely looked like they were taking the night off. Defensive line looked pedestrian. The running backs, who appear talented, were rarely featured. We have a log jam there and unless something changes we will be wasting a significant part of our talent.

The ugly - those gold uniforms were butt ugly. It looked like a bunch of tamales running around out there. I pray that was a bad experiment that will be flushed. Those would make good bonfire material.

Looks like it will take a few years to see if the Collins era will be a success or just another passing fancy. I would advise him to focus on the defense where he has a track record for producing aggressive, solid performance. If what I saw last night is where we are right now of defense, he best get to work and teach these boys how to get to the ball and bring some wood. The offense has potential but looks to be wasting a lot of the running back game. We need to be able to make a yard down in the red zone and to me it looks like we are setting up to emulate the Falcons who can't run the ball at all in short yardage situations.

Well regardless, I will be there rooting for the Yellow Jackets come hell or high water.

Go Jackets!

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Gold unies need a lot of work... ugh!

Wreck em photoshopped a navy outline with white pants and they look much better.

https://stingtalk.com/board/attachments/upload_2019-4-26_20-37-15-png.8860/

upload_2019-4-26_20-37-15-png.8860

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If I'm DP I don't know why you seriously wouldn't keep a package of our flexbone with a whole bevy of plays. The players know it, it's smash mouth, and can come in handy. Especially in short yardage since it looks like he may not ever go under center (of course this was just a scrimmage and they didn't wanna show a ton of looks). We were ridiculously vanilla on D and very much so on O as well. We don't want too much tape to be out on us. But why not incorporate a flexbone package with Tobias under center, Benson/Howard/Griffin at BB, and Griffin/Cottrell/Jarrett at AB for certain situations. It would be a great opportunity imho. 2, 3, 4 times a game in short yardage situations. Would give defenses absolute fits after scheming for the spread read option 4 wide attack all game.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. But I wanna see us under center and able to play some power football. You can't win against the big boys going 4 wide and trying to run the ball in short yardage situations from the gun.

Time will tell. I want a true multiple offense. I'm not going to be happy if we never go under center and try to run the zone reads EAST/WEST style running attack without attacking the line of scrimmage. I think it would be super cool to Paul and he could even consult just on a small package of plays. That's how you leverage everything you have at your fingertips, Geoff. Paul can still help us imo.

Simple answer. Limited practice time and not enough reps available to do everything. Particularly for the OL--entirely different formation and stance. It's hard to have enough reps in the new offense without mixing in the old. You will recall that timing in the 3-O was frequently off in early season games.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
The good - nice turnout and spirited crowd, some nice offensive football on display. This offense, much like Johnson's is QB dependent, and we will only be as good as our QB is. We have some good QB's but not one that is championship caliber right now. The line was good at times. The receivers looked to be much better than past years. The band was rocking and in mid season form. The National anthem was great.

The bad - incessant lousy music throughout the entire game. As my old friend, Doggy used to say, "For God's sake play some Lynard Skynard!" The defense looked uninspired and I hope they were instructed to take it easy for they surely looked like they were taking the night off. Defensive line looked pedestrian. The running backs, who appear talented, were rarely featured. We have a log jam there and unless something changes we will be wasting a significant part of our talent.

The ugly - those gold uniforms were butt ugly. It looked like a bunch of tamales running around out there. I pray that was a bad experiment that will be flushed. Those would make good bonfire material.

Looks like it will take a few years to see if the Collins era will be a success or just another passing fancy. I would advise him to focus on the defense where he has a track record for producing aggressive, solid performance. If what I saw last night is where we are right now of defense, he best get to work and teach these boys how to get to the ball and bring some wood. The offense has potential but looks to be wasting a lot of the running back game. We need to be able to make a yard down in the red zone and to me it looks like we are setting up to emulate the Falcons who can't run the ball at all in short yardage situations.

Well regardless, I will be there rooting for the Yellow Jackets come hell or high water.

Go Jackets!

I promise that when they made that playlist the question “would old white men like these songs” not once crossed their mind. Nor should it. It’s for the recruits. You think recruits going to what to listen Lynard Skynard?

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I promise that when they made that playlist the question “would old white men like these songs” not once crossed their mind. Nor should it. It’s for the recruits. You think recruits going to what to listen Lynard Skynard?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Passing game looked better than I expected.

Amen to the need for DL personnel. How much did the weak DL play contribute to the passing game looking good?

Need OL depth too.

As Bobby Ross said in his interview, we need to be patient with the new staff. I'll be happy with a lower tier bowl for 2019.