Spring Game Postgame Thread

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If I'm DP I don't know why you seriously wouldn't keep a package of our flexbone with a whole bevy of plays. The players know it, it's smash mouth, and can come in handy. Especially in short yardage since it looks like he may not ever go under center (of course this was just a scrimmage and they didn't wanna show a ton of looks). We were ridiculously vanilla on D and very much so on O as well. We don't want too much tape to be out on us. But why not incorporate a flexbone package with Tobias under center, Benson/Howard/Griffin at BB, and Griffin/Cottrell/Jarrett at AB for certain situations. It would be a great opportunity imho. 2, 3, 4 times a game in short yardage situations. Would give defenses absolute fits after scheming for the spread read option 4 wide attack all game.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. But I wanna see us under center and able to play some power football. You can't win against the big boys going 4 wide and trying to run the ball in short yardage situations from the gun.

Time will tell. I want a true multiple offense. I'm not going to be happy if we never go under center and try to run the zone reads EAST/WEST style running attack without attacking the line of scrimmage. I think it would be super cool to Paul and he could even consult just on a small package of plays. That's how you leverage everything you have at your fingertips, Geoff. Paul can still help us imo.

Georgia Southern does this exactly even though they stick with the option they have a flexbone package for midline, rocket, and play action off of it. I think they had like a 60 percent touchdwon rate out of the formation

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just got back from the game after sitting in I-75 north traffic for an hour (thanks GDOT). And after I-75 south traffic for an hour on the way down (Thanks bad drivers for the fender bender). Atmosphere was great. Glad to see the Parking lots and lower levels full of people. I was hoping 20,000 or so would show up and we got 21,000+ according to the pa announcer. Pretty good turnout! I knew the 30,000 number would be ambitious. Guys seemed to be playing free and very energetic. This is about 10 or so spring games in a row for my crew I think, but this one felt different. Loved every minute of it. Can’t wait for more.
Just read the post game notes on RR.com and it said we had the third best attended Spring game in the ACC behind only Clemson and F$U. The next closest was Pitt at about 8,700. The thing is F$U announced a crowd of about 30,000 and there may have been 10-15,000 actually there.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
LJ looked like a qb last spring and continued to do so today. I liked how cerebral he looked as he took what the defense allowed and marched downfield time and time. Showed a lot of poise as well.
Graham looks explosive. If he was allowed to run it would have been a different game. I could also clearly see his limitations as far as ready coverage and making the right reads.

Graham made a couple of really nice deep passes, but had some wth passes too, he’s going to be hell in the read-option part of this offense for sure

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Some observations from my mother. She is one who is still much attached to CPJ, and not handling change well. The following seasons are going to be interesting from her lolllll

Comments from mom:

-We’re like Miami now
-They played that rock music that you would like the whole time the band wasn’t playing
-What’s the 404? Nobody I asked knew
-It’s boring football again. Just passing and running

I tried to talk her off her ledge, but it was no use. This is gonna be fun lol she also thinks our coach danced around with the players like “Mark Richt did with his thugs.”

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yea...no. Those were the slickest gold tops we’ve EVER worn besides 2006. And don’t outline the numbers with navy. I think the white block numbers on gold, no stripes, no nothin’. Classy.

Gotta wear white pants though.
First, the color was way off compared to the gold on the helmet (Old Gold). I don’t care what people say about different materials, it was obvious no attempt was made to come close to matching.

Second, white with no outline on that muted baby poop gold is not clean or classy, it’s dumb and zero pop. I sure hope they’re saving the real uni’s for real games, sheesh!

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
First, the color was way off compared to the gold on the helmet (Old Gold). I don’t care what people say about different materials, it was obvious no attempt was made to come close to matching.

Second, white with no outline on that muted baby poop gold is not clean or classy, it’s dumb and zero pop. I sure hope they’re saving the real uni’s for real games, sheesh!

Fairly confident those are the real game jerseys. Sorry.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
To me, the gold jerseys were ok at best. They definitely didn't "pop" from the stands, and I do think the numbers need outlines. I didn't really like the all-gold look at all. It needed something to make it look like more than just a solid-color uniform. Not sure that gold matched the gold pants of the white team; the white team pants seemed shinier, like what we used to have. I still think Adidas has a LONG LONG way to go.
Not enough gold, too much gold. Make your mind up, old man:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Some observations from my mother. She is one who is still much attached to CPJ, and not handling change well. The following seasons are going to be interesting from her lolllll

Comments from mom:

-We’re like Miami now
-They played that rock music that you would like the whole time the band wasn’t playing
-What’s the 404? Nobody I asked knew
-It’s boring football again. Just passing and running

I tried to talk her off her ledge, but it was no use. This is gonna be fun lol she also thinks our coach danced around with the players like “Mark Richt did with his thugs.”
200w.gif

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Funny but true. I would’ve loved this stuff 20 years ago. Now, I must admit I initially had the “get off my lawn...” reflex.

Ultimately though, we need to give it a chance. Definitely has been a shot in the arm to our team, alumni, and fan base. there is a bright line between the thuggery of Rev Richt and what we are doing with our guys having fun. I have confidence in our guys that we won’t cross that line.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
If I'm DP I don't know why you seriously wouldn't keep a package of our flexbone with a whole bevy of plays. The players know it, it's smash mouth, and can come in handy. Especially in short yardage since it looks like he may not ever go under center (of course this was just a scrimmage and they didn't wanna show a ton of looks). We were ridiculously vanilla on D and very much so on O as well. We don't want too much tape to be out on us. But why not incorporate a flexbone package with Tobias under center, Benson/Howard/Griffin at BB, and Griffin/Cottrell/Jarrett at AB for certain situations. It would be a great opportunity imho. 2, 3, 4 times a game in short yardage situations. Would give defenses absolute fits after scheming for the spread read option 4 wide attack all game.

Maybe I'm overthinking it. But I wanna see us under center and able to play some power football. You can't win against the big boys going 4 wide and trying to run the ball in short yardage situations from the gun.

Time will tell. I want a true multiple offense. I'm not going to be happy if we never go under center and try to run the zone reads EAST/WEST style running attack without attacking the line of scrimmage. I think it would be super cool to Paul and he could even consult just on a small package of plays. That's how you leverage everything you have at your fingertips, Geoff. Paul can still help us imo.
Ah. Having flashbacks to Friedgens offense on the flats.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Easy now. You gonna be labeled a hater in not “all in,” ;)