Spring Game Postgame Thread

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
The band uses the spring game to give new members a chance to practice before their audition to be drum major. So it’s important for the band program to be there. Even if it’s drowned out.

I was sitting in lower west right about the 40 yard line on the southern side of the field and there were a bunch of times I could hear the band just fine (and commented to my family that they sounded pretty good).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Because they don’t play in a vacuum. QB’s gotta have time to throw, RB’s have to have lanes, etc.

I’m expecting the OL to struggle for a little while. Hope I’m wrong.
Right. I agree with that too. But the comment was in response to the question about whether our QB's, RB's, and WR's were good enough to play. The answer is a resounding "yes" they're good enough to compete with this system. As you point out, without the big boys pushing or blocking in front, they won't be successful, but without a stout OL, no skill guys would be successful. So the comment about the OL wasn't relevant to the original post.

In other words, why would we need to pump the brakes with regards to the QB/RB/WR? They have shown that they can be successful. Whether they will on not will be a team effort, but no need to pump the brakes on those particular players. Why not get excited about our skill players?

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
People saying we’re fine at QB, RB, and WR need to pump the brakes a little. It starts up front. If we can’t block, we’re not going anywhere.

I said we’re fine at RB. I did not say we are fine at OL. Clearly QB, WR, and RB don’t mean a lot if we can’t protect.

Definitely share your concerns there. After the starting 5, we get really thin really fast. Also big question marks at DL. We shall see how players develop and if we can bring in new hosses. I get excited by any DL or OL commit lately because we need them in a bad way.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
What I saw last night:

1 QB's showed they have touch to put the ball where it needs to be. Lucas and Lantz showed the best touch, but Graham had some pretty throws too. On that one throw late in the 3rd qtr, Lucas unloaded a 3 and long thrown where the receiver got tangled up and the throw was long. That was an absolute rifle shot. I had to replay it several times to verify there wasn't a glitch in the film with the velocity of that throw. Lucas has a cannon. There were bad throws by both Lucas and Graham, but we can definitely pass.

2. Our receivers can create separation and can catch the ball. I saw great catches by Brown, Sanders, Camp, and Dolphus. I saw some bad adjustments and some great adjustments. I saw strong hands. If our DB's are truly our strength and are as good as touted in coverage, then we've got receivers that will be special.

3. Our OL did alright. The defense wasn't giving them too much to think about, so that made it easier, but they seemed to stay in front of their guys.

4. Several of the "sacks" last night might have been huge plays by our running QB's. If the D got close to the QB, it was ruled a sack. That's not going to happen with a lot of those plays from last night.

5. The running backs didn't appear to be tearing it up last night, but every time they needed to get positive yardage, our RB's were getting positive yards and moving the sticks.

Let's not forget what yesterday was. It was an exhibition of the new offense for the fans, the student body, the media, and mostly the recruits. CGC wanted to send a clear message to the recruits about what type of team GT is moving towards, and I think that message was clear last night. I really enjoyed watching the guys moving around the field with energy and excitement.

This is where you start sounding like "only people wearing white and gold are acceptable" which is pretty condescending and incredibly off-putting to other people who'd like to be fans. Personally, as I've said elsewhere, I'll take all the fans that want to come and watch the game. If they've got white and gold attire that they like and will wear it then that's awesome. If they don't but still would like to come and scream their heads off for the Yellow Jackets then I'll welcome them with open arms and won't spend any time berating them for not wearing white and gold (so long as the colors don't represent my arch rival; that's not cool at all).
I didn't say a thing about the fans or anybody else involved. I simply said that if they are going to sell a "White and Gold Game", then they ought to support that nomenclature, and not dilute it with extraneous crap.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Right. I agree with that too. But the comment was in response to the question about whether our QB's, RB's, and WR's were good enough to play. The answer is a resounding "yes" they're good enough to compete with this system. As you point out, without the big boys pushing or blocking in front, they won't be successful, but without a stout OL, no skill guys would be successful. So the comment about the OL wasn't relevant to the original post.

In other words, why would we need to pump the brakes with regards to the QB/RB/WR? They have shown that they can be successful. Whether they will on not will be a team effort, but no need to pump the brakes on those particular players. Why not get excited about our skill players?

Agree with this. QB, RB and WR are better than expected. I think most people understand that our OL need development.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
1. I did not like the gold jersys at all without outlines on the numbers. Color OK.
2. We learned one thing for sure. We cannot play scoring offense out of the gun inside the 5. Only 1 of 8 on extra points and that was a run with the option pitch. Depressing! I hope that changes.
3. Way too much passing just put us in 3rd and long too much. Must have set a record for 3rd and more than 10.
4. Cannot really judge Graham. He was stopped often with the whistle after a touch and most times he looked like he could escape for a big play. He also had walk-ons and very inexperienced OL all night.
5. We seem to have plenty of playmaking depth at RB and WR and CB and several players shined. Safeties looked solid.
6. Our OL ATL crushed the DL ATL early in the scrimmage. It evened out more when the substituting in the line started.
7. I was surprised how many players did not participate (at least 6 to 8). Johns was in a knee scooter and the rest I saw were in shorts. I did not see T Oliver or T Davis at all.
8. We played a host of people at center but I did not see Cooper or Scott Morgan there.
9. Lantz, probably our #4 QB, played extremely well and delivered some nice passes under pressure. He did not excell however as a runner.
10. L Johnson showed a knack for hitting a RB or the TE over the middle on scramble plays to keep drives going. The other QBs were heaving a lot for the long score...and hit some!
11. Lot of positives and lots of negatives. A big step would be to have a short yardage and near the goal offense out of a power formation with the QB under center. Ideal for T Oliver.
12. TEs were not a disaster. Cooksey caught several key passes. I saw Tukes catch one. Macrina played a lot and looked the part.
13. Surprise players for me were Sanders, D. Smith, Lantz, A Brown, Cooksey, and Jarrett. Several players had a really good game but no surprise (RBs, WRs, and CBs + J Thomas)

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

Several posters made comments to the effect of “our QB/WR/RB will be fine” (after a Spring Game where the defense is severely limited, mind you).

Seems pretty innocuous for me to essentially add the caveat of: If our Oline comes together and can execute new blocking schemes, they will be.

Until that happens, and until we play in real, live action, we can’t really proclaim that “our QB/WR/RB will be fine.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Several posters made comments to the effect of “our QB/WR/RB will be fine” (after a Spring Game where the defense is severely limited, mind you).

Seems pretty innocuous for me to essentially add the caveat of: If our Oline comes together and can execute new blocking schemes, they will be.

Until that happens, and until we play in real, live action, we can’t really proclaim that “our QB/WR/RB will be fine.

And the internet continues.....

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say a thing about the fans or anybody else involved. I simply said that if they are going to sell a "White and Gold Game", then they ought to support that nomenclature, and not dilute it with extraneous crap.

While waiting for my wife, I was standing near the student t-shirt distribution pregame for about 10 minutes. Saw no fewer than 25-30 grown men/women (some not so politely) trying to coax Ramblin Wreck Club members to give them a shirt. Seemed to be pretty popular, and did not hear the words "extraneous crap." I have bought/received 8 gold adidas items in the past year. Seems like they've pushed it an appropriate amount.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Okay, I'm not trying to correct you. Just pointing out how what you said came across to me. By adding the comment about the OL, you've changed the whold discussion from the skill players to the whole offense. That's not what people were getting excited about. The skill guys, especially some of the QB's and most of the WR's, really showed skills last night. You could see Lucas going through his progressions quickly and dumping off to the RB or the TE when the receivers weren't open. You could see the WR's adjust their routes and go up and get the 50:50 balls. Things to be excited about.

My point was that there has been a question since last December about whether we had the QB, RB's, and WR's to play within this system. After watching the receivers catch the difficult throws, the QB's make the difficult throws and the RB's make good football moves to make positive yards, I don't think the QB's, RB's, and WR's are still a question mark. They can definitely play and be successful in this system. Of course, they won't be successful if there aren't OL guys blocking and opening lanes. But that has nothing to do with the skill players.

So, I'm not going to pump the brakes with respect to the abilities of our skill guys (which I think we were all a little apprehensive about), I'm actually heartened. I am still apprehensive about our OL because I don't think what we saw last night showed us anything about their ability to get it done in this system. Yes there was a lot of scoring, but that had more to do with the hancuffing the defense than the offense dominating.

If your point was to pump the brakes about the offense in general, I don't think anyone's arguing there. My excitement is that the QB's and WR's showed out. I'm cautiously optimistic the OL will progress.

While waiting for my wife, I was standing near the student t-shirt distribution pregame for about 10 minutes. Saw no fewer than 25-30 grown men/women (some not so politely) trying to coax Ramblin Wreck Club members to give them a shirt. Seemed to be pretty popular, and did not hear the words "extraneous crap." I have bought/received 8 gold adidas items in the past year. Seems like they've pushed it an appropriate amount.
Some people will do anything in order to get something for free, even if it means pushing against an advantage designed for others.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
had a great time but traffic sucked big time on l-75 coming home
Thanks to the GDOT for closing Lanes on 75 North... Braves game, GT Spring Game... Hate to think they'd want to coordinate ... Maybe delay closing 3 lanes until 11PM should not have been too much to ask.

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Thanks to the GADOT for closing Lanes on 75 North... Braves game, GT Spring Game... Hate to think they'd want to coordinate ... Maybe delay closing 3 lanes until 11PM should not have been too much to ask.

Amen. That delayed me about a half hour getting back up to Kennesaw.