Spring Game 2020

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I reordered my season tickets but I don't think CGC is that dumb not to care about losing season ticket holders. He talks about Bobby Dodd Stadium being full , I was at every game last year Yes even the uga game . Attendance was bad at all the games I doubt that at any game we had over 38,000 tech fans at the game. Hard to sell an empty Stadium to recruits , I say he does care. And 1/2 the,people around me are not getting tickets this year. And the funny part its the older one like me who are getting them. The new ones than last year was their first year said they would not. You may not care but than I have my doubts that you are a real fan.
I’ve lost count, is that 38 years for you? You’ve had some really good folks around you. I remember sitting next to you during a UGA loss. Which we know the streak is about 10 games now at home. Hope your Daughter is doing well.

He’s probably okay with losing those kinds of fans as he’s gaining a different demographic of fans and I don’t blame him. Listen to what you just said and apply it to yourself hypothetically. Are you really a fan of GT if you cut and run because you don’t like what the current coach is selling. Good riddance to everyone of those horrible fans. Our fan base is undergoing a major overhaul and it’s a great thing. We’re gonna lose some bad fans but who tf cares.
The question yet to be answered is whether he is actually gaining a different demographic of fans. Yes, he is trying to apparently, but IS HE ACTUALLY GAINING THEM?

Milwaukee

Banned
I reordered my season tickets but I don't think CGC is that dumb not to care about losing season ticket holders. He talks about Bobby Dodd Stadium being full , I was at every game last year Yes even the uga game . Attendance was bad at all the games I doubt that at any game we had over 38,000 tech fans at the game. Hard to sell an empty Stadium to recruits , I say he does care. And 1/2 the,people around me are not getting tickets this year. And the funny part its the older one like me who are getting them. The new ones than last year was their first year said they would not. You may not care but than I have my doubts that you are a real fan.

We’ve covered this repeatedly. Does he want the stadium full? Of course. But he knows it’s not gonna be full with our current base, so he wants a whole new crop of fans with a different vibe who are much better fans. You’ve already mentioned in previous posts about those supposed people not coming back this year and I’ve already mentioned that they’re not real fans of GT. He will build a new fan base with time, the current abysmal attendance and fan base isn’t hurting his recruiting in case you’re not paying attention. Give him time to get new and better fans to replace the sorry ones and then we’re cooking. Tell your friends he says bye next time you see them.

Milwaukee

Banned
The question yet to be answered is whether he is actually gaining a different demographic of fans. Yes, he is trying to apparently, but IS HE ACTUALLY GAINING THEM?

Give it time Super. If his plan works then the new fan base will be larger and better. Will it be this year? Not a chance. The purge is in full effect and it’s a good thing for Georgia Tech long term.

Give it time Super. If his plan works then the new fan base will be larger and better. Will it be this year? Not a chance. The purge is in full effect and it’s a good thing for Georgia Tech long term.
I HOPE you are right, but he can't take too long. But I don't like your use of the word "purge". I don't think we should have to purge the fan base while attempting to gain a new one. Do a little something to appease and appeal to the old one too.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We’ve covered this repeatedly. Does he want the stadium full? Of course. But he knows it’s not gonna be full with our current base, so he wants a whole new crop of fans with a different vibe who are much better fans. You’ve already mentioned in previous posts about those supposed people not coming back this year and I’ve already mentioned that they’re not real fans of GT. He will build a new fan base with time, the current abysmal attendance and fan base isn’t hurting his recruiting in case you’re not paying attention. Give him time to get new and better fans to replace the sorry ones and then we’re cooking. Tell your friends he says bye next time you see them.
I see it different than you he wants the old season ticket holders to stay. But he wants to build in walk up fans in hopes that they will in time buy season tickets. But it helps to win or play a great schedule. He will win and I hope they come but time we till. With this strategy you have to be careful or you will have a fan base like the Falcon stop winning they stop coming.

Milwaukee

Banned
With this strategy you have to be careful or you will have a fan base like the Falcon stop winning they stop coming.

But you’ve already said dozens of people you know aren’t coming back because of the bad year, you mentioned that in a separate thread. Now you’re saying that only some new fans won’t be renewing because of Collins’ style. Sounds pretty much like the Falcons base you referenced above. Like I said, tell those people bye next time you see them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
But you’ve already said dozens of people you know aren’t coming back because of the bad year, you mentioned that in a separate thread. Now you’re saying that only some new fans won’t be renewing because of Collins’ style. Sounds pretty much like the Falcons base you referenced above. Like I said, tell those people bye next time you see them.
I said some would not maybe half , really don't understand why you try and make up somethings , I didn't say they didn't like his ( CGC style ) hell I don't know his style , about all I heard them say was our offense was pathetic and they would not spend money next year to see it ,which last year it was bad.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck

Do you think this is true? CGC is trying to run off fans?

I have a different perspective.

As a head coach he needs attendance to sell his vision.

He needs the "old fart" fans for season ticket sales and donations. I don't for a minute think he does not believe the older fan base is critical. And I do not believe he is intentionally trying to run fans off. The reason folks are threatening to not buy season tickets is because the product on the field, quite frankly, stunk it up. I suspect some of the folks that said after the Ugag game they were done, will be back next year.

Who noticed the sideline was more focused as the season progressed. I do not have any metric, and this is just personal observation, which of course is very subjective, but the sideline antics seemed to fade after mid season. Possibly acknowledging some of the "old fart" complaints.

The majority of the "abysmal attendance and fan base" are alumni. If you think running them off is somehow a good thing, I disagree. Alumni are the life blood of the institution and the athletic programs. It does not make sense to denigrate them and run them off. If that is CGC's intent I believe he is making a big mistake.

Milwaukee, I have read many of your posts and agree with some of you comments. But there are not thousands of sidewalk fans that are going to replace the current fan base. If you can come up with a way to attract these new, non alumni, fans please let us know. And the athletic department.

Milwaukee

Banned
Do you think this is true? CGC is trying to run off fans?

I have a different perspective.

As a head coach he needs attendance to sell his vision.

He needs the "old fart" fans for season ticket sales and donations. I don't for a minute think he does not believe the older fan base is critical. And I do not believe he is intentionally trying to run fans off. The reason folks are threatening to not buy season tickets is because the product on the field, quite frankly, stunk it up. I suspect some of the folks that said after the Ugag game they were done, will be back next year.

Who noticed the sideline was more focused as the season progressed. I do not have any metric, and this is just personal observation, which of course is very subjective, but the sideline antics seemed to fade after mid season. Possibly acknowledging some of the "old fart" complaints.

The majority of the "abysmal attendance and fan base" are alumni. If you think running them off is somehow a good thing, I disagree. Alumni are the life blood of the institution and the athletic programs. It does not make sense to denigrate them and run them off. If that is CGC's intent I believe he is making a big mistake.

Milwaukee, I have read many of your posts and agree with some of you comments. But there are not thousands of sidewalk fans that are going to replace the current fan base. If you can come up with a way to attract these new, non alumni, fans please let us know. And the athletic department.

I wouldn’t be sensitive to the new direction, as most here are good fans who actually will go and support regardless of coach or performance. We just hear people talk (not just Stech, there was another poster in a different thread as well) about supposed masses of other people that aren’t here and how they’re not going to support because of Collins’ first year. It’s beyond ridiculous. You’re oversimplifying by stating that my stance is Collins is intentionally running off people. Nobody said that to my knowledge. But I can guarantee you that if these dozens of people, whether fictional or not, are no longer supporting GT because of what Collins’ is “selling” or the poor record last year then he doesn’t give a damn, because he wants to bring in a better fan in place of those hypothetical losers. Those fans are already gone and aren’t true to begin with. He didn’t run them off nor did he intend to, they just are what they are. He’s most likely saying good riddance to that hypothetical crowd. Not sure how much clearer I can be.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Yes she doing fine how is your son?
We keep the Doctors in business, pretty much like your Grandson. Always keep you wonderful folks in our prayers. Hope it doesn’t rain for the Spring Game. I’m a jinx.

C.J. keeps me too close to the Band, always away from our regular seats. At least First Aid is not far in that end zone. In a few years, that will be where they put me at for those Noon games. Lol. Chris Moore is the best Band Director in the world. Like yourself, a true YellowJacket from another school and a great, genuine guy.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I loved CPJ and also am a big fan of CGC. What exactly made CPJ so much more fan friendly? That he diddn’t publicize the program much? I would also note that as a fan based, we don’t show up even when we are winning. I think that was one of the issues during CPJ era. He won and didn’t really make a difference to fans, they still didn’t show up, increase spending. A lot of this has to do with trends going on throughout all sports and especially college football. Sad to say, but even when CGC wins I don’t expect the stadium to be full. Clemson doesn’t even sell out now a days. The main thing winning will do is help tv ratings, which is what ultimately matters most.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I loved CPJ and also am a big fan of CGC. What exactly made CPJ so much more fan friendly? That he diddn’t publicize the program much? I would also note that as a fan based, we don’t show up even when we are winning. I think that was one of the issues during CPJ era. He won and didn’t really make a difference to fans, they still didn’t show up, increase spending. A lot of this has to do with trends going on throughout all sports and especially college football. Sad to say, but even when CGC wins I don’t expect the stadium to be full. Clemson doesn’t even sell out now a days. The main thing winning will do is help tv ratings, which is what ultimately matters most.

This is a huge part of attendance problems. When I was growing up you had to go to the games or find a radio, there was no “ what TV network has the game this weekend”. Yes there were TV games but about 4 each year. I remember having to listen to Tech lose to Furman back under Bill Lewis ( I think ) on the radio. Now a days we watch them lose to The Citadel on regional TV coverage as if it’s expected to be on TV.

As much as I love football and Tech it’s very convenient to sit in my living room and watch the games. The food is way cheaper, the beer - well there’s beer, no bathroom lines and no parking fees and no ATL traffic.

Add to the equation that TV contracts are rapidly financially replacing most programs needs for fans in the seats and this is why attendance is falling. Heck when you are at the games you still have to endure TV timeouts, where everyone stands around on the field waiting for the play signal.

I have to admit that several years back a friend offered me tickets to the Ga game and I declined them, I just didn’t want to get up at 8am and deal with traffic in ATL when I could get up at 10am, do some chores and be in my living room at 12n

Sign of the times

slugboy

Staff member
Regarding the date—I work with marketing people at my company a lot. Aside from Christmas , thanksgiving, Easter, and Independence Day, events get scheduled during special times frequently. If it’s not Good Friday, it’s the NBA all star game or something else. Calendars are jammed now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but this is sadly too typical of a world which has forgotten, or never learned about, traditions and history.

I don't practice christianity. I've heard of it but didn't know what it was for or anything. I'm not interested in it other than it possibly giving me a day of from work lol.

Apologies if my religious beliefs offend anyone.
You have totally misunderstood me. I am not concerned with the fact that he is not familiar with a religious day; it just bothers me that someone is not familiar with a commonly (or at least I thought it was commonly) known day of special interest to some people. There are sadly people in this country that don't know that the 4th of July is commonly known as Independence Day. And there are tons of people who don't know what D-Day is, or even Memorial Day or Veterans Day. The point I obviously did not get across (my fault) is that most people know the significance of special days. I admittedly do not know any Buddhist special days, because frankly, I never hear anybody talking about them or read anything about them. But I do know probably all of the Jewish special days (do you?) and many of the muslim special days (again, do you?). I would have equally bothered if, just to use an example, we were playing the game on Veterans Day, and he said he did not previously know what Veterans Day is. Personally, I have no problem with the game being played on Good Friday and, as I have said several times already, I attended the one several years ago under CPJ. BUT, there ARE some people who either do have a problem with it, or simply cannot attend because of obligations on that day. The overall point I was trying to make in a broader sense (again apparently unsuccessfully) was that we now live in a world where special days and/or traditions, and more tragically both history and current events are totally unknown to some people, and that reflects on either our education system, a non-inquisitive attitude on the part of many people, or even parenting ... or a combination of the three. I find that very sad. And that is all I will have to say on the matter.

I kind of find it a weird tradition in America to have Christmas as a national holiday, but not Hanukkah. Why does one holiday supercede the other? I understand tradition, but it seems off. I know this will offend many.

I find it good to know history. Specifically for how to not repeat it. And what do we as a culture still practice that needs to be improved. Because adaptation is means of survival. As a human race we are afraid of change.

Every time I have been to Clemson, including last Fall, the stadium was full. Was it sold out? I don't know; I haven't seen the figures. But I sure didn't see any empty seats.

This is a huge part of attendance problems. When I was growing up you had to go to the games or find a radio, there was no “ what TV network has the game this weekend”. Yes there were TV games but about 4 each year. I remember having to listen to Tech lose to Furman back under Bill Lewis ( I think ) on the radio. Now a days we watch them lose to The Citadel on regional TV coverage as if it’s expected to be on TV.

As much as I love football and Tech it’s very convenient to sit in my living room and watch the games. The food is way cheaper, the beer - well there’s beer, no bathroom lines and no parking fees and no ATL traffic.

Add to the equation that TV contracts are rapidly financially replacing most programs needs for fans in the seats and this is why attendance is falling. Heck when you are at the games you still have to endure TV timeouts, where everyone stands around on the field waiting for the play signal.

I have to admit that several years back a friend offered me tickets to the Ga game and I declined them, I just didn’t want to get up at 8am and deal with traffic in ATL when I could get up at 10am, do some chores and be in my living room at 12n

Sign of the times
We lost to Furman in '83 and tied them in '86, both years under Curry.