Spring game 2016

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
My take is that the O is going against a D that is improved and the D knows the OL's calls and QB checks..

this is exactly why I see no reason to be excited about the D. When you really look at it, they were out of position alot for their keys, the CBs knew what was happening since our routes are relatively simple and not many variations. It also could be a reason why the OL looked bad too.

I hope you are right regarding the OL.....

I am discouraged that CPJ publicly is stating these kids need to learn to fight back and not get down. That really worries me as a fan....when you hear that it really means he is saying they aren't mentally tough enough yet.

GTMom

Ramblin' Wreck
this is exactly why I see no reason to be excited about the D. When you really look at it, they were out of position alot for their keys, the CBs knew what was happening since our routes are relatively simple and not many variations. It also could be a reason why the OL looked bad too.

I hope you are right regarding the OL.....

I am discouraged that CPJ publicly is stating these kids need to learn to fight back and not get down. That really worries me as a fan....when you hear that it really means he is saying they aren't mentally tough enough yet.
Mostly a young team, though. Right?

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I think Cottrell is going to be a big piece to the pie. I think JeT is outrunning our abacks. If he could pace himself with lynch and willis(I understand they aren't slow but they aren't Searcy or Cottrell either), and then fly around the corner with Qua and Nate we could be freaking unstoppable. Well given the play side AB can put someone on the turf.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
is it me, or have we been young for 9 years? Seriously....It seems every offseason we are young to paul. Maybe he is just old LOL

regardless of reason...the results will be the results....
We have a lot of problems, QB,WR,OL and D, only my opinion but, we will be hard pressed to win 7

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot of problems, QB,WR,OL and D, only my opinion but, we will be hard pressed to win 7
I agree we have some holes, but a lot can change in 3 months. I think we will be way better than last year and we lost what 7 games by one possession last year, any of those could have gone our way if just a couple things different would have happened except the notre dame game, then you are looking at a 9 win season even with as bad as we looked at times. The o line should be better with the guys having another year under their belts, remember we had some very young guys playing a significant amount of time. If this happens it will make the WR AB and QB play better because teams won't be able to cheat as much. As far as the D goes it looks like we have way more depth and even size this year which should help a lot.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
To these ill-informed eyes: Kallon and Jordan seemed to have improved quite a bit since last year's spring game. Both look ready to play. Mills reminds me so much of Joe Burns it's spooky. In Johnson's first Spring Game, I think we averaged more than one fumble per play. Much much better Saturday. I don't think there's any doubt that lots of freshmen being thrown into the fire led to more turnovers that cost us some games. That looks to have been cleaned up. Tackling seemed solid. I think a lot of baby fat was lost in the off season. Players looked leaner and more developed. I enjoyed watching the Defense play much more than usual. We might be getting better there. On the offensive side, I kept repeating to my self, "Don't forget Burden and Lynch aren't playing". We are going to have depth on the DL. Unbelievable! Lots of serviceable players on Defense. Possibly two or three of them blow up into monsters before September. JT seemed not to be as engaged as normal except on the drive right before half. Hopefully that was just 5th Spring Game Blahs.

After watching the video twice, I ask myself what is significantly better that will take us from 3-9 to 9-3? Easier schedule get us one more win. Freshmen becoming sophomores and fewer turnovers moves three of last year's one score losses to wins. Playing Clemson in Atlanta and uga not in Atlanta has almost always been at least one win for the last 20 years. The 9th win has to come from Miami or Duke. The combination of Richt's and Miami's success against us either doubles their effectiveness or cancels each other out. Who knows? But the 9th win surely has to come from the impossibility of Duke Football having a three game win streak over us; something that has not happened since Spurrier was there.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
For everyone that didn't make the game, I left optimistic for next year. I have seen a lot of pessimistic posts about the spring game from people that appear to have forgotten that it is a practice and the only goal is to have zero injuries, which we were successful at.

Further Several people really stepped up sat including the following:

Francis kallon
Will Bryan
All of the linebackers and safeties
Ricky Jeune
Brad Stewart
Matthew Jordan
Eason froyman
Omari Jarrett

Two concerns I still have are corners, (coaching is a different discussion) just because there wasn't enough data, and RG. Shamire clearly needs to lose 50 lbs and it showed.

Jt had an off day passing and Marshall isn't a qb. MLD looked comfortable at WR and will be a good player wherever he lines up.

Other than that it was a pretty clean game and the team as a whole looked much better than they have the last few springs. Just based on the spring game, I think it will be a pretty good season next year and am looking forward to it.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I came away very suprised, thinking that the Ddefense, and in particular the D-line may be the steength of the team this season- Gamble, Glanton, Henderson, Kallon, Branch, St-Amour, Freeman etc- that is some nice depth and talent. I really hope our offense can get back to form and eat some clock to keep these guys fresh

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Get this: I watched the game on ESPN3 last night in my room at the Days Inn in the cesspool. That entire town reeks and is full of less than intelligent people. Every place you go has red an black everywhere. I vomited in my mouth about six times. In any case, it was an important event for me, but it was a sacrifice, make no mistake.

For those who are drawing any conclusions about the offense after that game, please don't. I compare what I saw last night to spring training games in MLB. Winning games is not the priority in spring baseball, working on stuff is. It was pretty much the same at BDS. We didn't run a lot of our base stuff and we weren't scheming to try and win a game against our defense. We were just running some plays while trying to expand our vocabulary on offense and evaluate a couple kids, nothing more than that. During the season CPJ will sequence plays and try to set up a defense by exploiting weaknesses or overplays. NONE of that was going on yesterday. We merely tried to rep some stuff that was being installed over the last few days. We had kids at new positions, especially along the lines, running new plays and they needed to be stretched in terms of assignments etc. I am not worried at all.

Having said all that, I think it is fun to see guys play for the first time and then prognosticate after extremely small sample sizes. Two guys that impressed me (along with some others from the board) were Jarret and Mills. Jarret has some speed we were lacking last year and he is very shifty. If you project him into AB plays last year that went for 4 yard gains and an ankle tackle, they would turn into good gains. He can find space with speed, vision, agility and moves. He is not a bruiser but will burn people. He will play. Mills is a solid back. He is a RB all the way. I really like him and think he will find holes and make tough yards and generally get everything that is to be gotten on most plays. JJ green and Lynn Griffin will add a lot to.

Taquon shows potential to be a good option QB. He is not ready right now, but could be really good if we work with him and keep him getting quality reps through his RS year coming up. To me, he has that "it" factor. We haven't beaten the high school out of him yet, but he has ability and aptitude.

I want to watch again and focus on line play, which I didn't do on the first viewing.

Boomer whats your take on JT's passing footwork and mechanics? I saw back-foot throws and poor or no follow through with no pressure at times, makes me wonder if he is not being coached properly or is he ignoring them because he thinks he's the 2nd coming of Dan Marino?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For everyone that didn't make the game, I left optimistic for next year. I have seen a lot of pessimistic posts about the spring game from people that appear to have forgotten that it is a practice and the only goal is to have zero injuries, which we were successful at.

Further Several people really stepped up sat including the following:

Francis kallon
Will Bryan
All of the linebackers and safeties
Ricky Jeune
Brad Stewart
Matthew Jordan
Eason froyman
Omari Jarrett

Two concerns I still have are corners, (coaching is a different discussion) just because there wasn't enough data, and RG. Shamire clearly needs to lose 50 lbs and it showed.

Jt had an off day passing and Marshall isn't a qb. MLD looked comfortable at WR and will be a good player wherever he lines up.

Other than that it was a pretty clean game and the team as a whole looked much better than they have the last few springs. Just based on the spring game, I think it will be a pretty good season next year and am looking forward to it.

Agree. I wasn't happy with JT's passing or the O's performance in general, but anyone who draws significant conclusions about the team by watching this scrimmage seems to be stretching the data, imo. They may be right, but I wouldn't want to come to any strong conclusions, especially with CPJ saying that the offense looked better the previous week.

I agree that MJ looked much more poised and patient in the pocket, even behind a somewhat patchwork OL. I also am more optimistic about our D, but it's still hard to tell with some stand-out plays being attributable to bad O.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Guys go back to other spring game threads. The d always looked good and stunk up the season. Thats part of spring. I have no higher optimism for this years d than any other season performance the last three.

U cant read into the d at all imo

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys go back to other spring game threads. The d always looked good and stunk up the season. Thats part of spring. I have no higher optimism for this years d than any other season performance the last three.

I agree with you to an extent, but I think that criticism could be made for a lot of teams spring games, you could even say that about our offense.

I also agree that the D generally looks better than the O at tech's spring games. And I am not trying to persuade what you saw or even be in a position to say the defense will be improved next year. But could you not watch that game and see an improvement of where these players were last year and where they are now, on both sides of the ball?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

And yet you came to conclusions about our O even though they've been better in the Fall than Spring game.

I feel much better about the illogic of your posts knowing that you're just trolling.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
It is a spring scrimmage but I feel much better about linebacker. We are young there but I totally see Roof's recruiting in them. I think it may be our most improved area. DL remains to be seen but I feel we have more quality there than last year.I believe we'll be fine at DB but it's hard to tell against our offense.

Two things about offense, any QB gets gun-shy with the rush constantly breathing down his neck. I still worry about having a deep threat. If someone develops there we have a chance to be good. If not we will have to bite and scratch.

Don't make the mistake of reading too much in to a spring scrimmage.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I wish i could find old spring game scores, but i don't recall another one this low scoring in the CPJ era that didn't involve 50 fumbles. I tried to watch the game with an open mind and in my eyes the D won the line of scrimmage and kicked the Offense's *** on both teams.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It is a spring scrimmage but I feel much better about linebacker. We are young there but I totally see Roof's recruiting in them. I think it may be our most improved area. DL remains to be seen but I feel we have more quality there than last year.I believe we'll be fine at DB but it's hard to tell against our offense.

Two things about offense, any QB gets gun-shy with the rush constantly breathing down his neck. I still worry about having a deep threat. If someone develops there we have a chance to be good. If not we will have to bite and scratch.

Don't make the mistake of reading too much in to a spring scrimmage.
The linebackers looked good but imo the D line was the group that showed out the most.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
And yet you came to conclusions about our O even though they've been better in the Fall than Spring game.

I feel much better about the illogic of your posts knowing that you're just trolling.

Of course. Our O shows no clue. The D showed a clue but is boosted by a bad OL and knowing the calls more etc