Spring game 2016

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you to an extent, but I think that criticism could be made for a lot of teams spring games, you could even say that about our offense.

I also agree that the D generally looks better than the O at tech's spring games. And I am not trying to persuade what you saw or even be in a position to say the defense will be improved next year. But could you not watch that game and see an improvement of where these players were last year and where they are now, on both sides of the ball?

No. Because i have said it from the get go. Cant conclude much about our d going vs our o. D is supposed to win spring games. And our O looks bad in talent, speed and consistency of execution for sure i am concerned. In past years we had issues, fumbling execution. But you could clearly see the playmakers. I am struggling with that today. I cant see the playmakers anymore and if you combine that with a struggling OL could be tough for us.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer whats your take on JT's passing footwork and mechanics? I saw back-foot throws and poor or no follow through with no pressure at times, makes me wonder if he is not being coached properly or is he ignoring them because he thinks he's the 2nd coming of Dan Marino?
The passing, in general, by every QB, was terrible. I am not reading too much into it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No. Because i have said it from the get go. Cant conclude much about our d going vs our o. D is supposed to win spring games. And our O looks bad in talent, speed and consistency of execution for sure i am concerned. In past years we had issues, fumbling execution. But you could clearly see the playmakers. I am struggling with that today. I cant see the playmakers anymore and if you combine that with a struggling OL could be tough for us.
I see playmakers everywhere but WR. That (WR) may change over time. I'm not sure what you don't see. OL is a project and experiment at this point, but there is some ability. It is not that bad. Take a deep breath.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
After watching the game...I have no different option on the state of the team than I did before. Which you can read into either way. It's too hard to tell for sure, and nobody stood out and made me take notice. I think we still have the same problems on O that we did last year, and I have not idea how that will be fixed. It is going to take one or tow guys loading the team on their back a pushing forward, showing the way, I guess.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Offense Struggles in Tech Spring Game - Matt Fortuna

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson came away disappointed with the play of his offense in Saturday’s spring game, as the first-team unit posted just 13 points against the first-team defense. Here are the big takeaways from the Yellow Jackets’ spring finale:

1. Offense far from sharp. Johnson didn’t hide much afterward, telling reporters that he didn’t like the unit’s energy. The retooled offensive line had its struggles, and the ground game never quite materialized the way a Jackets' rushing attack usually does. Wearing a non-contact jersey, Justin Thomas finished with 79 rushing yards, but 76 of those yards came on one rush, late in the first quarter. (He probably would’ve had a touchdown on that run if he were live, as Step Durham caught him in two-hand touch just outside the 10-yard line.) Ricky Jeune had the lone touchdown of the game, a nice catch in the corner of the end zone off a 25-yard play-action throw from Thomas just before halftime. The final was 13-3, White (first-team O, second-team D) over Gold (first-team D, second-team O).

2. The defense, meanwhile …: If the offense struggles so much in first-team vs. first-team action, that must bode well for the defense, right? Johnson wouldn’t praised the defense too much, but there was plenty to like from coordinator Ted Roof’s unit on Saturday. Aside from holding Thomas and the rest of the Tech ground game in check, the unit got strong play up front from redshirt senior Francis Kallon. Junior safety Shaun Kagawa picked off TaQuon Marshall’s first pass of the game -- off a David Curry tip -- and returned it 39 yards to inside the 10-yard line, leading to a field goal.

3. Dedrick Mills runs strong. Mills, an early enrollee freshman, made the most of his opportunity Saturday, rushing for 47 yards and drawing praise from Johnson afterward. Playing with the second-team offense, the 5-foot-10, 217-pound Mills flashed plenty of potential, and he looks to have at least entered the conversation for playing time at B-back this fall. The former ESPN three-star prospect from Ware County (Georgia) High will have plenty of competition, though, as the Jackets return names likeMarcus Marshall, Marcus Allen, C.J. Leggett and Quaide Weimerskirch.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I see playmakers everywhere but WR. That (WR) may change over time. I'm not sure what you don't see. OL is a project and experiment at this point, but there is some ability. It is not that bad. Take a deep breath.

boomer, I respectfully disagree. On the perimeters as you may agree WR is to me clear issue. DB's we have physical guys but we lack coverage speed and very stiff hips/turns; we will see this come to fruition in the regular season IMO. Roof will be playing either way off or way conservative in the back to make up for it, conceding the under, moreso than he has done in the past. We have nickel and cover two bodies; if we roll the safeties deep alot like this we will be exposed on the line. Roof likes man alot. His scheme better adapt; our CB unit worries me. I don't see any playmakers there until you get to AJ Gray, but he may be relegated to rolling deep halfs to help the CBs out taking him out of a ton of box plays where he is good. I see a backend issue. DL is just ok. No one stands out still. Again, could be solid but hard pressed to call anyone a playmaker there; the front 4 will still have rush issues without manufacturing pressure IMO; ergo no playmakers; no one the opposing team will scheme towards.

It dawned on me, I should step back and state what a playmaker is to me. Its someone who can change a game at any snap due to there ability. Guys like Dwyer, derrick morgan, heck even godhigh or orwin smith, at any one snap could flip a game due to ability either within the scheme or on their own. Smelter. DJ White...DJ white was a flat out playmaker. I don't see that now...I see a bunch of good kids, solid, maybe 2s on some teams, 1s here, but no one is jumping out at me right now as that guy who the other team goes away from, or gameplans to. I don't see it. Other teams gameplanned against smelter, dwyer. The threw away from DJ. etc. This is what I refer to. Watching the game, the film, no one stands out in this manor.

OL i don't qualify as playmakers just by nature of what that position is, we have issues but many are technique/scheme not just person. So for me this is an outstanding and ongoing enigma that won't be resolved until the scheme is tweaked in some situations (not overhauled, tweaked) and a certain coach is replaced; something I have been talking about for 8 years now. The line has built in weaknesses due to scheme or technique. Some have come around to see it some still think its just finding this right guy. The right guy has been 1 maybe 2 in 8 years. Its not going to be found with consistency; the line system has to be built to who we can get consistently. As such, I will point out the weakness of the unit which has continued to go unfixed, but I am not convinced it has to do with any one individual on the line. The Line's issue personnel wise is numbers...not quality of kid or OL individuals we have now.

As far as playmakers, anyone today labelled as such is done so based on some published reputation not production IMO. Based on the albeit limited snaps I have seen, no one has stood out yet. So this is where I am...Its not taking a deep breath, I don't need to; I am stating my observed opinion as I see it and I am fine with it. I can live with this product; its who we recruited, HOW we recruit, they are good kids, just when the results are 4,5,6 wins...no one should complain; unless that complaint goes to the AA and CPJ (mine has, imploring them to boost admin and quality staff). There are fundamentals about this program right now that need changing; just as there are in the basketball program not just the HC.

So its ok, I left the stadium feeling a 5 maybe 6 win team. I am still around that. Come fall, I will go to practices if I can and I may change that.

BTW another reason for my win total...team just doesn't seem confident at all.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our best years we have had multiple "playmakers".

Just on offense:

2008: Dwyer, Demaryius Thomas, Nesbitt (yes, Nesbitt was a bonafide playmaker...look at the early games of 2008)
2009: See above, plus Stephen Hill, Anthony Allen
2014: JeT, Deandre Smelter, Waller (to an extent towards the backend of the season), Days/Laskey combo

That 2008 defense is as stacked a defense as we've had at GT in terms of NFL talent. I believe pretty much everyone who started but the LBs saw some time in the NFL...though Brad Jefferson made camp with the bills. 2009 Defense still had Morgan and Burnett as well as young CBs in Sweeting and Butler who are still in the NFL (also a young Jemea Thomas).

I think we have playmakers on this team right now. I'm not sure they will develop to their full potential THIS year, but we are not without talent. Most of the higher level talent is still young. This is college football, and GT won't get a flood of top tier talent every year. Maybe a handful, but the majority of our "playmakers" will need to be developed over time.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The line has built in weaknesses due to scheme or technique.

It also has built in advantages. The large splits create large gaps and better angles. It supposed to force the defense to have to commit second level defenders to have any chance at stopping the dive (in theory). This makes them vulnerable to many other play calls.

Of course, you need players who can execute the blocks that take advantage of these things.

Yes, it has it's disadvantages, particularly in pass pro, but we are a running team. The design benefits 90% of our play calls.

the line system has to be built to who we can get consistently.

Navy doesn't seem to have an problems getting OL's who can executes these blocks well, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to. I know the competition isn't always the same, but Navy's line fairs well against similar and more athletic/physical competition consistently.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It also has built in advantages. The large splits create large gaps and better angles. It supposed to force the defense to have to commit second level defenders to have any chance at stopping the dive (in theory). This makes them vulnerable to many other play calls.

Of course, you need players who can execute the blocks that take advantage of these things.

Yes, it has it's disadvantages, particularly in pass pro, but we are a running team. The design benefits 90% of our play calls.

Navy doesn't seem to have an problems getting OL's who can executes these blocks well, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to. I know the competition isn't always the same, but Navy's line fairs well against similar and more athletic/physical competition consistently.

cheese actually I have no issue with the splits. You can leave those as is and still help yourself more....I get that we run 80% of the time...but even in the run game, we whiff a ton...due to some techniques used.

I don't and won't compare Navy. I think its silly too. Silly is a nice version of the word. They never have competed against the teams we face week in and week out to state their line would do fine. By game 6 they would be so beat up etc, game after game, year after year they would look worse than us eventually....so for me one game is not a trend. Two competitive games a year vs ND and one other team doesn't validate navy's OL at all IMO. So for me, I always pause at that comparison.

Also, Ken...HAS adopted more modern scheme presses and tweaks in his O. Paul hasn't. Watch Navy closely. Its the same general offense and yet alot different.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think we have playmakers on this team right now. I'm not sure they will develop to their full potential THIS year, but we are not without talent. Most of the higher level talent is still young. This is college football, and GT won't get a flood of top tier talent every year. Maybe a handful, but the majority of our "playmakers" will need to be developed over time.

Techster I guess thats my point. You/others "think" we have talent and playmakers on this team based on published press and speak (as you point out they are young). So for me, what I am trying to say and maybe not well...is if I throw that out...that speak, press and snipets, and just look at what I think I see (I say think since I don't see every snap every day) I am struggling to find the playmakers based on field work this year TODAY. I can step back and go AH Cotrell will be. Or AH JJ green will be. But then I watched Green and he just looked ok.

After spring, I look at the field and in my eyes we don't have many, and the speed didn't seem where I recall in years past. Could it be confidence, unsure, youth hurting that. SURE. But my evaluation is to this point this year...and I struggle to find them.

Now, could this SAME squad in 2 years with age blow up to be playmakers. For sure.
That is what development and time in program is about. But I am stating what I see as it pertains to this team, this stage in the year and for the year coming up. Not in 3 years.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
cheese actually I have no issue with the splits. You can leave those as is and still help yourself more....I get that we run 80% of the time...but even in the run game, we whiff a ton...due to some techniques used.

I don't and won't compare Navy. I think its silly too. Silly is a nice version of the word. They never have competed against the teams we face week in and week out to state their line would do fine. By game 6 they would be so beat up etc, game after game, year after year they would look worse than us eventually....so for me one game is not a trend. Two competitive games a year vs ND and one other team doesn't validate navy's OL at all IMO. So for me, I always pause at that comparison.

Also, Ken...HAS adopted more modern scheme presses and tweaks in his O. Paul hasn't. Watch Navy closely. Its the same general offense and yet alot different.
It's spring, we have key guys out, newbies in and we're going against defenders who know what we are doing better than the OL's who are doing it. Insert Freddie at center, Griffin at guard and an in-shape Devine and you see much better execution. Also, we're not scheming and play calling at all to try and beat defensive tendencies, it's spring practice. Coach is trying random plays to watch specific players. In season it's a whole different game called.

And I think Navy is a valid comparison because they are going against comparable competition and blowing them away. We should be blowing away comparable competition, too, but we're not. In addition, as you pointed out, they give ND fits every year and that's nothing to ignore.

I do agree on your point about Ken being more creative. I've wanted to see some of those tweaks done here, but it's a building process. You start with the basics and build from there. Our guys are still in baby shoes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Techster I guess thats my point. You/others "think" we have talent and playmakers on this team based on published press and speak (as you point out they are young). So for me, what I am trying to say and maybe not well...is if I throw that out...that speak, press and snipets, and just look at what I think I see (I say think since I don't see every snap every day) I am struggling to find the playmakers based on field work this year TODAY. I can step back and go AH Cotrell will be. Or AH JJ green will be. But then I watched Green and he just looked ok.

After spring, I look at the field and in my eyes we don't have many, and the speed didn't seem where I recall in years past. Could it be confidence, unsure, youth hurting that. SURE. But my evaluation is to this point this year...and I struggle to find them.

Now, could this SAME squad in 2 years with age blow up to be playmakers. For sure.
That is what development and time in program is about. But I am stating what I see as it pertains to this team, this stage in the year and for the year coming up. Not in 3 years.
Guys can't play fast till they know what they are doing. Thinking makes a fast guy slow.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Poor play is a result of one of three things: lack of talent, lack of effort or lack of experience. I'd throw in out of shape, too, but that doesn't apply to very many, with one notable exception. Most of our issues on the OL are due to lack of experience at this point. In a spring game where you are fielding two complete units, you get some of the lack of talent with the walkons.

When we get Freddie back, we'll be in much better shape. Hopefully we get Chris back, but I'm not holding my breath. Same goes for Shamire getting in shape.

I feel good about Bryan, Klock and the Morgans, they just need reps. Some more than others. It'll be interesting to see what we do with Andrew Marshall once Freddie is back.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's spring, we have key guys out, newbies in and we're going against defenders who know what we are doing better than the OL's who are doing it. Insert Freddie at center, Griffin at guard and an in-shape Devine and you see much better execution. Also, we're not scheming and play calling at all to try and beat defensive tendencies, it's spring practice. Coach is trying random plays to watch specific players. In season it's a whole different game called.

And I think Navy is a valid comparison because they are going against comparable competition and blowing them away. We should be blowing away comparable competition, too, but we're not. In addition, as you pointed out, they give ND fits every year and that's nothing to ignore.

I do agree on your point about Ken being more creative. I've wanted to see some of those tweaks done here, but it's a building process. You start with the basics and build from there. Our guys are still in baby shoes.

Fyi its year nine for paul right? Thats a long time to build if you were going to tweak the scheme. So when DO you begin? Excuses each year you know on that OL

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Poor play is a result of one of three things: lack of talent, lack of effort or lack of experience. I'd throw in out of shape, too, but that doesn't apply to very many, with one notable exception. Most of our issues on the OL are due to lack of experience at this point. In a spring game where you are fielding two complete units, you get some of the lack of talent with the walkons.

When we get Freddie back, we'll be in much better shape. Hopefully we get Chris back, but I'm not holding my breath. Same goes for Shamire getting in shape.

I feel good about Bryan, Klock and the Morgans, they just need reps. Some more than others. It'll be interesting to see what we do with Andrew Marshall once Freddie is back.

Look i hope u r right. Still have other glaring problems imo

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I believe the above in this case though

We have issues on this particular team at this stage

Wow. What level of performance would convince you scheme is not the issue with our offense? Obviously, you can't look at one year when addressing scheme. Over CPJs time we're a top 25 team in pts/dr vs pwr 5.

We've been top 2-5 in 2 of 8 years, iirc.