Spring game 2016

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Even at an individual level Doesn't the quality of coaching impact play as much as talent, effort or experience? The coach can make a big difference in the process of turning raw into developed talent. Ditto to motivation for sustained effort. Also ditto to coaching shortening the amount of experience needed to learn. New guys come and old guys graduate. It's really how QUICKLY the (chief engineer) coach spots and devlops talent, moivates effort, and trains the players (enginers).

Last year I hoped the defense could win some early games while the young ab, bb, wr could learn behind a solid o line. With injuries and red shirts several learned nothing and the defense was not dominant in anyway. So we sputtered as u predicted. Now we have some experienced backs and a really young oline.
Here I go again - I hope the defense wins some early games while the COACH fixes the oline and skill position players into a somewhat functioning offense. With it functioning and a good defense we will get better each game! Go JACKETS

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow. What level of performance would convince you scheme is not the issue with our offense? Obviously, you can't look at one year when addressing scheme. Over CPJs time we're a top 25 team in pts/dr vs pwr 5.

We've been top 2-5 in 2 of 8 years, iirc.

Yea i agree with you regarding overall offensive numbers. What i am focusing on is play vs the next level of teams which is what we aspire to be. For me in general that doesnt look so rosey. We are losing more times than not vs teams we wish to be more like .500 against. And IMO sans one year our overall trend against teams we desire to compete more with is not good. And to get there we need changes more than just a player Imo we need the system he runs to help a bit more especially for OL.

Navy is better today imo with their system tweaks than when paul was there. Statistics may not show that holistically but against stronger teams navy is way more competitive on a whole imo and his athletes are breaking records

Paul hasnt evolved his system enough to more consistently get to that next level, we havent even touched on 9 years of mediocre to bad D

Edit to say also dont take my comments out of context. My statements above are where i see this team today not a team 5 years ago. We could look a bunch better in fall

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yea i agree with you regarding overall offensive numbers. What i am focusing on is play vs the next level of teams which is what we aspire to be. For me in general that doesnt look so rosey. We are losing more times than not vs teams we wish to be more like .500 against. And IMO sans one year our overall trend against teams we desire to compete more with is not good. And to get there we need changes more than just a player Imo we need the system he runs to help a bit more especially for OL.

Navy is better today imo with their system tweaks than when paul was there. Statistics may not show that holistically but against stronger teams navy is way more competitive on a whole imo and his athletes are breaking records

Paul hasnt evolved his system enough to more consistently get to that next level, we havent even touched on 9 years of mediocre to bad D

Edit to say also dont take my comments out of context. My statements above are where i see this team today not a team 5 years ago. We could look a bunch better in fall

I'm not taking you out of context. You just cited w-l vs better teams as an indicator of needs to improve off scheme.

I suspect most football fans would see this as an uninformed opinion or faulty logic. Defense also plays a role in w-l. That's why I cited pts per drive vs pwr 5 as a better measure of O.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not taking you out of context. You just cited w-l vs better teams as an indicator of needs to improve off scheme.

I suspect most football fans would see this as an uninformed opinion or faulty logic. Defense also plays a role in w-l. That's why I cited pts per drive vs pwr 5 as a better measure of O.

Cuz our d wont change and always stinks u r right i was being offensive centric which is totally faulty. But if u truly believe our d is what it is and wont change significant enough to matter then it truly is only the offense you put hope into....

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Cuz our d wont change and always stinks u r right i was being offensive centric which is totally faulty. But if u truly believe our d is what it is and wont change significant enough to matter then it truly is only the offense you put hope into....

I appreciate your recognition of the faulty logic. Too many in forum discussions don't do that, even when pointed out.

The issue still remains concerning how much better you expect we can get. Our Off PPD vs Pwr5 have been really good on the whole. It suggests to me that the scheme isn't the problem.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Techster I guess thats my point. You/others "think" we have talent and playmakers on this team based on published press and speak (as you point out they are young). So for me, what I am trying to say and maybe not well...is if I throw that out...that speak, press and snipets, and just look at what I think I see (I say think since I don't see every snap every day) I am struggling to find the playmakers based on field work this year TODAY. I can step back and go AH Cotrell will be. Or AH JJ green will be. But then I watched Green and he just looked ok.

After spring, I look at the field and in my eyes we don't have many, and the speed didn't seem where I recall in years past. Could it be confidence, unsure, youth hurting that. SURE. But my evaluation is to this point this year...and I struggle to find them.

Now, could this SAME squad in 2 years with age blow up to be playmakers. For sure.
That is what development and time in program is about. But I am stating what I see as it pertains to this team, this stage in the year and for the year coming up. Not in 3 years.

Agreed.

As of now, really the only "Day 1" playmakers we have are JeT on offense, AJ Gray on defense. Brant Mitchell is on the cusp from the snaps we saw last season, and PJ Davis is a very good player...but he's not someone opposing offenses have to game plan around. I've said it for a while now, we're deeper from top to bottom in terms of talent disparity being smaller, but we do struggle recruiting top level guys who can turn the game on their own.

I'm confident that some of the young guys like Glanton, Branch, Saint-Amour can be really good later in the year as they get experience. I do get your point that outside of JeT and AJ Gray, there are not many guys RIGHT NOW who strike fear in opposing coaches, but let's see how it plays out this season. I think Lynn Griffin is going to step up from what I've seen...I think he'll be similar to Orwin but a better blocker. If Clinton Lynch improved his speed from last year, he's a dynamic threat waiting to bust open on any touch. I'll believe the Cottrell hype when I see it in an actual game and not on message boards. If Philpott can stay healthy, he's got legit track speed. If "ifs and buts" were candy and nuts, right?

My point is, let's wait and see. I saw some things I really liked during the Spring game, but like you, my concerns outweigh my optimism.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Smh, a guy can tell you he's trolling, and some fish still bite.

Just because he has a different opinion than most doesn't mean he's trolling. If you've read 33's posts over the years (not just this forum) you'd know he is not a troll. And I don't even agree with him on some of his points.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just because he has a different opinion than most doesn't mean he's trolling. If you've read 33's posts over the years (not just this forum) you'd know he is not a troll. And I don't even agree with him on some of his points.

I was referring to this post.

My sole objective on this board is to post everything as a fringe opinion to boost likes, disagreements and increase the total debate level of this board.

I troll so much so subtlely its lol for me sometimes. Hell its a message board. Its fun

Half our staff does suck though imo

So, thanks for playing.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
33's definition of "playmaker" is my definition of super star. You can be a playmaker and not be someone the other team game plans around. Give me a team full of fundamentally sound playmakers of my definition: guys who do their jobs, give 100% effort all the time, very rarely make mistakes and consistently make plays. Super stars make things a whole lot easier, but aren't a necessity.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I actually appreciate you pointing that out. Had not been through that thread. So good at trolling I didn't even know he was trolling!

I don't always troll. But alot of times i do just to have fun. This thread was not a troll. Just a healthy debate of opinions.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
33's definition of "playmaker" is my definition of super star. You can be a playmaker and not be someone the other team game plans around. Give me a team full of fundamentally sound playmakers of my definition: guys who do their jobs, give 100% effort all the time, very rarely make mistakes and consistently make plays. Super stars make things a whole lot easier, but aren't a necessity.

Yeah i do agree my version of playmaker is more towards all acc star than not. Maybe not superstar but for me a playmaker is a potentially instant impact guy

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
33 has an agenda. He doesn't like our coaches and would prefer to change them. That is the absolute worst thing we could do. Consistency of staff and a scheme that allows us to compete with less talent gives us a chance. I'm not sure why he is so adamant especially about Ted Roof and Sewak but it seems personal. I prefer to let the head coach make those decisions.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Success in college football, and especially at GT, lives on a razor's edge. It's a game of inches. Inches decide many outcomes and most of ours. What gets you over the top are breaks. Breaks in games to be sure, but the breaks I really mean go back in time to recruiting and player development which result in optimal team composition in terms of talent and experience.

We cannot afford to miss on the recruiting trail or have our marquee recruits fail out, not follow team rules, not meet performance expectations or just plain not stay healthy or in shape. Even though football is a game of inches, that last inch, that crucial inch, can feel like a mile. That mile is crossed with the right players which results from success on the recruiting trail and in player development and attrition avoidance. That last part, particularly by injury, has stung us very hard recently.

Let's hope this year we catch a few breaks in these ways.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Cottrell is going to be a big piece to the pie. I think JeT is outrunning our abacks. If he could pace himself with lynch and willis(I understand they aren't slow but they aren't Searcy or Cottrell either), and then fly around the corner with Qua and Nate we could be freaking unstoppable. Well given the play side AB can put someone on the turf.

JeT and Lynch had a great pitch relationship last year and Lynch had a great season because of it.... JeT isn't out running him... maybe Lynch isn't as slow as everyone seems to think he is...

Or maybe it's not a speed issue...maybe it's an understanding the playbook and spacing issue...

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
JeT and Lynch had a great pitch relationship last year and Lynch had a great season because of it.... JeT isn't out running him... maybe Lynch isn't as slow as everyone seems to think he is...

Or maybe it's not a speed issue...maybe it's an understanding the playbook and spacing issue...
I made it clear that lynch wasn't slow, just simply not as fast as Cottrell or Searcy.