Spring game 2016

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the O did not run the traditional offense. I love the year we went back to the basics and ran the basics all spring game (2014). One drive was a hurry up triple option all the way down the field (2014). The O did a lot of different setups, different motions, too many passes, and never got into a rhythm. The OL is a work in progress.

The D was better and had the OL plays and the "checks" memorized.

Last edited:

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
First team offense did not look crisp as I had hoped. I actually thought the pass protection was WAY better than it has been, but that is also going against our DL which has had no pass rush for 6 years or so. It's hard to gauge if it has improved.

JT looked very uncomfortable throwing the ball. His mechanics have not improved and he missed several open WRs with overthrows.

I know its the Spring Game and things could improve by the fall but I am really worried that we have no passing threat again and people will load the box with 9 guys and we will struggle again.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think the O did not run the traditional offense. I love the year we went back to the basics and ran the basics all spring game (2014). One drive was a hurry up triple option all the way down the field (2014). The O did a lot of different setups, different motions, too many passes, and never got into a rhythm. The OL is a work in progress.

You have to think some of the passing is situational for the defense. I'm sure Roof and CPJ want to test our young secondary, as well as seeing what our passing O can do. It's the spring...if we're going to test guys and our plays, now is the time to do it.

I'm sure once the season rolls around CPJ and Roof will play to our strengths and call plays he knows our guys can execute.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
First team offense did not look crisp as I had hoped. I actually thought the pass protection was WAY better than it has been, but that is also going against our DL which has had no pass rush for 6 years or so. It's hard to gauge if it has improved.

JT looked very uncomfortable throwing the ball. His mechanics have not improved and he missed several open WRs with overthrows.

I know its the Spring Game and things could improve by the fall but I am really worried that we have no passing threat again and people will load the box with 9 guys and we will struggle again.

Against better CBs in our league, some of his throws would have been picked. That late back shoulder throw to Stewart in the 1Q against Austin would have been a pick 6 against a better CB. Austin managed to put a hand on it to bat it down, but that was an extremely late throw for that route.

JeT was scatter shot a lot of times. Our walk-on QBs did a better job of getting the ball to our receivers than our scholarship QBs...though it was later in the scrimmage with varying talent.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am not 100% sure we need tremendous speed at the WR spot. I think we need size and physicality. Smelter seemed to enjoy being physical in the blocking/passing game. If we have a guy that can win the majority of contested balls we will be fine. Summers never seemed to embrace the need to be physical at that position IMO. Stewart may be that guy, but we will have to see. He seems to have the traits.

Matt E

GT Athlete
I am not 100% sure we need tremendous speed at the WR spot. I think we need size and physicality. Smelter seemed to enjoy being physical in the blocking/passing game. If we have a guy that can win the majority of contested balls we will be fine. Summers never seemed to embrace the need to be physical at that position IMO. Stewart may be that guy, but we will have to see. He seems to have the traits.

Smelter, Bay Bay, and Hill all created significant separation. The smoke route we would throw to all three of those guys was open because of the cushion the DB gave them because they respected their speed and didn't want to get beat over the top. I don't have a tally, but I'm guessing we through less smoke routes than previous years last year. As soon as the DBs realized they weren't going to get beat deep, they played closer to the line. This hurts the running game as well. Bottom line: we need kids that can run past the DBs OR be quick enough to shake them and get open on routes other than 9 cuts. It looks to me that we have good size with mediocre speed and mediocre quickness.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
The D-Line looked ballin! Branch was whooping the little 3rd string walk on, Glanton looked quick and athletic, along with Blake Griffin(Trent Sellers). I don't know if they are really that good, or our line is really bad. I guess time will tell

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The cushion was there with Smelter because the DB didn't want to be knocked on his ***. Look at the 2014 game against Clemson, Smelter vs the Clemson DB was one of the most physical matchups on the outside that I can remember. That comback throw moved the sticks a lot for us that day. Smelter was a 4.5 guy, which isn't slow, but isn't faster than good D1 corners.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Well, we're waiting.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Smelter, Bay Bay, and Hill all created significant separation. The smoke route we would throw to all three of those guys was open because of the cushion the DB gave them because they respected their speed and didn't want to get beat over the top. I don't have a tally, but I'm guessing we through less smoke routes than previous years last year. As soon as the DBs realized they weren't going to get beat deep, they played closer to the line. This hurts the running game as well. Bottom line: we need kids that can run past the DBs OR be quick enough to shake them and get open on routes other than 9 cuts. It looks to me that we have good size with mediocre speed and mediocre quickness.

This is what it looks like to me. The Dbs have no fear of anyone running past them, plus they can count on their rush getting to JT soon. So they play tight, knowing they only have to stay on 'em for a few seconds.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm not that worried about the o line, Burden will be back, and hopefully Griffin gets healthy. Even if Griffin isn't able to play we have Braun coming in who I think will be able to contribute. We also have Cooper coming in who plays very hard, and might get a chance to play, I think he was pretty under rated. Add all this together with the Morgan twins who did good things in the spring game and I think we will be ok. Imo Devine looked the best out of the o line in the spring game, if he continues to get conditioned he could have a very good season. Also the skilled positions are more experienced this year and can help out a lot like the 2014 season. A lot can change between now and the start of the season.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Play calling seemed strange. We never attempted to establish the BB dive and there were a lot of overshifted AB slots in motion followed by QB runs. If the triple existed there were very few pitches outside. When we did pitch there were some plays. Either the play calling, or the defense, or the QB decisions to keep, kept the ABs out of the game (exception of Jarrett). Maybe there was a purpose (Spring Game) for not running our basic stuff. The O just never got in sync.

Biggest disappointment were the two early White Team opportunities with first and goal and we get nothing or negative on first down and eventually settle for field goals.

Was Lynch hurt? I do not recall seeing him on the field.