Spring game 2016

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Dont get too down. Spring is a tough time to show big.

Also I liked jalen and aj gray flying around. Besides curry I was suprised by the decisiveness and speed/quickness_ he hits and sticks. Hope he suprises. Right tackle seemed good as well.

I am hoping ol can be COACHED up or we all could be down.

AceInTheHole

Georgia Tech Fan
Hello Yellow Jacket fans. Myself, my son and my nephews are diehard Dawg fans. My dad is a dieard Jacket fan. I wasnt able to go but my son and his cousins went to G-day last weekend and that would have usually been it except for the fact that I heard a commercial promoting the GT spring game today. Well my dad loves the Jackets but wont go to the games himself, so on Tuesday I proposed to my son that he and I along with his cousins take their granddad to the game today. Suprisingly I was met with no resistance. Any given day they are decked out in UGA gear from head to toe, but today they didnt have one piece on. The game was great and yall look good and I wish all the Jacket fans the best of luck this season. Well, except for Nov. 26 when you trek to Athens. I will have to be pulling for my Dawgs to take a bite out of ya... LOL ☺

Seriously though, I do want to thank GT and the fans for the hospitality today and here is to great seasons for both of us!!!!!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Hello Yellow Jacket fans. Myself, my son and my nephews are diehard Dawg fans. My dad is a dieard Jacket fan. I wasnt able to go but my son and his cousins went to G-day last weekend and that would have usually been it except for the fact that I heard a commercial promoting the GT spring game today. Well my dad loves the Jackets but wont go to the games himself, so on Tuesday I proposed to my son that he and I along with his cousins take their granddad to the game today. Suprisingly I was met with no resistance. Any given day they are decked out in UGA gear from head to toe, but today they didnt have one piece on. The game was great and yall look good and I wish all the Jacket fans the best of luck this season. Well, except for Nov. 26 when you trek to Athens. I will have to be pulling for my Dawgs to take a bite out of ya... LOL ☺

Seriously though, I do want to thank GT and the fans for the hospitality today and here is to great seasons for both of us!!!!!

And thank you for a very classy post!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

Glad you had a good time. Feel free to bring your Dad to some actual games this year!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Defense looked good, offense looked bad. I'm not sure it was Justin's fault though. Looked a lot more like a really bad offensive line to me. Kind of scary...

Also could mean a good defensive line :)

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe I drove from the other side of Athens to see that mess! Beautiful day and nobody there is kinda embarrassing. I saw a few recruits walking around with G day game lanyards in our stadium sums the day up. I'm sure the ugag fans that attended got a good laugh out of it as well!

I was there and enjoyed it. Crowd was definitely small, maybe 10k. But perhaps going 3-9 last year had something to do with it? That sort of performance doesn't tend to generate a lot of buzz going into the next season.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Listening to the press conference replay - all these quotes are as close as I can remember to what CPJ said

"I think the 2nd team OL line was all walk ons". I can think of 3 OL that did not play this spring. Could be wrong but regardless YOU NEED TO START RECRUITING MORE & BETTER LINEMAN! Start running an orthodox system that allows us to recruit enough D & O lineman. GET A FREAKING OL COACH THAT KNOWS HOW TO COACH. Now this is truly not rocket science. Same ole crap.

Question from reporter "Is pitching the ball the hardest thing for a young QB to learn?" Again WTTE . CPJ's answer? "I guess." Totally smart azz or a guy that has given up on really succeeding at GT. (Which might be understandable ). But if you were a sidewalk fan considering investing $ for tickets, how would you react to that?

I can understand being antagonistic to the ATL press, but you are paid big $ to do it. You expect your players to show up every day ready to go and give it all? Do the damn same coach! You want positive press? Start winning, not once every 4 years, the big games. And now we have lost 2 straight to puke and uwhine&cheese .

We may be fine come fall, we never know with this guy, but the smart azz responses, the bad coaching, bad recruiting, the whiney azz press conferences have long ago gotten old.

Stopped listening about 1/2 to 2/3 way through. Same story - different time.

Send in your resume

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If we do not develop a quick short passing game, this coming year is going to be a repeat of last year. Could win 3 or 4 more games because we should have won that many more last year. Georgia game a case in point.

I'm definitely worried about this. Our receivers aren't on the same level as Smelter, Waller, and Demaryius. The years we have guys like that, our passing game looks crazy. The other years it looks non-existent. I'd love to see some shorter stuff when the option can't get going, but we might just be beating a dead horse. I did see a screen yesterday that got me a little excited. It was a busted play, but I think it could be dangerous if our O like crumbles a lot like it did last year on pass plays.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
The biggest disappointment to me was Messick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to remember Messick is and has alwasys been a project. He couldn't have been any more raw coming out of HS. As a RS-jr it's getting to be his time, but recall that Waller--who was also a bigtime project--didn't really show out until his senior year.

These project types often frustrate fans because they have a lot of physical tools and athleticism but need to develop from a football perspective. Waller frustrated folks but ended up having a nice senior campaign and was an important part of 2014's success down the stretch. Kallon is a prime example as well. Sometimes they end up developing in the NFL too as per TJ Barnes & Dieke. Football is not an easy game and it's hard to get everything you need in your muscle memory.

It would be great though to see Messick jump in there and secure #4 WR in fall camp. There will be some serious competition with the frosh coming in and Philpott if healthy & Howell competing.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Have to remember Messick is and has alwasys been a project. He couldn't have been any more raw coming out of HS. As a RS-jr it's getting to be his time, but recall that Waller--who was also a bigtime project--didn't really show out until his senior year.

These project types often frustrate fans because they have a lot of physical tools and athleticism but need to develop from a football perspective. Waller frustrated folks but ended up having a nice senior campaign and was an important part of 2014's success down the stretch. Kallon is a prime example as well. Sometimes they end up developing in the NFL too as per TJ Barnes & Dieke. Football is not an easy game and it's hard to get everything you need in your muscle memory.

It would be great though to see Messick jump in there and secure #4 WR in fall camp. There will be some serious competition with the frosh coming in and Philpott if healthy & Howell competing.
Don't give up on Anthony... Your post is right on target...he is trying hard that's the first step...the reps over the summer in informal practices I hope will do the rest

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A couple of observations......
  • anyone whose answer to our problems is that we "should recruit better players" needs to get a clue. Do you think we turn down better players? We recruit the best we can get. CPJ has repeatedly pointed out our weaknesses as a program in trying to compete with the 'big boys', ranging from the simple facts about the size of our stadium and fan base (a function of being a small university) to the narrowness of our curriculum, and enhanced by our administration's attitude (this part he doesn't say out loud). We are what we are
  • Conversely, we have an extremely stubborn coach. He will NOT change this offense no matter how poorly it is working come hades or high water. It is what he knows, and he will preach it, teach it, and use it no matter what. While I personally find it frustrating, I also recognize that given my first point, we need some gimmick to have even half a chance against the big boys to compete. Gone forever are the says of O'Leary (not to mention Ross or Dodd) when we could actually get enough athletes to run standard offenses and compete.
  • I do wish our offense was more like what Friedgen ran. He ran a mix of option, power I, and I don't know what else. You had no idea when a play started if it was a run or pass, and we had both short, medium and long passes. I dislike any offenses that throw the ball 70 times a game, or run the ball 70 times a game. I simply think they are too easy to focus on and prepare for. And I do think we are seeing that with the on-field performances.
  • Any offense looks putrid when it is getting shut down.
So, pretty much expect what you have seen with CPJ. The offense will depend entirely on the abilities of our OL (not QB or A or B backs or WR). Expect no significant changes form our coach. We will not add a short passing game. We will not really do any major changes to the option spread offense. He may rely on his defense to keep him in games.

I expect maybe 6-6 this year. We are not really competitive against the big boys unless we develop a really good OL as we had in 2014.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of observations......
  • anyone whose answer to our problems is that we "should recruit better players" needs to get a clue. Do you think we turn down better players? We recruit the best we can get. CPJ has repeatedly pointed out our weaknesses as a program in trying to compete with the 'big boys', ranging from the simple facts about the size of our stadium and fan base (a function of being a small university) to the narrowness of our curriculum, and enhanced by our administration's attitude (this part he doesn't say out loud). We are what we are
  • Conversely, we have an extremely stubborn coach. He will NOT change this offense no matter how poorly it is working come hades or high water. It is what he knows, and he will preach it, teach it, and use it no matter what. While I personally find it frustrating, I also recognize that given my first point, we need some gimmick to have even half a chance against the big boys to compete. Gone forever are the says of O'Leary (not to mention Ross or Dodd) when we could actually get enough athletes to run standard offenses and compete.
  • I do wish our offense was more like what Friedgen ran. He ran a mix of option, power I, and I don't know what else. You had no idea when a play started if it was a run or pass, and we had both short, medium and long passes. I dislike any offenses that throw the ball 70 times a game, or run the ball 70 times a game. I simply think they are too easy to focus on and prepare for. And I do think we are seeing that with the on-field performances.
  • Any offense looks putrid when it is getting shut down.
So, pretty much expect what you have seen with CPJ. The offense will depend entirely on the abilities of our OL (not QB or A or B backs or WR). Expect no significant changes form our coach. We will not add a short passing game. We will not really do any major changes to the option spread offense. He may rely on his defense to keep him in games.

I expect maybe 6-6 this year. We are not really competitive against the big boys unless we develop a really good OL as we had in 2014.
I appreciate your perspective. I believe your first point is right on target. I agree that CPJ is stubborn as most successful coaches are. There is nothing wrong with our offensive scheme. It gives us a chance to be successful with overall less talent.

I disagree with you and most people on the board about the OL being our biggest problem offensively. We have no receiver at this point who can gain separation in a one on one situation and finish the play. Some have said we need a short passing game. Unfortunately you only have a short passing game when defenders are concerned about getting burned.

I choose to remain optimistic however as I believe in our coaches. We're one season removed from double digit wins and I believe we can do it again. Maybe not every year but that is where we are as a program. We need to remain consistent in staff to realize our potential. Changes lower our chances to be successful.

They are doing their best to address the receiver issue.

I'm definitely worried about this. Our receivers aren't on the same level as Smelter, Waller, and Demaryius. The years we have guys like that, our passing game looks crazy. The other years it looks non-existent. I'd love to see some shorter stuff when the option can't get going, but we might just be beating a dead horse. I did see a screen yesterday that got me a little excited. It was a busted play, but I think it could be dangerous if our O like crumbles a lot like it did last year on pass plays.
I don't think Demayrious, Smelter, or Waller could have caught most of the passes thrown yesterday. Justin was TERRIBLE.

Am I the only one to have seen (or remembered) the one short dump pass over the middle that Justin made during the xcrimmage? I don't remember who he threw it too, but it's something I sure don't remember seeing in the past under Johnson and could be a powerful tool.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
In spring I like to look at talent evaluation and new players showing out rather than performance of the units.

On the new player show out level I thought this spring was deceptively very exciting, though muddied by OL struggles and inconsistent play.

First, the defensive front seven looks like it has a pool of players that will mature and be good at some point. Might not be next year, but I can see it coming. Cerge-Henderson, Glanton, and Kallon all looked good (height and gets some push in the center of the pocket). Dion Branch will contribute and looks rotation ready. Sellers--a project--likely won't play next year, but he clearly has made strides and looks like a future contributer. Merriweather did some nice things and moved well. St Amour is more ready to be in the rotation. Add in Gamble and hopefully Antonio Simmons and there is some hope on the DL with DT's going 4 deep, Keshun & Amour rushing (and maybe Simmons), then Branch, Rook, Merriweather, and sometimes gamble at SDE. Still a question mark? Absolutely. But at least there is more hope, especially combined with the emerging strength at LB.

At LB I saw depth, athleticism and pass rushing ability. Bridges looked VERY fluid and nice to see Cooksey bringing some heat. Part of the reason the line struggled is these guys' rush, especially Bridges. Michell & PJ look solid and there is heated competition for the other spot. Curry is the real deal, Jackson looked good stopping the run, T. Lewis looks ready, and in general I thought the LB corps played fast and looked fundamentally solid. Alexander is still not playing fast but is making progress. Good competition and perhaps a better rush from this position than last year.

DB I am not worried about. Top 3 corners look ready as do safety starters. If we get a rush these guys are plenty capable.

On offense not all was bleak.

Jarrett and Mills showing out is a BIG DEAL. Taquon Marsall is a BIG DEAL.

Mills is smooth, powerful, physically mature, instinctual, and talented on the perimeter as well as up the middle. Even looked natural as a receiver. HOLDS ONTO THE FOOTBALL right out of the box. Looks like a guy who will do everything above average and pile up yardage. Nice explosion out of his stance too.

Jarrett proved his film was not a fluke. He is small, yes, but man is he athletic. He will be a very dangerous guy at A back running and passing. Combo him with Lynn Griffin and JJ Green (who both look physical and good putting a foot in the ground and accelerating for yards), then add in Lynch and Searcy and you have a very stout 5-man AB rotation with run/pass abilities.

Taquon is obviously raw and running around helter-skelter in both the running and passing game. But for a guy who just got moved he looks fantastic, and it's clear he can create on his own. I noticed he didn't fumble at all. I like Jordan and see him as the clear #2 right now. However Marshall should develop quickly and it will be an interesting competition.

I thought MLD did some nice things at receiver and the fact that QBs were targeting him shows they have confidence in him. I was pounding the table on this guy's versatility based on his HS film and recall a font dressing me down with the simple line: "MLD is a B-back." No, he is a versatile skill athlete who could also play S or LB, as well as BB, WR, & AB. He lined up at WR in HS a fair bit actually.

On the downside for the spring the probable loss of Chris Griffin is just awful for us. This guy was a good lineman as a frosh and figured to be a big part of what we do in 2016. Whitley was promising as well, so losing both those guys is a big deal. Doesn't matter how good our skill guys are if the line isn't solid. We are already behind the 8-ball.

We could be anything from a .500 team to a really good team next year. To be really good the OL will have to rally and stay healthy, the defensive front seven will need to continue to mature and have 2014-type luck staying healthy. Skill guys look pretty good on both sides but won't look good without decent play in the trenches.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
my spring observations.

the negative

1) the second team D is not evaluatable IMO. They played against for the most part, a really out matched OL. Therefore all this second coming talk of a DT and some others...lets pause a bit IMO.

2) I don't read much into our DB play. For one, they are going against a team that has just a handful of routes in a route tree; and honestly, were jumping everything. This isn't the case in real life. I am actually concerned about our CB's I see no true field corner. We have a bunch of boundary guys. Roof also about almost played the same D a bunch making the offense performance even that much more sad. It was so basic, that there wasn't opportunity for miscommunication. I do think S is ok though. I do think we have CB issues and I think unless improvement summer and fall camp we will see this show up in fall and we will visit this topic. Prediction.

3) LB's especially OLB flash too wide alot at onset...probably due to habits picked up playing our spread offense. This is bad against power teams that run inside and outside zone since the LB will be out of position alot...and we see this struggle vs some teams that power zone alot. Need to fix.

4) The first team OL is just bad right now. No other way to put it. It was bad. no glossing over. They couldn't pick up a blitz, on one play action they literally just stood up and let the defenders run by them. Jail break. That was scheme...design...I don't get the design. I think the players can be ok...Individually you can see good play, as a unit its bad. They are never or rarely on the same page. 3 look good. 2 are a disaster. 4 looks good, 1 turns a guy loose. Flat tired of this. Yet no fix in place that we can see. Its been rinse and repeat at that position...you know what Einstein said about insanity.

5) no wr separation. CB good or WR just avg/basic play sets....going a tad more with the latter. We have perimeter issues IMO.

6) I thought overall team speed seemed slow. We looked slow as a team. Not sure if this was sluggish. Or not playing fast due to unsure. Or what...but we looked slow and I think that is why the D won the day. There seemed so little explosiveness on this team. The only players that have a true step was TM, JT...and???? Everyone else seemed just kinda there. Maybe my eyes are rusty. Concerned about team speed.

7) really think CPJ negativity on the field was not a way to do things with a young team I can see has NO confidence. Yelling at them "what else can I do I give up" is not good IMO. Coaches should yell, should get mad, can get frustrated but you have to know your team too. Paul said himself in the presser when they get down they don't fight back. That is a no confidence team and unit. And the HC stepping on that more has to change in this case. I rarely criticize CPJ for his antics, because for the most part I agree with him, he is a football coach, needs to yell, slap and be hard on the team. BUT in this case, TODAY, in this moment, he needs to pocket the verbal frustration of giving up with a young and learning team. With a senior team, I don't even mention this point...since thats different....I Am just talking about this unit today.

8) MLD has no business at WR. IMO leave him at back and move Qua to WR before doing what we did.

9) Its not his personality, but unless JT5 steps up as a semi vocal leader and shows more leadership in the huddle we will have a long year folks. He is being begged to step up i this manor...dude...please do more than call the play....yell a tad more...encourage verbally a tad more etc...I think that is a big difference. He is a senior. Everyone is looking to him....he needs to step up verbal just a tad.

Positives

1) Nice day

2) Ball security and penalties were good and suggest solid coaching of mental mistakes.

3) Despite being out of position some, the LB's seemed to be a deeper and more athletic unit; potential is there that needs to be realized

4) S seems solid...hard to tell, little mix play, but in general seem solid.

5) The D played fast and more aggressive. They were bringing nice energy

6) The first team DL...some of the bodies look more mature and bigger. Good start. The best 4 IMO is or will be gamble, freeman, kallon, KCH.

7) I would have liked to see #9 with the 1s more to evaluate.

8) despite my reservations with concluding much on the CB play, they did what they had to, and were physical.

9) as I mentioned earlier, all things held equal I want the D to stomp the O in this stage of ball...and they basically did. This AT LEAST means the D won't be a total dumpster fire; unless the O is truly that bad. I am not sure...I do think evaluating this team is nearly impossible in spring. And there is a ton more to D as the season goes week to week, you look at how the coach gameplans, kids communicate etc...so all that is TBD. But at least in this basic look they did what they shoulda.

10) still concerned about overall team speed. I can't get that outa my head.

I am sure I am missing some positives...Jeune will get S rolls all year...Stewart better step up or we need to find someone who can.

leaving the stadium my wife said, is it me or do they just look slow. unprompted...kinda random validated what I was thinking all along in my mind. Also leaving the stadium I was thinking 4-5 win team today....I see little confidence as a big reason. ALOT of work to do in the next 5 months.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Dont get too down. Spring is a tough time to show big.

Also I liked jalen and aj gray flying around. Besides curry I was suprised by the decisiveness and speed/quickness_ he hits and sticks. Hope he suprises. Right tackle seemed good as well.

I am hoping ol can be COACHED up or we all could be down.
I am not optimistic about upcoming season, OL, QB, WR, don't know about defense since it was played against our offense.