Spring game 2016

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
They showed a list of incoming freshman and they had Brandon Adams listed as OL, and they even talked about him or else I would have said it was a mistake, has anyone hearer this?

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Our qb development is concerning. Have we had a qb in cpj tenure that has improved year to year?

Hell, beyond cpj I don't think we've had qbs improve year to year since oleary.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Did anyone hear about the status of Quaide? I think I saw him walking around after he got hurt, but I didn't notice him in the game after that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As I saw it pass pro was uneven, there were a numbers of times when the QBs had a good pocket but held the ball because no one was open. Improvement needed? Of course but it wasn't all jailbreaks out there.

One time shaq took a big drop with griffin holding tight to line of scrimage. The tackle ran an s cruve around him. If griffin had dropped back, shaq woild have been ok. IT LOOKED LIKE FIRE DRILL.
Like that shaq played whole game.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I went to the game. I found it to be somewhat boring. Sorry for the negative comment. Jmo.

Maybe we need some rapper's to liven the place up next time.;)
PeteyPablo-1413933269.jpg

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Some of my observations:

D Line looked athletic and they had consistent penetration. Good because you want each unit to show up, bad because you're not sure if it's OL issues. Branch and Glanton are legit. Freeman looks stronger, and Kallon is actually using that size and athleticism we saw in his HS film. These guys will be something as the season goes on.

OL...Shamire is our best OL, and it's not even close. He wasn't anywhere near perfect, but when he's on, you can see why he's a next level player. Despite his less than ideal size, he trying hard and hustles back to the huddle. Saw him pull on couple of plays and it wasn't fair. Also got to the third level a few times. Pretty uneven day overall for the OL though. Too much penetration from the DL.

QB...JeT is JeT. Can't play in this offense and get a good read if the QB has the "two hand touch" rule in effect. Still made some plays despite it. Taquan Marshall looks exactly like the TM playing QB in his HS tape. Gifted with the ball in his hand, but impatient going through reads when he's suppose to pass. Saw open guys he could have hit, but decided to tuck and run instead. He never really takes a hit square on, and knows how to use space to his advantage. Will need a drastic improvement with his passing, but he's got ability in our option game. MJ is still holding the ball instead of pitching. A few times a pitch would have went for HUGE gain, but he pulled the ball. His OL didn't help him much, but seems to be running the offense a little better.

BB...our best BB is still the one that can't stay healthy. Allen looked good the few times he was able to touch the ball. Then got hurt running to the sidelines. Dedrick Mills may play this year. He's got ability, and is TOUGH to take down. Oh, he's also a true freshmen. If Allen can't stay healthy, it will be hard to keep the RS off Mills. CPJ said in the last Lunch Bunch that Mills will be a special player. Saw glimpses of it.

WRs. Not much standing out here to be honest. Brad is becoming more polished and knows how to create space underneath. Jeune did have a nice catch for TD from a great pass from JeT. Messick can get some separation...he just needs to catch the ball. MLD probably isn't fast enough to blow the top off, but he's a solid blocker.

ABs. Omarhi Jarrett showed the ability we've being hearing about. Needs to get some muscle on that frame. Not too much from the AB group, though they did get open, but our QBs had a hard time finding them or getting them the ball where they could catch it.

LBs. Good seeing Tre Jackson get a run with the ones. David Curry flew around. Vicious and PJ were all over the field. All in all, a better showing for the LBs, but don't remember a dominating presence from anyone.

DBs. Austin looked good in spurts, as did Durham, though some of the pass breakups were a product of bad passes from our QBs. Kind of a quiet day for AJ, but that's good thing for that spot.

CPJ was pretty salty today. Looked like he was letting the assistants call the game early on, but finally couldn't handle what was going on and took the reins back. Even saw yelling at the officials a few time. Guess even CPJ needs spring training, huh?

Saw that the official attendance was around 9K. Little disappointed in that as we tend to bash the local media for not covering us, but we can't even show up to support our guys when it's free...as was parking Beautiful day, and on a Saturday. No reason we shouldn't have had a better turnout.

Good seeing Keyaron Fox get recognition for academics. Dude looks like he can still strap it on and boss.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I think our depth on defense is exceptional. Might not have the big time names, but solid players with fresh legs works for me. I see a solid DE rotation forming. Branch is the real deal fellas, we are lucky he chose us. On the other side of the ball, JeT NEEDS TO GET HIS SWAGGER BACK. That is all. He isn't playing like the baller that won the orange bowl in 2014.

slugboy

Staff member
Our qb development is concerning. Have we had a qb in cpj tenure that has improved year to year?

Hell, beyond cpj I don't think we've had qbs improve year to year since oleary.
Since Fridge at OC. CPJ has gotten growth at QB IMO, but last year just was JT trying too much and forcing too much

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Boring.
D is outstanding or O is awful. QB play wasn't outstanding from anyone. I agree with the previous poster that JT doesn't look like a guy that has run this O for 3 years. Either the talent he had 2 years ago around him made him look that good or he just doesn't care anymore. He better be glad he had blue shirt on.

Some of you were praising TM at QB. He better hope he gets to run a lot. Can't throw for crap.

O line sucked IMO.
Dropped pass resulted in CPJ, saying "F it, I give up".
What does that say to your players?

D looked strong. Some flashes of playmakers on D.

Just my .02.

I'm sympathetic to this post, but I want to respond to your question.

I think the meaning of CPJ's comment depends on what happened next. If CPJ walked off the field afterward, it would mean one thing. If he stayed on the field and called the next play, it would mean something else.

I don't know what play it was, but it sounds like my reaction to Jordan's pass to Messick. Good enough protection. Open receiver. And neither QB nor WR made a D1 play, imo.

That being said, I think MJ showed improvement and greater patience over last year on the day. And he did it behind a less than stellar line.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If I wasn't successful in forgetting 2015, at least I put it in the rear view mirror as an aberration not likely to be repeated. But I did enter the spring looking for some sense of optimism, a jolt to break loose the '15 barnacles and give us hope for 2016. From comments on the board, but mostly from Johnson's reaction afterwards, I didn't get even a hint of it. Yes, I know Johnson's persona, a guy who hands out compliments like he had to buy them retail, the glass is empty guy. That being said, there was no sense of improvement from the horrors of 2015, and that is disheartening. Right about now I'm glad I grew a beard many years ago. A razor might be tempting.