Spain trip

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there anything to take away from this trip as far as lineups go? What are we thinking the starting lineup/rotation will look like this year?
Going into pre-season I thought the line-up to start the year would be: Alvarado-Devoe-Moore-Wright-Banks. With Usher maybe pushing Moore if Moore is not producing.

The development of Shambari Phillips might mean that we go three guards against smaller teams? Alvarado-Devoe-Phillips-Wright-Banks?

We have some depth and competition at the wing, so we will probably see some fluidity there. I expect Alvarado-Wright and Banks to be fixtures.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Everyone talking about Mose’s upside and I agree, but I think Khalid Moore is loaded with upside. I like the way he shoots, I like the way he cuts hard (has a real nice connection with Banks) but he just needs to be more aggressive on the offensive end. SjoNuff has been aggressive in putting up his shot in Spain, no doubt by design. Khalid should be doing the same IMHO

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You think Bubba will start next year with Devoe? How so?

I wasn't very clear.
Jose and Mike will start together the next 2 years. But if Parham doesn't get a waiver I could see him starting with Mike when they are both SR.

I was thinking more along the line of 3 guards for the 1 and 2 with it being Jose, Mike and Shembari this year and then Jose, Mike and Bubba next year.
It also is nice to see that Price has been playing pretty well for a T-Fr. He may not play much this year but that bolds well after this upcoming year.

Seeing what he did at TN I expected Shembari to be a rotation player last year (basically someone who plays 20-25 mpg - might be a starter, might come off the bench but plays significant min), that obviously did not happen. If it does happen this year in his SR yr that imo is a big boost to this season.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I wasn't very clear.
Jose and Mike will start together the next 2 years. But if Parham doesn't get a waiver I could see him starting with Mike when they are both SR.

I was thinking more along the line of 3 guards for the 1 and 2 with it being Jose, Mike and Shembari this year and then Jose, Mike and Bubba next year.
It also is nice to see that Price has been playing pretty well for a T-Fr. He may not play much this year but that bolds well after this upcoming year.

Seeing what he did at TN I expected Shembari to be a rotation player last year (basically someone who plays 20-25 mpg - might be a starter, might come off the bench but plays significant min), that obviously did not happen. If it does happen this year in his SR yr that imo is a big boost to this season.

I wonder how much we under-estimate the negative impact of Phillips not making any positive contribution on the difficulties of last year's team? Instead of getting a bonafide defender and a guy who could be counted on for ~10ppg and shooting a decent percentage, we got a player who simply bogged down the offense to the point where he couldn't be on the floor at all. This meant that more of the back-court load had to be handled by Alvarado, Haywood and Devoe, who did not appear to handle the pressure well given the epic mid-season shooting slump.

Phillips is a big, strong, athletic guard and if he can turn a corner on the offensive end, he could be, once again, an important guy (especially if Parham doesn't get a waiver).

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I 'm sure the competition is weak but having Cole and Price score like this is crazy.It has got to help their confidence.
Having Cole learn to play at the 5 could be critical in the season given our lack of big guys.Not only that but he hit 4-4 FTs. Unusual on this team on this trip.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Everyone talking about Mose’s upside and I agree, but I think Khalid Moore is loaded with upside. I like the way he shoots, I like the way he cuts hard (has a real nice connection with Banks) but he just needs to be more aggressive on the offensive end. SjoNuff has been aggressive in putting up his shot in Spain, no doubt by design. Khalid should be doing the same IMHO
I agree Khalid's going to be a very good player for us. And yes he needs to be more agressive offensively.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I also agree Moore can contribute More.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GT_EE78

Banned
I think Khalid Moore is loaded with upside. I like the way he shoots, I like the way he cuts hard but he just needs to be more aggressive on the offensive end.
That's what i was hoping to see as well. Even if CJP has to force the issue and theres a few missed shots, just get him involved . Moses breakout wasn't timely last year but he did breakout over last 5 or 6. Khalid's breakout is coming but i'm not ready yet to predict it's going to be this year .(sure hope it is tho)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's what i was hoping to see as well. Even if CJP has to force the issue and theres a few missed shots, just get him involved . Moses breakout wasn't timely last year but he did breakout over last 5 or 6. Khalid's breakout is coming but i'm not ready yet to predict it's going to be this year .(sure hope it is tho)

We are starting to see the "Get old, stay old" mantra mature...literally. This year is when Pastner's philosophy on building a team should pay off. Granted we would like to see more of our "own" recruits doing the heavy lifting and not transfers (Banks, Phillips, Usher, Parham), guys like Alvarado, Devoe, Moore, Moses, Cole, Sjolund are maturing in their development.